Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #4,546 of 4,994
@Alcaudon, very nice cable there. I like your thinking about the weight since most Grado headphones are so light I find that I want the cable to be as light as possible. I really hate the new 8 conductor cables that Grado is using since its too heavy and not very flexible and for me they are too long for portable and too short for my listening area so as @wormsdriver suggest I'd say install some jacks so you can make the cables removable.

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #4,549 of 4,994
Finally got round to fitting SMC connectors to my Shipibo build with V8 drivers. I used the Lavricables cable I have for internal wiring, it is solid core silver and sometimes a pain to work with (solid core silver breaks easily)

IMG_20180306_103431-01.jpeg
IMG_20180306_103126-01.jpeg
IMG_20180306_103104-01.jpeg

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #4,550 of 4,994
Ive got a question for anyone who might be able to help. I got a Pair of Bose QC25 that have driver failures and got the idea of using the V8 drivers as a replacement. It would be fun to see a close back noise canceling v8 driver headphone! im having a hard time confirming the driver size of the bose, I think its 40mm from some cheap replacements found on eBay. I am also wondering if the grado drivers are 40mm and if the v8 are 40mm as well. If they are all 40mm it should fit fairly easy. Im not sure about the hight of the driver units though.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #4,551 of 4,994
Ive got a question for anyone who might be able to help. I got a Pair of Bose QC25 that have driver failures and got the idea of using the V8 drivers as a replacement. It would be fun to see a close back noise canceling v8 driver headphone! im having a hard time confirming the driver size of the bose, I think its 40mm from some cheap replacements found on eBay. I am also wondering if the grado drivers are 40mm and if the v8 are 40mm as well. If they are all 40mm it should fit fairly easy. Im not sure about the hight of the driver units though.

I think the magnums, in fact all Grado clones are designed to be used in an open backed headphone. I’m pretty sure I’ve read this numerous times and on most of the Grado clone forums. Not sure how they’d sound in a closed back cup, but I’m sure someone will chime in if they’ve tried it.

Good luck finding replacement drivers though!

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #4,553 of 4,994

I've tried Grado drivers in closed cups. It doesn't work at all. Sounds terrible. You get something passable when you vent the cups, but you have to vent heavily...

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #4,554 of 4,994
Question, the fine cloth that covers the drivers of M7 build are starting to lift off. Do I remove them or re glue them? They are in my first build that I have been using daily since late 2016, I think its time to tidy them them up. They are such a good fit in my system so I haven't caught the build bug also my spare time has been in short supply recently.

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #4,555 of 4,994
Question, the fine cloth that covers the drivers of M7 build are starting to lift off. Do I remove them or re glue them? They are in my first build that I have been using daily since late 2016, I think its time to tidy them them up. They are such a good fit in my system so I haven't caught the build bug also my spare time has been in short supply recently.
I'd try to re-glue them but if they are worn then I'd replace with silk organza. I've used both super glue and carpenters glue (latex type so it wouldn't soften with moisture once dry) to attach the silk organza. Here's what I did for a really old SR60 that the old cloth just fell off:
SR60 new silk organza material.jpg

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #4,556 of 4,994
Finally got round to fitting SMC connectors to my Shipibo build with V8 drivers. I used the Lavricables cable I have for internal wiring, it is solid core silver and sometimes a pain to work with (solid core silver breaks easily)

I have been always curious about that SMC mod.
AFAIK, RF connectors including SMCs have 50 to 75 ohms of impeadance.
Such amount of impeadance could be relatively huge for low impeadance headphones like grados.
And.. that kind of change can affect sound. Isn't it?
Is it safe to use SMC connectors for headphones?
Since I don't know electricity well, it might be silly question.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #4,557 of 4,994
I'd try to re-glue them but if they are worn then I'd replace with silk organza. I've used both super glue and carpenters glue (latex type so it wouldn't soften with moisture once dry) to attach the silk organza. Here's what I did for a really old SR60 that the old cloth just fell off:
I think I remember using clear nail polish once to adhere a screen that was coming off. It work rather well IIRC. He could always try a small area to see how it goes, since it's been such a long time since I did it I don't remember entirely how it looked but I think it wasn't too messy at all.

BTW, if you take out the screens off completely of the V7 you will probably find that they will sound more shouty (somewhat depending on your build).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #4,558 of 4,994
Such amount of impeadance could be relatively huge for low impeadance headphones like grados.

The 75 Ohms refers to the characteristic impedance of the connector which is different to what you are thinking of.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #4,559 of 4,994
I did a resistance check of a few of my cables with SMC jacks and only get 1.1-1.2 ohms so I'm not sure where you get the 50 to 75 ohms of impedance, unless I'm doing my measurements wrong.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #4,560 of 4,994
The 75 Ohms refers to the characteristic impedance of the connector which is different to what you are thinking of.
Wow characteristic impedance. That's what I wanted to know.
I searched a little and it seems to be something like impeadance between signal and return for a very short time like 3ns.
So It might not affect the sound.
Thanks for your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back