Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #541 of 4,994
Those can's are beautifulz.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #542 of 4,994

Quote:
Those can's are beautifulz.

Yes, quite beautiful.  If I had them, I think I'd always feel the need to apply furniture polish to them so I could keep them so beautiful.  Nothing like a Pledge shine. 
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #543 of 4,994

Quote:
Grev, I've been sinking more money into my home audio system, too.  My Monitor Audio RS-6 Silvers are about 2 years old, now -- and, still going strong.  On Friday, both the O2 arrived as well as my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier with a motorized volume control and a subwoofer output.  I was able to get it installed this weekend - nothing but beautiful music when want to listen in my man cave and not use the headphones for a bit.

i have no idea on where to hunt for vintage amps so lately I bought...

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer plus the Audioengine n22 amplifier...

Other than that as I said I'm patiently waiting for my FWJ from Martin in the new year and JDSLabs to get their O2 in stock in the new year too...

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #544 of 4,994

Quote:
wow, sounds great. i think i will order a pair:) how well do the magnums scale with amplification?

Lets say, I reckon that the ~$300 or whatever it is people here are paying for Magnum'ed cans is getting them a quality of headphones that people normally pay $1k or more for.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #545 of 4,994

Quote:
.....  and JDSLabs to get their O2 in stock in the new year too...

Which power requirement do you need to for the O2?  There's a US seller who has a few of these built and has sold them.  The seller has one for sale here in the FS section.  He currently has free shipping in the price, but may charge a bit more for International.  The front panel is the generic panel that was just drilled for the appropriate holes.  However, JDSLabs will have their panels available at the end of the month for $10.00 + shipping.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #546 of 4,994
Does anyone know how the O2 compares to the M3? I was planning on building one but those plans have been postponed due to the fact that the person who agreed to teach me to read schematics has found his hands full with marriage.. haha

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #548 of 4,994

I will get some wood inserts by this weekend and try them in my Jaben cups with the G-Cush. I have a feeling that this may be a winner.
Quote:
Has anyone tried a pair of MS1000 distancers and some GCush ? I have been listening to this for a few minutes and think it sounds pretty great.

Try it if you can.

Darren

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #549 of 4,994

Quote:
Which power requirement do you need to for the O2?  There's a US seller who has a few of these built and has sold them.  The seller has one for sale here in the FS section.  He currently has free shipping in the price, but may charge a bit more for International.  The front panel is the generic panel that was just drilled for the appropriate holes.  However, JDSLabs will have their panels available at the end of the month for $10.00 + shipping.

I didn't even know there was a power requirement?  D:  I don't mind waiting for them as I have many many gear still in boxes as I've originally bought them. :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #550 of 4,994

I love it.
This is becoming THE modular headphone of all time.
  1. 3 types of cups (and that's not including wood choice).
  2. 3 types of chambers
  3. 9-10 pad possibilities
  4. headband frame options from $20 to $200
  5. = endless permutations for sound and comfort tweaking

All we need now is a way to solder pin type connectors to the drivers so that you can easily switch them in and out without desoldering.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #551 of 4,994

Add a quick cable exchange connector type to allow various cable combination an we got the Ultimate Custom Headphone 
biggrin.gif
. We have created a monsters. A FrankenGragnum.
Quote:
I love it.
This is becoming THE modular headphone of all time.
  1. 3 types of cups (and that's not including wood choice).
  2. 3 types of chambers
  3. 9-10 pad possibilities
  4. = endless permutations for sound tweaking

All we need now is a way to solder pin type connectors to the drivers so that you can easily switch them in and out without desoldering.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #554 of 4,994
Dec 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #555 of 4,994
By the way, the cable exchange thing is easy I already do it on all of my phones. I have converted all of my cables to 4 pin mini xlr and have either wired the male end to the drivers with a short cable or made converters for my Hifiman headphones.

Quote:
I love it.
Opp, you need to change the name of this thread to
FrankenGragnum
Or else I will start a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back