Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #4,531 of 4,994
Of the drivers that I've heard:
Ypsilon R1 >/= Ypsilon G1 > Ypsilon S2 >/= Nhoord Red V2 > Magnum V7 > Original Ypsilon > Original Nhoord > Magnum V6
Between the R1 and G1 its more of a preference, same as between the S2 and Red V2
I haven't had a chance to hear the Magnum V8 or Turbulent X yet so I don't know where they would fall on the list

Turbulent X imho, are excellent (tuned by Rhydon v8’s), but if they’re still €70 inc shipping I’d go with the Nhoord’s. They’re slightly warmer than the Turbulent X imho. otherwise they’re similarly tuned.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #4,532 of 4,994
Nhoords suit metal?

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #4,533 of 4,994
If you are interested, just put together a beginners article on modding for headphonesty.com.
Nice job and some really useful info and links. I’m looking at the ear pads in particular (look stunning) But how do they compare to the L&G cush pads?

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #4,535 of 4,994
Nhoords suit metal?
In all honesty, I don’t listen to enough metal on a regular basis to answer you on that, but classic and acoustic rock sure sounds great on them. They have a slight mid-bass hump, as do most Grado replacements, but most of my friends agree that Jaco has done a great job with them and enjoy the sound they make. The Turbulent X, to me, seems to have a slightly less pronounced hump than the Nhoord though, otherwise they seem quite similar.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #4,536 of 4,994
Oh, definitely use the L Cush for metal and not the G!

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #4,537 of 4,994
Just did a quick compare and I definitely prefer the X’s over the Nhoords for metal, just been comparing Moonlight Sonata - Exmortus, on the two. I’ve come to the conclusion based on only that one track though, using both L & G Cush pads. So I’d say Turbulent X with L cush of my 2 pairs. Of course your dap/amp/cables may vary, I’m using Pioneer xdp-300 and Little dot mk2 with VE Junkosha silver cable at the moment.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,538 of 4,994
So a few weeks ago I asked if anyone here had ordered from Concord Custom Lab in the past, but no one seemed to know about them. I went ahead and ordered a set of aluminium gimbals and rod-blocks for a project that has been laying around for years now, and this week I received the packet. Since maybe someone else could be in the same situation as me, I though I could share my experience just in case anyone else is interested.

I want to clarify that I'm not related with CCL in any way, I'm just a customer sharing my experience with a particular seller (if this is against the rules, please mods feel free to delete this post).

The purchase process itself was straighforward: I contacted them to explain what I wanted, payed trough paypal, the packet was shipped quickly and I received it in the expected time-frame. I must say that I'm extremely satisfied with the quality of the product. I've never ordered gimbals from any other seller, but I must say that I'm blown away with the level of attention to detail put into these, exquisite craftmanship.

A few pictures (my apologies for the terrible quality):

Gimbals_zpsu0mloh13.jpg

Rod%20block%20detail_zpshak9w539.jpg

side%20detail_zpssx6bwxhd.jpg

Open%20rod%20block_zpsnlyprhcd.jpg

So in summary: extremely satisfied.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #4,539 of 4,994
So a few weeks ago I asked if anyone here had ordered from Concord Custom Lab in the past, but no one seemed to know about them. I went ahead and ordered a set of aluminium gimbals and rod-blocks for a project that has been laying around for years now, and this week I received the packet. Since maybe someone else could be in the same situation as me, I though I could share my experience just in case anyone else is interested.

I want to clarify that I'm not related with CCL in any way, I'm just a customer sharing my experience with a particular seller (if this is against the rules, please mods feel free to delete this post).

The purchase process itself was straighforward: I contacted them to explain what I wanted, payed trough paypal, the packet was shipped quickly and I received it in the expected time-frame. I must say that I'm extremely satisfied with the quality of the product. I've never ordered gimbals from any other seller, but I must say that I'm blown away with the level of attention to detail put into these, exquisite craftmanship.

A few pictures (my apologies for the terrible quality):

Gimbals_zpsu0mloh13.jpg

Wow! Looks great!

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #4,540 of 4,994

A few pictures (my apologies for the terrible qua

Gimbals_zpsu0mloh13.jpg

Thanks for posting!

What are your plans for a headband?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,541 of 4,994
Thanks for posting!

What are your plans for a headband?

You are very welcome!

For the headband I've ordered a Turbulent Labs black XL headband. Did some DIY headbands in the past, but this time I going for a more "professional" look (plus I don't relly have the time for that now).

These are the cups that I'm using for this build (I have to re-polish them since they where recovered from a heavily modified SR60 I did a few years ago and are a little scratched):

IMG_20180303_170024_zpscjl9nj5j.jpg

Now, I just have to decide which drivers I want to use (I have a spare pair of V6 Symphones, but I will probably use them in another build). I'm in between V8 and Nhoord Red, guess I will have to do some research, because my experience with drivers is limited to V4 Magnums from another build I did a long time ago.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,543 of 4,994
You have a really beautiful looking build so far. What will you use for the cable?!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks!

I'm going with a DIY cable. Basically 4 strands of 24AWG 6N OCC Copper with a .50 microns gold plating twisted together, covered with teflon insulation, covered with a cotton sleeve, covered with a copper mesh, another layer of teflon and a nylon multifilament sleeve. This is a (very bad) picture of how it looks like (there's also pictured a reel of the wire that I use):

IMG_20180304_130514_zpsnitucpaq.jpg

I'm still undecided about the final construction of the cable itself. I don't know if it's going to be a two wire construction (one wire for each side, two strands of each wire for both positive and negative) or if I'm going full overkill with a four wire construction (two wires for each side, one for posive and one for negative so 4 conductors for both positive and negative).

A two wire construction should be perfectly fine since the individual strands are enamel insulated and, even when twisted together very tightly, there's no conductivity between conductors, and it's hoing to be half the work and will result in a lighter cable and an easier to deal with in daily use one. Still, there's something telling me that I should go with a different geometry (maybe a 4 wire with 2 conductors for wire) or stick with what I know it works and go for a 4 wire construction. Just for reference, this is a 4 wire cable I did for my LCD-2 with the same geometry:

IMG_20180304_131108_zpsrmesa4i2.jpg

Any suggestion about this matter would be much appreciated.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #4,544 of 4,994
Very good looking cable you have there. You can always consider doing detachable cables on your build. Then you can have a light shorter cable and a heavier longer cable for some serious listening sessions.
If you end up not using one you can always recoup your money by selling it to one of us headphone junkies. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back