Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 24, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,738 of 4,994
Nov 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,740 of 4,994
Hi Guys.
SO.
I have a pair of Alessandro MS1is which I've loved for the last year or so. I usually listen to them with a slight V shaped EQ using EqualizerAPO+PeaceGUI. 

Over the last few months, they've developed some grattle issues that have only gotten worse. So I thought, what the hell, I'm going magnum. I'm planning to place an order on the V6's sometime this week.

Thing is, I have no experience with a soldering iron (nor do I own one). Are there any tutorials you guys can link me to?

I can't afford wooden cups at the moment. I'm guessing v6 drivers don't won't sound bad with the prestige series plastic cups, right?

Also, can an iphone/ipad drive the magnum drivers loud enough? Or will I need an amp?

Finally, are Magnum drivers less prone to grattle than grado drivers? What has your experience been?

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,742 of 4,994
  Hi Guys.
SO.
I have a pair of Alessandro MS1is which I've loved for the last year or so. I usually listen to them with a slight V shaped EQ using EqualizerAPO+PeaceGUI. 

Over the last few months, they've developed some grattle issues that have only gotten worse. So I thought, what the hell, I'm going magnum. I'm planning to place an order on the V6's sometime this week.

Thing is, I have no experience with a soldering iron (nor do I own one). Are there any tutorials you guys can link me to?

I can't afford wooden cups at the moment. I'm guessing v6 drivers don't won't sound bad with the prestige series plastic cups, right?

Also, can an iphone/ipad drive the magnum drivers loud enough? Or will I need an amp?

Finally, are Magnum drivers less prone to grattle than grado drivers? What has your experience been?

damn. wish i was an adventurous soul like yourself.
i know next to f-all about soldering, and it's definitely put me off. thus, i'm sending it out for a third party for labor and cable setup as well. it would make things so much easier if i could pick up on this stuff.

good luck to you! should be some awesome people around here to ask about such a thing.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,743 of 4,994
  Hi Guys.
SO.

below are instructions for getting rid of 'grattle',

personally i've never needed to do anything beyond the last step and it has worked like a charm each time (grattle has occurred on every Grado i own at least once and always inevitably the result of me cranking my amp too loud especially with sub bass genres like minimal techno and/or hip hop)

1. Remove the foam pad around the earpiece, and use tweezers or your fingers to remove any hair or debris from the headphone speaker.
  2. Gently blow into the grille side of the earpiece in an attempt to clear any remaining hair or debris.
  3. Play bass-heavy music loudly for half an hour or so to fix a creased diaphragm or displace internal debris. Don't set the volume so loud that the sound distorts; this could damage your headphones. (i've never found this necessary but you can try it if you want)
  4. To pull out the crease in the headphone's diaphragm, remove the foam pad from the earpiece, and very gently suck the speaker mesh with your mouth. You might hear a popping sound as the diaphragm returns to normal. Use a hair dryer about 2 inches away from the earpiece for 15 to 20 seconds to set the repaired diaphragm in position, so the crease does not recur

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,744 of 4,994
  damn, my stainless steel cans are still in production.
ya'll are racing through the process sharpish.
if those are the same as the tascam,
then the sizing wouldn't fit the c6 cups, yeah?

look at the photo
looks like a 7506 headband but the pins are extended
using shrink tubing
if i can do the same with the tascam style
with some adhesive shrink and maybe a small screw
i might come up with something that works

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #3,745 of 4,994
  Hi Guys.
SO.

xylin6 provided this link to helpful video on how to solder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BMEDrqLDE

The V6 will fit in the Grado cups as a direct swap.  (edit -video referenced here previously destroys driver housing and makes it unusable - thanks 7keys for catching this)

The iphone will power the V6 just fine, its very efficient.

Post 3452 includes summary of helpful information on the V6 from this thread.

Driver is too new to know how it would compare to Grado as far as grattle.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #3,746 of 4,994

The V6 will fit in the Grado cups as a direct swap.  Video on removing Grado driver, courtesy Vibro Labs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A6UwkQFTdg  

If you remove the driver like they do in that video you destroy the driver housing and make it unusable for the Magnum. There is another way to do it to save the driver housing but I can't find the thread.     Anyone remember what thread it is in?

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,747 of 4,994
  If you remove the driver like they do in that video you destroy the driver housing and make it unusable for the Magnum. There is another way to do it to save the driver housing but I can't find the thread.     Anyone remember what thread it is in?

Nice catch 7keys. Yikes! My bad.  Wasn't what I remembered.   I edited post 3745 accordingly.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,748 of 4,994

Nice catch 7keys. Yikes! My bad.  Wasn't what I remembered.  

Seems like I saw a post somewhere that used a spoon to separate the driver...

The way a couple of guys did it was.......you cut a piece of wood the same diameter of the hole in the driver housing... and push the driver out under pressure using a vise. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,749 of 4,994
  The way a couple of guys did it was.......you cut a piece of wood the same diameter of the hole in the driver housing... and push the driver out under pressure using a vise. 

was this the post you were thinking of earlier? -> post #1177 it describes the same process as you mentioned above and has some pictures for reference.
if i find anything else i'll add it along with a link to this post.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3,750 of 4,994

was this the post you were thinking of earlier? -> post #1177 it describes the same process as you mentioned above and has some pictures for reference.
if i find anything else i'll add it along with a link to this post.

That's it!  Thanks!

If we could put all this info in one thread it would be great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back