Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #526 of 4,994

Quote:
I added the O2 (Objective 2) amplifier into my stream this weekend with my Magnums.  I swapped out my Sony Walkman for my Sansa Fuze and I've finally reached the musical eternity that I've been on for many years.  1/2 of my weekend was spent being lazy, just sitting on my couch and listening.  Just beautiful sounds.  Not too bad for a total rig price of about $450.00.

I'm travelling with a Fostex HP-P1 to effect the same thing. I've not enough time to build the O2 before I go, as it would be interesting to give it a fair run. 

About soundstage: The V1s, which were tonally identical to the 325is had a large (perceived) soundstage due to the frequency response being more mids- and treble-oriented. This also meant that they were absolutely golden with acoustic solos. Some of that was lost with later versions, but Rhydon seems to have nailed it totally (for me at least) with the V4s which arrived today and brought a spot-on balance to the overall FR, bringing back some of the V1 magic I'd missed.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #528 of 4,994

Quote:
wow, sounds great. i think i will order a pair:) how well do the magnums scale with amplification?

In my opinion, much better...

The reason for this was that some models of Grado especially the non wood models have a "sparkly" treble signature which can translate into some annoying sibilance with poor recordings. So if you had a solid state amp which added a bit of brightness (for example, iBasso's offerings tend to do this for me) it would be less than ideal. The Magnum treble is a little more polite and I believe that this leaves it open to scaling with the higher end amps although this is still somewhat not necessary due to how efficient they run. I have verified that they do play very well with a tube amp such as the Little Dot series, an XCan V3 build from Rock Grotto, and my neighbors Mapletree EAR amp which is a grail amp for many Grado enthusiasts.

YMMV, these were just my personal findings. These are my daily cans and I have them on my head for like six hours a day :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #529 of 4,994
The O2 amplifier with my wood Magnums almost wants me to call in sick.  Wait!  It's all portable, so I can pack it up and take it to work with me.
biggrin.gif

Simon, I've read where the Sansa Clip does well with the O2 just using the headphone out port.  For my Fuze, I'm using a LOD from FiiO, though.

Grev, I've been sinking more money into my home audio system, too.  My Monitor Audio RS-6 Silvers are about 2 years old, now -- and, still going strong.  On Friday, both the O2 arrived as well as my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier with a motorized volume control and a subwoofer output.  I was able to get it installed this weekend - nothing but beautiful music when want to listen in my man cave and not use the headphones for a bit.

I do have to say, I appreciate Marantz and Yamaha for still having a nice line of 2-channel integrated amplifiers.  This keeps some affordable gear within reach for those of us who can't jump on some Bryston all the time.  Plus, it also proves that they realized there is still a market for it and not everyone is in the need for a home theater receiver.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #530 of 4,994

Good to know. I always fine the output of the Clip+ to be a bit dark but that may be cause I 'm running Rockport on it. I will try it for sure with the O2.

Quote:
The O2 amplifier with my wood Magnums almost wants me to call in sick.  Wait!  It's all portable, so I can pack it up and take it to work with me.
biggrin.gif

Simon, I've read where the Sansa Clip does well with the O2 just using the headphone out port.  For my Fuze, I'm using a LOD from FiiO, though.

Grev, I've been sinking more money into my home audio system, too.  My Monitor Audio RS-6 Silvers are about 2 years old, now -- and, still going strong.  On Friday, both the O2 arrived as well as my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier with a motorized volume control and a subwoofer output.  I was able to get it installed this weekend - nothing but beautiful music when want to listen in my man cave and not use the headphones for a bit.

I do have to say, I appreciate Marantz and Yamaha for still having a nice line of 2-channel integrated amplifiers.  This keeps some affordable gear within reach for those of us who can't jump on some Bryston all the time.  Plus, it also proves that they realized there is still a market for it and not everyone is in the need for a home theater receiver.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #531 of 4,994
You are right for the volume level. With my MAD Ear+ amplifier my volume level went from 10 to almost 12 for same volume level. That is with a full MS-Ultimate mod with the G-Cush pads.

Also I have just noticed your Avatar. Very nice!  Would those be close back Grado base headphone???? Can you elaborate on the sound signature result?  I have done a transplant in close back but the result was bad so I have now converted it to full open back now but even then the sound is not Grado (maybe Gradoish) 

Quote:
I was curious about the MS Ultimate mod and I tried recessing the driver (Grado driver, not Magnum) in a set of cups but a) I only recessed it about 1/4 inch deep and b) was using L-cush pads, not the G.

To properly do that mod I think that you need to sink the driver at least 10-11mm and also use the G-cush pads.  I will order a pair of those pads and try out the full mod.  The one thing that was immediately obvious even in my 1/4' recessed mount was the decrease in volume.  I needed to increase the volume on my amp to achieve the same loudness as prior when the driver was mounted flush.  I wonder how much more volume gets lost with an even deeper driver and G-cush pads.  I did not hear any noticeable change in the soundstage, but again I was not doing the full mod properly.

Guess there is only one way to find out.  I do occasionally miss my K701s and only for that quality (soundstage).

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #534 of 4,994

Quote:
You are right for the volume level. With my MAD Ear+ amplifier my volume level went from 10 to almost 12 for same volume level. That is with a full MS-Ultimate mod with the G-Cush pads.

Also I have just noticed your Avatar. Very nice!  Would those be close back Grado base headphone???? Can you elaborate on the sound signature result?  I have done a transplant in close back but the result was bad so I have now converted it to full open back now but even then the sound is not Grado (maybe Gradoish) 

Thanks - I couldn't be happier with how these turned out visually.  These are a prototype design I'm still working on - and they're actually...not closed.  
wink_face.gif

The sound I am still tweaking.  They have potential, what I am getting right now sound-wise is definitely promising.  Not something I'll release/sell unless I can get it to a point where the sonic performance matches the looks (or at least comes close).  I've been testing these with Magnum drivers, but I think it should do very well with Grados also.

Bigger photo:

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #535 of 4,994

Quote:
I added the O2 (Objective 2) amplifier into my stream this weekend with my Magnums.  I swapped out my Sony Walkman for my Sansa Fuze and I've finally reached the musical eternity that I've been on for many years.  1/2 of my weekend was spent being lazy, just sitting on my couch and listening.  Just beautiful sounds.  Not too bad for a total rig price of about $450.00.

+1 to the O2

Quote:
OH MY GOODNESS, since Martin will have my FWJ here early next year, and since I will be getting two of the O2 amps from JDSLabs, and I have three Sansa Clip+ already, I will have the same setup as you!! :D

But I've been sinking alot more money into speakers lately... haha

Pretty nice set up, the clip+ has a fairly nice dac. 

Quote:
I still have to build my two O2 amplifier. I haven't had time for it. Maybe in the holiday between Christmas and new year. I cannot wait with all the good review I have read so far.

DO it

Quote:

How is it? I haven't gotten around to building it since I'm clinging onto my current desktop setup like the dickens but I have this odd feeling it's going to beat what I have now... it's supposed to be the amp to debunk this whole headphone amp business right?

I love the 02. Super transparent and gives plenty of juice to everything I've plugged into it so far. 

Quote:
Good to know. I always fine the output of the Clip+ to be a bit dark but that may be cause I 'm running Rockport on it. I will try it for sure with the O2.

Rockbox* methinks. Rockbox actually corrects a a little spike in the Clip's playback (not in the lower end though), I think sansa also fixed it with their firmware updates as well though. Rockbox gives you a lot more usability and customization imho.

Quote:

Thanks - I couldn't be happier with how these turned out visually.  These are a prototype design I'm still working on - and they're actually...not closed.  
wink_face.gif

The sound I am still tweaking.  They have potential, what I am getting right now sound-wise is definitely promising.  Not something I'll release/sell unless I can get it to a point where the sonic performance matches the looks (or at least comes close).  I've been testing these with Magnum drivers, but I think it should do very well with Grados also.

O.o 
popcorn.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #536 of 4,994
Very impressive wood work. So what you are not saying or showing is that their is holes all around the cylinder of the cup body??? very ingenious. Consider me impress.  

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Bigger photo:

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #537 of 4,994

Quote:
Not too shabby a budget setup for $250

magnum v4 drivers $130
sanza fuze flac files $60
mogami cable $15
l-cush pads $20
sony headband $10
diy mahogany air chambers $5
grado plastic slip ons $15

Still waiting for the upper mids to settle down, but otherwise enjoying the fit and tone. Very light and comfortable.

Invest $120 more in an Objective 2 amplifier and your system will OWN !!

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #538 of 4,994

Quote:
Rockbox* methinks. Rockbox actually corrects a a little spike in the Clip's playback (not in the lower end though), I think sansa also fixed it with their firmware updates as well though. Rockbox gives you a lot more usability and customization imho.

Chris,

I wish I could share some more love for Rockbox.  I used to have it on my Sansa.  With the smaller LCD screen, I had some issues with getting the proper theme and font utilization to make it usable from a visual perspective.  In the end, I just moved back to the drab Sansa interface and I'm content with it at the moment. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #540 of 4,994

Quote:

Chris,

I wish I could share some more love for Rockbox.  I used to have it on my Sansa.  With the smaller LCD screen, I had some issues with getting the proper theme and font utilization to make it usable from a visual perspective.  In the end, I just moved back to the drab Sansa interface and I'm content with it at the moment. 

Try it again. There are a lot more options now. I'm really fond of the YellowBar theme myself. There are tons of themes and fonts available, including one set up to look just like the default sansa play screen. 

You are going to need to download the rockbox utility, and then you need a .bin of the old firmware, I can set that up in a download for you. 

-edit-

Oh wait, you have a Fuze, while I have a clip+. I can't say for sure if they have added themes and fonts for the fuze that you might find satisfactory and I'm not sure if you'll need a .bin file, if you do, it's not one i have handy, but I could probably locate it relatively easy. Let me know if you decide to try rockbox again and it asks for a .bin of some sort, I'll help you find it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back