Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #3,931 of 4,994

i really didn't like the cable i had too much, it was spc, so it was a little "shouty" bright, it was stiff and heavy too.
the impact cable is just what the doctor ordered, super light and flexible, and the highs are smoother, and still plenty of detail. copper is the way to go
i couldn't recommend recommend lindsay at impact cables any higher

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,932 of 4,994

i really didn't like the cable i had too much, it was spc, so it was a little "shouty" bright, it was stiff and heavy too.
the impact cable is just what the doctor ordered, super light and flexible, and the highs are smoother, and still plenty of detail. copper is the way to go
i couldn't recommend recommend lindsay at impact cables any higher

exactly. the stiffness of the silver cable is troubling to me as well, I find I'm much more comfortable with the ImpactAudio cable with no discernible (to my ears anyway) loss of fidelity. And Lindsay is great to work with. Oh, and the cable looks great too!

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #3,933 of 4,994
  exactly. the stiffness of the silver cable is troubling to me as well, I find I'm much more comfortable with the ImpactAudio cable with no discernible (to my ears anyway) loss of fidelity. And Lindsay is great to work with. Oh, and the cable looks great too!

i actually hear a little improvement , as i said, i think the treble is a little nicer, smoother, the silver was a tad bright at times

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #3,934 of 4,994
  listening to them right now, and loving every note , thanks !

if i was going to improve on something, it might be in mounting the drivers, i just have them pressed in using the tape, i might like something a little more secure
would i need different cups, cut to size, or would sleeves do , if i could find some ?

...you'll need new cups cut to size. Making a thin enough wooden sleeve to replace the foam would be a madman's obsession :)...

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,935 of 4,994

...you'll need new cups cut to size. Making a thin enough wooden sleeve to replace the foam would be a madman's obsession :)...

maybe not. what about a piece (or two) of veneer? not sure how big the gap is you're needing to fill. the sleeve that Vibro Labs made to size the Sennheiser PX100ii's was fairly substantial so veneer wouldn't work because you'd never be able to get a piece that large to bend but the gap in some of the other cups I've used really wasn't all that much. just a thought.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #3,936 of 4,994
  maybe not. what about a piece (or two) of veneer? not sure how big the gap is you're needing to fill. the sleeve that Vibro Labs made to size the Sennheiser PX100ii's was fairly substantial so veneer wouldn't work because you'd never be able to get a piece that large to bend but the gap in some of the other cups I've used really wasn't all that much. just a thought.

Veneer...hmmmm...never thought of that. Nice...good idea!

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #3,937 of 4,994

Veneer...hmmmm...never thought of that. Nice...good idea!

yeah, its a thought
now, to research which veneer has the best "tone" 

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #3,938 of 4,994
I currently have a magnum V3 pair of Grado's can anyone tell me what kind of sound difference I would get with a pair of the Turbulent Labs v5 with wood cups. I assume they would be warmer, but I do like the clairity and details in my v3 magnums. Thanks so much for your opinions,

James

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,940 of 4,994
  Can someone please measure the V6 driver without pad for me? (I'm trying to find replacing drivers for my MDR-F1)

website says 45.6mm

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,943 of 4,994
There is one thing I would definitely change about the V6 drivers and that is the lack of a protective mesh over the front of the driver. Even if you are careful, dust eventually settles inside the driver and in combination with the stuff Rhydon uses to "coat" the diaphragm with, these particles stick to the diaphragm and are impossible to remove without damaging the diaphragm.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #3,944 of 4,994
  There is one thing I would definitely change about the V6 drivers and that is the lack of a protective mesh over the front of the driver. Even if you are careful, dust eventually settles inside the driver and in combination with the stuff Rhydon uses to "coat" the diaphragm with, these particles stick to the diaphragm and are impossible to remove without damaging the diaphragm.

I agree....its happened to two pairs already for me. I thought I could avoid it by leaving them to air on my bookshelf a week (nice, quiet, dust free environment) in the hopes that this would dry the diaphragm coating, but I still had the same thing happen.

Other thoughts, I have the C6 cups, and have found them to be way too fragile around the grill and the eyelet for the cable. I have had to glue mine twice now. There is no going back for them. I plan to replace them with wood again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back