Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #4,831 of 4,994
Thanks so much for these comparisons! I tried asking a similar question about Grado/DIY headphone drivers on the r/headphones subreddit, but I didn't really get much of a response. Considering that I'm looking to build my first custom Grado-style headphones, it kind of sounds like I should go for the Nhoord Red V2. Its priced pretty reasonably compared to some of the other options out there, and I like the idea of using a more all-rounder driver for my first build. Do you have any intentions of purchasing or trying the Symphones V9? Obviously, its appearances are quite different than the ones that came before, so maybe its a significant upgrade from the versions that came before. Although it sounds like the overall sound signature is similar to previous versions, so maybe it still won't present enough of a difference to justify keeping it compared to the Epsilon S1/S2. By the way, how do the Red V2 and Epsilon S1/S2 compare? I noticed you didn't comment much about the S1/S2 sound signature. I'm kinda debating between the Red V2 or Symphones V9 for my build, and if the S1 sounds like the V8, then maybe a comparison between the S1 and Red V2 will give me a better idea of the direction I should go. Thanks again for the helpful firsthand knowledge!

Some things to consider when reading my impressions: all of my builds have dynamat in the cups and some also have dynamat on the back of the driver magnet or sorbothane.

The Red V2 is the least bright of all the alternative drivers that I've heard and they are a bit light on the bass compared to the S1/S2 so mine have 2 vent holes opened up along with dynamat lining the holes. The S1 my replacement for a HD600 since they are fairly similar but the S1 goes lower, lacks the peak in the 4-5khz of the HD600 that bothered me at times and is much easier to drive. The other thing to consider is the pads that you will be using, I mainly use generic G-pads but since the QC on generic ones is really hit or miss what I've been doing is to order 5-6 pairs from different vendors and test them to find which I like the best then quickly order 3-4 more pairs from that vendor. Some builds like the V7 that I got to try thanks to @fleasbaby actually sound better with OEM L-pads so you should experiment with different pads (L or G and both OEM and generic and if you are lucky the Beautiful Audio ones which are quite pricy but to me altered the sound too much but they are very very comfortable) to see what you prefer.

Alt drivers - RS2e.jpg
L to R: RS2e, Ypsilon S1, Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon R1

Any of you guys ever heard any of the Eleven Acousticas drivers as they intended?
A couple months ago I purchased a complete set of R1 drivers with RS1 Clone cups and Cable for a friends build, they did the assembly (free of charge) and sent them ready to be installed in the headband, they sound so much better than my build (which sounds brilliant btw) using the exact same R1 drivers with cups and cable from different vendors .
Drivers are just a component of the headphones assembly, there are equally important things to consider if you're after great sounding Grado-ish headphones.
Just my 2 cents.
Agree, my R1 is in cups from Ellevenacoutica and it sounds great but the G1 that I had actually sounded better in GS style cups that I got from ebay IIRC.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,832 of 4,994
Thanks so much for these comparisons! I tried asking a similar question about Grado/DIY headphone drivers on the r/headphones subreddit, but I didn't really get much of a response. Considering that I'm looking to build my first custom Grado-style headphones, it kind of sounds like I should go for the Nhoord Red V2. Its priced pretty reasonably compared to some of the other options out there, and I like the idea of using a more all-rounder driver for my first build. Do you have any intentions of purchasing or trying the Symphones V9? Obviously, its appearances are quite different than the ones that came before, so maybe its a significant upgrade from the versions that came before. Although it sounds like the overall sound signature is similar to previous versions, so maybe it still won't present enough of a difference to justify keeping it compared to the Epsilon S1/S2. By the way, how do the Red V2 and Epsilon S1/S2 compare? I noticed you didn't comment much about the S1/S2 sound signature. I'm kinda debating between the Red V2 or Symphones V9 for my build, and if the S1 sounds like the V8, then maybe a comparison between the S1 and Red V2 will give me a better idea of the direction I should go. Thanks again for the helpful firsthand knowledge!

Any of you guys ever heard any of the Eleven Acousticas drivers as they intended?
A couple months ago I purchased a complete set of R1 drivers with RS1 Clone cups and Cable for a friends build, they did the assembly (free of charge) and sent them ready to be installed in the headband, they sound so much better than my build (which sounds brilliant btw) using the exact same R1 drivers with cups and cable from different vendors .
Drivers are just a component of the headphones assembly, there are equally important things to consider if you're after great sounding Grado-ish headphones.
Just my 2 cents.

I was going to chime in and say, drivers are just a single part of the resulting sound signature. The V7 I toured were mounted in Black Limba inner sleeves, that were in Maple outer cups. I've heard the V7 in other cups since and cup depth, wall thickness, outside venting hole, how you mount the driver in the cup (glued in vs foam mount vs press-fit), all these things appear to play a part....on top of that damping schemes (as David A mentions) help as well.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #4,835 of 4,994
I ended up deciding to put my V9s up for sale. My understanding is that they pair best with L-Cush pads, but those just don't sit great on my ears. With Ear Zonk G-Cush and HD414 pads, I wasn't getting quite as aggressive a presentation or as bassy a sound as I wanted.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #4,836 of 4,994
Just finished up this custom build using V9 drivers. They started life as a pair of Bushmills X Grados. The owner bought them second hand and severely beaten on eBay. The mandate was to save the logos. That was all. I was kindly given full creative license for the rest. Was loads of fun sewing inside a pair of these and then duplicating them. Worked out well too. The V9 drivers sound fantastic. The venting works well amd gives them plenty of room to breathe.

Cups are Mahogany, Walnut, Maple and the Oak logo discs. Gimbals are by Shipibo, headband is by Turbulent, cable is by Ted at Headphonelounge. Drivers are, of course, Symphones V9.

IMG_20191206_171816_031.jpg IMG_20191206_171816_014.jpg 20191206_171052.jpg 20191206_171107.jpg 20191206_171021.jpg 20191206_171007.jpg

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #4,840 of 4,994
Looks fabulous.

Did you turn your headphone into a closed design, since the back seems to be closed?

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #4,842 of 4,994
Looks fabulous.

Did you turn your headphone into a closed design, since the back seems to be closed?

Not really. The Bushmills got a lot of buzz when they first came out because everyone thought Grado had finally made a closed-back can. Not quite....the outside face on the stock Bushmills is made in such a way that there is extensive venting underneath it, hidden by an overhanging lip. In addition they still use the stock Grado foam pads.

I did the same thing in my recreation.

In theory, you could MAYBE increase the isolation on this design by making the cups so that they can accommodate a Beyerdynamic DT770 style velour pad. That solves the leakage caused by the pads. You'd still have that venting letting in sound from the outside world though. Closing up the venting just destroys the sound completely. The drivers cannot (as far as I know) be tweaked to accommodate a fully sealed cup.

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,844 of 4,994
Look what's here :) Fantastic to look at and listen to. My first Magnum so I wasn't sure what to expect. Definitely more low end presence than my 225e or Ypsilon.

Fleasbaby/Bruce has really built an amazing set of customs over the years. Each time is more creative than the next. No more Ebay buys for me. That set of trashed Bushmills was an expensive lesson but resulted in an outstanding experiment carried out by Bruce.

Fleasbaby headphones 13.1.jpg

Fleasbaby headphones 21.1.jpg

Headphones Fleasbaby 1.1.jpg
Not really. The Bushmills got a lot of buzz when they first came out because everyone thought Grado had finally made a closed-back can. Not quite....the outside face on the stock Bushmills is made in such a way that there is extensive venting underneath it, hidden by an overhanging lip. In addition they still use the stock Grado foam pads.

I did the same thing in my recreation.

In theory, you could MAYBE increase the isolation on this design by making the cups so that they can accommodate a Beyerdynamic DT770 style velour pad. That solves the leakage caused by the pads. You'd still have that venting letting in sound from the outside world though. Closing up the venting just destroys the sound completely. The drivers cannot (as far as I know) be tweaked to accommodate a fully sealed cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back