Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 14, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #574 of 4,994

Quote:
wje said:

Hmm ... I wonder if Rhydon has had any purchase requests from the Grado group in Brooklyn, NY so they could see what all this "rage" was about? 
wink.gif

That would be intriguing...

But, it would make sense for the Brooklyn based customer to buy a few to :
1. see what the hoo-haa is about..
2. to "borrow" ideas..
3. To see if any proprietary work was borrowed
wink.gif

I'm not saying they would do it but they could do it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #575 of 4,994

Quote:
the cable was the mogami mic cable everyone recommends around here. I don't blame it, it's just I don't think it helps solve and may even aggrevate the problem I'm hearing......I also tried taking off the plastic slip ons and upper mids stayed the same. No surprise there........I guess I may have to try aluminum chambers (which I also doubt are the problem because I love the hf2 and it has same mahog chamber I've tried with these mags).....I suspect it's the drivers or lack of break in hopefully (40 hours so far)...........Or I find a cable that just happens to counteract the upper mid tendancy in the driver since I'm sure at least part of it if not all is the driver itself......

If you love HF2's  the Magnums aren't going to be your style.  HF2s to me are a sennheisered Grado,  I hated them.   But everyone is different in their preferences.   I wouldn't spend anymore time on the magnums having heard both,  the sound signature is completely different to my ears.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #576 of 4,994
I find this kinda funny, because a Sennheisered Grado is essentially what I called the Magnum.

Quote:
If you love HF2's  the Magnums aren't going to be your style.  HF2s to me are a sennheisered Grado,  I hated them.   But everyone is different in their preferences.   I wouldn't spend anymore time on the magnums having heard both,  the sound signature is completely different to my ears.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #577 of 4,994

Quote:
the cable was the mogami mic cable everyone recommends around here. I don't blame it, it's just I don't think it helps solve and may even aggrevate the problem I'm hearing......I also tried taking off the plastic slip ons and upper mids stayed the same. No surprise there........I guess I may have to try aluminum chambers (which I also doubt are the problem because I love the hf2 and it has same mahog chamber I've tried with these mags).....I suspect it's the drivers or lack of break in hopefully (40 hours so far)...........Or I find a cable that just happens to counteract the upper mid tendancy in the driver since I'm sure at least part of it if not all is the driver itself......

I honestly don't think the aluminum chambers would help with that. There seems to be a peak in the upper mids (5K-ish) in the drivers that may lead to slight sibilance in that region. It's very slight with the V3.5 I heard, and only on certain recordings (with female vocals sometimes), but much less offensive than the Grados I've heard. 

Never heard the HF-2s, but just looking at the frequency chart on innerfidelity, this upper-mid peak is missing. That would explain why its less problematic in this range. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #579 of 4,994
I love my Magnums with deep mahogany woodies and AKG valor pads mod!

They offer more soundstage compare to bowls and quater-modded comfies. The bass is great with them as well. The bass is less prominent than quarter comfies but better than Bowls. Most importand of all is th texture/timber I'm hearing from these babies!

Now I understand why people speak so highly of the liberator/g pad mod for these babies. Except the valor pads are super comfy: )

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #580 of 4,994
Can you post some pictures of your Magnum?  That would be very nice.  
biggrin.gif
 Please!

Quote:
I love my Magnums with deep mahogany woodies and AKG valor pads mod!
They offer more soundstage compare to bowls and quater-modded comfies. The bass is great with them as well. The bass is less prominent than quarter comfies but better than Bowls. Most importand of all is th texture/timber I'm hearing from these babies!
Now I understand why people speak so highly of the liberator/g pad mod for these babies. Except the valor pads are super comfy: )

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #584 of 4,994
That is very nice indeed. Can you notice a difference in the soundstage? (maybe not enough recess)

Quote:
yeah I'm almost sold on the small liberator too. More for comfort than tone though. Just have to turn up the volume a touch and its very similar to stock 'flush' sound imo........And I'm one who listens to alot of rocknroll and like the inyour face sound. Amazingly I really like the slight recessed driver (liberator)....I know you asked for a pic of his liberators, but in the meantime, here's mine/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back