Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #4,561 of 4,994
I have been always curious about that SMC mod.
AFAIK, RF connectors including SMCs have 50 to 75 ohms of impeadance.
Such amount of impeadance could be relatively huge for low impeadance headphones like grados.
And.. that kind of change can affect sound. Isn't it?
Is it safe to use SMC connectors for headphones?
Since I don't know electricity well, it might be silly question.

I have gone back to a hardwired cable, turns out the wood of the cups was quite thick and thus the SMC connectors were not screwing in enough to make a proper contact the the right ear cut in and out.

I won't be changing the cable out anyway so it made sense to go back to hardwired.

But the 50-75 Ohm impedance is normally a charateristic of the cable used, and not the connectors. Just like how you use regular RCA plugs on coaxial cables, as it is the cable that should be rated at 75 Ohms.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #4,562 of 4,994
Question, the fine cloth that covers the drivers of M7 build are starting to lift off. Do I remove them or re glue them? They are in my first build that I have been using daily since late 2016, I think its time to tidy them them up. They are such a good fit in my system so I haven't caught the build bug also my spare time has been in short supply recently.

Best way I found, with minimal danger to your driver diaphragms is to take a kid's glue stick, and use that. It dries invisible, and doesn't affect sound. Forms a good bond when it dries too.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,563 of 4,994
Best way I found, with minimal danger to your driver diaphragms is to take a kid's glue stick, and use that. It dries invisible, and doesn't affect sound. Forms a good bond when it dries too.

I've been a little pushed for time, so thanks for the replies. I had thought of a foam roller to put a glue on but kid's glue sticks is the way I'll go. I also have some V8's on the way and have to decided on cups my first set have rs1 style, so its stick or twist between those and Gs style?

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #4,564 of 4,994
Decided to mod my SR80s, and well, ended up replacing nearly everything. The new headband, V8 drivers, Sapele cups and cable were all supplied by Spin Audio, along with Grado G Cushions from Grado. Objective was to see if I could get close to my RS2es but with a smoother treble response and a little better extension on the bass, AND trying to stay on a budget of $300. Objective achieved! Much smoother sound across the frequency band with good base extension. Sound stage and imaging very close to the RS2es. The mods are slightly less resolving than the RS2es, and mids a little less forward, but end up less fatiguing across a wider variety of music. The RS2es really excel at music with a lot of space and air, but get too intense with a lot going on especially in live mixes. Initially tried the EarZonk G Gush and Grado L-Cushion. The L was OK, but the EZ G-Cush just didn't cut it. Blotchy sound stage and overly recessed mids. Adding the Grado G-Cushion changed everything... dramatically, including much more added comfort for my ears. Don't have impedance/sensitivity specs for the V8s, but they need much more power than my RS2es. Finding the best sound via high-gain setting in my Magni 3.

V8 Mods-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,565 of 4,994
I've been a little pushed for time, so thanks for the replies. I had thought of a foam roller to put a glue on but kid's glue sticks is the way I'll go. I also have some V8's on the way and have to decided on cups my first set have rs1 style, so its stick or twist between those and Gs style?

I don't know if you need a specific brand. If it helps I used the one that has a purple stick and an orange label (trying to find the damn thing, with no success, can't remember the brand...).

Being an MoT, I can't talk too much about cups, especially since I make them, but personally, its an aesthetic choice. The wider outside face, with heavier woods, can give an incredibly marginal change in signature....subjectively speaking, in the low end. Not sure what the change is to create that perception though.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,568 of 4,994
Any of you guys tried the Magnum V8?

This was my take: In back to back, A-B testing, the V8 is a noticeable improvement over the V7. It is smoother, more balanced and exhibits greater control. The V7 driver could get a bit loose with deep bass tracks and this is essentially resolved with the V8. The midrange steps back a little (compared to the V7’s forwardness) and the overall sound presentation is more balanced and refined.

May 4, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,570 of 4,994
Yes...using a pair in one of my personal builds. Its an improvement over the V7 in some ways. A little less bassy...

What are the differences in your experience

May 4, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #4,571 of 4,994
Subjectively speaking, sound is a little tighter, extension is still there, but lower end isn't as loose.

May 13, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #4,572 of 4,994
Hi everyone! Few days ago I purchased a grado sr60 by second hand and well, for my taste It sounds very bassy, so I opened It and saw two driver without "grado 32" word, so I think I was cheated. For this I wanted to buy some drivers and found these thread.

Worth It buy a pair of Symphones V8 or It is better to buy a new grado sr60 or sr80 new?

Thanks for all and excuse my English.

May 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,573 of 4,994
Hi everyone! Few days ago I purchased a grado sr60 by second hand and well, for my taste It sounds very bassy, so I opened It and saw two driver without "grado 32" word, so I think I was cheated. For this I wanted to buy some drivers and found these thread.

Worth It buy a pair of Symphones V8 or It is better to buy a new grado sr60 or sr80 new?

Thanks for all and excuse my English.
I'm not an expert on Grado driver markings but I can't imagine a SR60 having too much bass, most think the SR60 lacks bass and its why many mod them opening vent holes to get a touch more bass.

If you are going to buy new drivers like the V8 I suggest getting some wood cups since trying to remove the drivers from the plastic SR series cups is difficult to do without doing damage to the cups and driver housing.

And there are other drivers you might be interested in: Nhoord Red V2, Elleven Acoustica Ypsilon S2, G1, R1, and Turbulent Labs in addition to the Symphones V8.

Some pictures of my SR60 with mods:
SR60 new silk organza material.jpg
replaced the old grill cloth with silk organza, added dynamat around the cups, back of the driver and next to the 3 open vent holes, also installed SMC jacks for removable cables.

SR60-leather headband.jpg
With leather headband and G-pads

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #4,574 of 4,994
Hey guys, one of my V7 drivers bit the dust early this morning, if you happen to have a spare one for sale let me know... or if you have any pair of drivers that you're selling let me know!

EDIT: Never mind I guess these drivers are very resilient, it's working perfectly again! Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back