Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #4,487 of 4,994
@Oscar-HiFi , I think the Van Damme cables are very similar to the Canare cables but I think that Van Damme makes then in different colors while the Canare is only in black (haven't found any in color yet)
Lately I've been using Mogami cables since there are 4 different color wires so it harder to get them mixed up.

I think there is a difference, as the Van Damme cables uses a mix of OFC and SPC conductors compared to pure OFC in Canare :)

There is only a small amount of SPC conductors in the Van Damme cable, but it could make a small difference, and I don't think they would put them there for no reason.

Material:

Bare silver plated ultra pure oxygen free copper wire
Stranding
7 x 0.08mm

Bare ultra pure oxygen free copper wire
Stranding
32 x 0.08mm

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4,489 of 4,994
Nice, smooth and detailed sounding cable Van Damme mini quad core. But it does have 2 blue and 2 white cores, just to keep you on your toes! I find my test meter useful, just to be certain when building a cable :wink:

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,490 of 4,994
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #4,491 of 4,994
has anyone sent a V8 to the centrral scrutinizer (tyll) or knows if it is the same post v4 sound signtature ? big bass hump etc?

Nice user name.... :)

No, I don't believe Tyll has heard the V8 yet. From personal impressions (your mileage may vary), yes, it still has the "big 'n bouncy" thing going. The V8 isn't as bad as the V7 though. If your ears are similar to the inspiration for your namesake's, I would advise having a listen to the Elleven Acoustica R1. Its pricey, but its typical of Elleven's work: aimed squarely at neutral, and therefore like the V4, but with better extension above and below. I personally listen to a pair of V8. Everyone has their tastes.

As an MoT I fear I have said too much, but those are honest impressions, unbiased.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #4,492 of 4,994
@spiritofMIDrange I have to agree with @fleasbaby about the Ypsilon R1 as being one of the more "neutral" sounding alternative drivers and its why I kept mine over the Ypsilon G1 and S2 and haven't built a Magnum V8 yet. One thing you should consider is the ear pads that are used since some drivers do better with certain ear pads and the V7 that I tried was best with Grado L-pads but since I find the Grado L-pads fairly uncomfortable I haven't tried a V8 since I'm thinking that it will perform better with L-pads also.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #4,493 of 4,994
My understanding is that the V8 is similar to the V7, and having only used the V7 in a few builds so far and not yet the V8s, I should limit my comments to the V7 only, but, for what it's worth, I have had very good results taming the somewhat loose bottom end of the V7s by employing a bit of acoustic suspension rather than running them in completely open cups. I turn the cups close to Grado dimensions, but I use a thin baffle tucked behind the mesh with a 7/16" port through the baffle. The result is a solid, tight, and full bottom end down to ~30Hz without the looseness the V7s have without this ported configuration. It really tightens up the bottom octave without diminishing the SPL. Of all the commercial brands I've tried, I like Grado 325 best for overall presentation, but I've always found Grados lacking in the lower register. The V7s so configured will get you there. Yes, the highs are slightly rolled off compared to the 325 (or other Grado really), but that's not a bad thing.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #4,494 of 4,994
@Brian E, tried this "baffle" with sorbothane on a Nhoord Red V2 since I don't have a V7 or V8 and its does make the bass a bit tighter but it doesn't seem to go lower which is expected but it also seems to have made the mids and highs a bit more forward also. I'm going to leave it for now and see how my impression of this goes after a few days and compare it to my R1, and original Ypsilon.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #4,496 of 4,994
My understanding is that the V8 is similar to the V7, and having only used the V7 in a few builds so far and not yet the V8s, I should limit my comments to the V7 only, but, for what it's worth, I have had very good results taming the somewhat loose bottom end of the V7s by employing a bit of acoustic suspension rather than running them in completely open cups. I turn the cups close to Grado dimensions, but I use a thin baffle tucked behind the mesh with a 7/16" port through the baffle. The result is a solid, tight, and full bottom end down to ~30Hz without the looseness the V7s have without this ported configuration. It really tightens up the bottom octave without diminishing the SPL. Of all the commercial brands I've tried, I like Grado 325 best for overall presentation, but I've always found Grados lacking in the lower register. The V7s so configured will get you there. Yes, the highs are slightly rolled off compared to the 325 (or other Grado really), but that's not a bad thing.

What material are you using for the baffle, and is the port centered in the baffle? I have the V7 and find them to be loose in the lower frequency.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4,497 of 4,994
What material are you using for the baffle, and is the port centered in the baffle? I have the V7 and find them to be loose in the lower frequency.
I'm currently trying this and found that while it doesn't make the bass go lower it enhances what is there but I'm trying this on a Nhoord Red V2 and not a V7 or V8 so YMMV with my impression since we are taking two different drivers. I'd try dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver since to me it seems to clean up the entire sound and not just the bass.
Forgot to mention that I'm using sorbothane for the baffle and they look like this:
Grado-attenuation ring-1.jpg
Nhoord Red V2 driver but I've added dynamat next to the vent holes

Grado-attenuation ring-3.jpg
Baffle installed against the grill

Grado-attenuation ring-4.jpg
front view, hard to see the disk

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #4,498 of 4,994
I punched a rubber disc to fit the cup diameter, ~1/8" thick, and punched out the ports in the center of the disc. I tried several combinations and found a 7/16" to 1/2" port to yield the best results: it tightened up the bottom end without losing any SPL in the bottom octave. For example, a kick drum is now distinct and sits in the soundscape with some authority. Prior, the bottom end was fairly muddled.

In my experience, the V7s have a full bottom octave reaching down into the 30 Hz range. Compared to the Grado signature, the V7s, so configured, have a balanced signature but with an almost visceral bottom end, and have become my go-to choice for headphones as of late for that reason.....

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,499 of 4,994
Here's a review I just posted to Powerchord Reviews after spending some quality time with the V8 drivers and comparing them to the V7.

Update: Rhydon of Symphones has asked permission to use my review for the relaunch of the new drivers. Cool!

Symphones V8 Drivers

IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0355.jpg

I’ll let Rhydon Rayment introduce his company and philosophy: “Since 2010 Symphones has done more than refine an old tradition: we've started a new one. By fusing dynamic design with the vivid DIY culture we work to enable a new movement of designer artisans. Symphones empowers DIY builders through our dedication to making the highest quality headphone drivers. To achieve optimal results, our products undergo years of design, testing and verification, making each driver worth your patience and skill.”

“At Symphones we make headphone drivers by hand using carefully selected materials from local suppliers in Ontario, Canada. Detail is our passion and its no secret that even the adhesives used in our drivers are formulated in-house to our exact specification. We want to give our builders the smoothest, most dynamic and pure sound to showcase their designs. Most of all, we want to expand people’s musical tastes and prove that the best headphones don’t always come mass produced.”

The V8 is (unsurprisingly) the 8th revision of the popular “Magnum” driver series. Gone is the Grado house sound of the Prestige series, and a more refined, natural and smooth sound signature rivalling far more expensive headphones is achieved.

Throughout the revisions, the Symphones’ line-up retained the easy to drive, low (32 Ohm) impedance of Grados, which makes them very portable device friendly and do not require a dedicated amplifier. Symphones’ drivers are known for improved soundstage, clarity, and detail compared to stock drivers. They have better extension on both the high and low frequencies, with the bass hump a little lower in the range. In a (very brief) summary, the V1 driver was similar to the 325is, with some peaks in the midrange and treble with tight bass but rolled off sub bass. The V2-V3 drivers were less bright and peaky, with forward midrange and strong mid-bass with rolled off deep bass making them excel with acoustic music. The V4 was very well liked and often described as more neutral. V5-V6 drivers also featured aluminum sleeves and a livelier treble, flatter impedance curve and greater, resolving bass. The V6 extended a bit further in highs and lows and had a bit of a mid bass hump (more v-shaped frequency curve) resulting in a fun sound signature, if not especially neutral. The V7 drivers sounded very different than stock Grados with deeper bass and a forward midrange, balanced with an extended high end.

In Rhydon’s words the “V8 encompasses improvements related to the diaphragm and its motion, damping of resonances, and bass refinements. Sound lovers will note improvements to the upper, mid, and lower registers, both in resolution and control. Drivers are matched to the tightest tolerance of +/- 0.1db.”

In back to back, A-B testing, the V8 is a noticeable improvement over the V7. It is smoother, more balanced and exhibits greater control. The V7 driver could get a bit loose with deep bass tracks and this is essentially resolved with the V8. The midrange steps back a little (compared to the V7’s forwardness) and the overall sound presentation is more balanced and refined. These can be described as having the smoothness of the Sennheiser HD650’s paired with the clarity of a Beyerdynamic DT880. Note: my favorite headphone pairing is a modified Bottlehead Crack and HD650 – so this is high praise indeed. Prior to this proper amplification combination, I found the HD650’s a bit lifeless or (forgive me) “veiled” for my tastes. The V8 sounds more like this perfect combo, without lugging around the tube amp.

The Symphones V8 sound quality is extraordinarily sweet, clear and neutral. Music comes across in a very transparent manner, with oh-so-smooth midrange and controlled, accurate and deep bass. Vocals are natural in presentation, with no noticeable frequency peaks or rough edges. Texture of complex passages remains clear, separated and detailed with superb imaging. Soundstage is very good for an on-ear headphone, if not quite as wide as the best (albeit much more expensive) headphones – although this may simply be a limiting factor of the supra-aural nature of the Grado design.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #4,500 of 4,994
This is my first build.

For some background, I began exploring headphones again around 3 years ago. For most of that time I only had two criteria, they had to have forward vocals, and high quantities of bass. Then last September I bought a pair of modded 225i from DavidA, and fell in love with them.

After much help, patience, guidance, pictures, along with some great conversation and fantastic music recommendations from DavidA, I was ready to try my first build.

After hearing fleasbaby’s V7, I decided to use the Magnum V8 for the driver.

My brother chose this block of rosewood:
the block.jpg
Then made these gorgeous cups:
cups.2.jpg cups.1.jpg
And this is the completed build:
HPCompleted.1.jpg HPCompleted.3.jpg

I wanted to build my own cable, but won’t add up all the costs involved in the experimentation and trial and error. This was an expensive cable. If I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing, I had fun learning how to solder, and there was satisfaction in proving to myself I could do it.

I had to go with the Sony headband, because the Grado headband I have is too big, it will not hold the cups high enough on my ears. I went with Grado L-cush, as I had read they were more dense, and the Sony band is tighter.

The L-cush is not very comfortable with the Sony band. I'm going to try gradually stretching the headband out to see if I can improve comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back