Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #4,516 of 4,994
I'm looking for a rod/block headband that is shorter than the Grado headband. I cannot get cups high enough on my ears with the Grado. Are those from Shipibo any shorter than stock Grado?

Thanks

If you get the thicker headband padding, then the cups will be higher up due to the extra padding.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #4,517 of 4,994
I'm looking for a rod/block headband that is shorter than the Grado headband. I cannot get cups high enough on my ears with the Grado. Are those from Shipibo any shorter than stock Grado?

Thanks
No, I’m afraid not, at least mine don’t look it. Next to my standard metal headband, they look to be the same size. The Sony headbands might be worth a look if you want to change the look (foldable dj style)?

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #4,518 of 4,994
Another option for headbands and gimbals is Roluphat. Decent quality in my experience. I did upgrade the rubber inserts to a heavier durometer to keep the cups in place firmly.

In any case, with those, you can cut the head band shorter and re-punch or drill new holes to fit over the "posts". The rod blocks unscrew to come apart, so it is really pretty easy. I did that to mine, and it worked out well.

Also, if you're afraid of screwing up, you can buy 1/4" or 7mm plain metal headbands from several sources for something like $2 each and work with those. You may need to file the edges at the ends slightly to fit them to the rod block slots.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #4,519 of 4,994
Also, if you're afraid of screwing up, you can buy 1/4" or 7mm plain metal headbands from several sources for something like $2 each and work with those. You may need to file the edges at the ends slightly to fit them to the rod block slots.

I had a bugger of a tube finding a suitable replacement inner spring steel band. Can you share who has got bands to fit?

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #4,520 of 4,994
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #4,521 of 4,994
I bought 12 some time ago and can't remember the exact place I bought them, but if you google 1/4 metal headbands, you'll find a bunch of hits from hair supply places - those are exactly what is used on the Grados and etc - just cut them to the right length. Here's one example - 99 cents each: https://www.hair-hardware.com/14-Silver-Metal-Headband--Bent-Ends_p_10228.html

Oh! Clever! I was looking for headphone specific parts. Thanks! Didn’t think of hair bands.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #4,523 of 4,994
....yeah, it took me awhile to find them too, and I was leery, but the ones I got were perfectly the same as anything that came on a Grado (or etc). Rholupat sells them too, but he wants $11 each for the same thing, and he's half way around the world from me.

I had spoken quite extensively with Adhi at Rholupat before Christmas, but as of late he isn't returning my messages. I had a question regarding the fit, as it mentions they aren't quite the same as stock. Anyone heard from him lately or purchased anything?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #4,524 of 4,994
This is my first build.

For some background, I began exploring headphones again around 3 years ago. For most of that time I only had two criteria, they had to have forward vocals, and high quantities of bass. Then last September I bought a pair of modded 225i from DavidA, and fell in love with them.

After much help, patience, guidance, pictures, along with some great conversation and fantastic music recommendations from DavidA, I was ready to try my first build.

After hearing fleasbaby’s V7, I decided to use the Magnum V8 for the driver.

My brother chose this block of rosewood:

Then made these gorgeous cups:

And this is the completed build:

I wanted to build my own cable, but won’t add up all the costs involved in the experimentation and trial and error. This was an expensive cable. If I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing, I had fun learning how to solder, and there was satisfaction in proving to myself I could do it.

I had to go with the Sony headband, because the Grado headband I have is too big, it will not hold the cups high enough on my ears. I went with Grado L-cush, as I had read they were more dense, and the Sony band is tighter.

The L-cush is not very comfortable with the Sony band. I'm going to try gradually stretching the headband out to see if I can improve comfort.

Nice job on those cups!!!

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,525 of 4,994
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #4,526 of 4,994
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!
Easiest to start with are different ear pads: try some generic G-pads or L-pads from ebay, $4-6
Next would be to open up the cups and do the venting mod: I'd start with opening 2-3 vent holes with 4 as a max.
Add dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver but don't cover up the vent holes on the magnet housing
Last would be to remove the drivers and place them in wood cups (RS series) or wood/metal cups (PS series)
Here are a few pictures of my modded SR60:
SR60-vent and  SMC.jpg
You can see the 4 open vent holes above

SR60-dynamat-smc-2.jpg
Dynamat in the cups, on back of the magent housing and on either side of the vent holes

SR60-leather headband.jpg
Finished with leather headband and new cable, SMC jacks for removable cables

You might want to go to the Post your Grado mods thread (found your post there also)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #4,529 of 4,994
Thanks, that's great information. What are the best drivers In your opinion?

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #4,530 of 4,994
Thanks, that's great information. What are the best drivers In your opinion?
Of the drivers that I've heard:
Ypsilon R1 >/= Ypsilon G1 > Ypsilon S2 >/= Nhoord Red V2 > Magnum V7 > Original Ypsilon > Original Nhoord > Magnum V6
Between the R1 and G1 its more of a preference, same as between the S2 and Red V2
I haven't had a chance to hear the Magnum V8 or Turbulent X yet so I don't know where they would fall on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back