Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 27, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,422 of 4,994
I still had some wood lying around, so I decided to give my V5 drivers a final home and I guess this will be my last wood build: Karelian Birch with Rosewood inner sleeves and Ebony lids, hybrid pads (Grado l-cush plus Mi Headphones by Xiaomi pleather pads on top), Tascam headband. I am still working on the damping, measurements show current state. They have strong bass and lots of detail and good resolution. But as I said, I am still in the process of modding them.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,423 of 4,994
  I still had some wood lying around, so I decided to give my V5 drivers a final home and I guess this will be my last wood build: Karelian Birch with Rosewood inner sleeves and Ebony lids, hybrid pads (Grado l-cush plus Mi Headphones by Xiaomi pleather pads on top), Tascam headband. I am still working on the damping, measurements show current state. They have strong bass and lots of detail and good resolution. But as I said, I am still in the process of modding them.

Very nice!

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,425 of 4,994

REALLY interested to hear your thoughts. If you recall, my SennGrado review pitted my V5 Magnum in Korina sleeves and aluminium cups against the SennGrado. The SennGrado really shone and as a result threw me off my Magnum/Grado game literally for months. I went into Ortho land and have only recently re-emerged.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #3,426 of 4,994

REALLY interested to hear your thoughts. If you recall, my SennGrado review pitted my V5 Magnum in Korina sleeves and aluminium cups against the SennGrado. The SennGrado really shone and as a result threw me off my Magnum/Grado game literally for months. I went into Ortho land and have only recently re-emerged.

I just got it in the mail an hour ago so I'll need some time. 

A lot of people never make it out of Ortho-Land.......how did you do it..........support-group? 

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,427 of 4,994
  I just got it in the mail an hour ago so I'll need some time. 

A lot of people never make it out of Ortho-Land.......how did you do it..........support-group? 

It was tough...and I still keep a pair of TDS-16 on my desk with the intent to woody them at some point...but it was the siren song of a pair of Grado pinks that lured me back among the living. That, and holy $h1t its tiresome turning those massive 4 to 5 inch pieces of wood into cups, and then wearing them...nothing beats a nice, light pair of easy-to-drive Grado woodies...

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #3,429 of 4,994

Great,

What pieces of equipment are required to get this type of analysis?

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #3,431 of 4,994

will you be posting some impressions of this EPIC battle? 
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,432 of 4,994

popcorn.gif

I got four or five hours on the Aluminum Magnums V4 and find they live a lot more in the higher frequencies than the V4’s I owned in Black Limba cups. For some songs this can sound great but others I find it can be a little too much and a little irritating.

There is more detail than my V4's in Limba and Senngrado that’s for sure but I miss the mid bass presence the SennGrado has. Soundstage is smaller than the SennGrado and I didn’t get the impression of three dimensionality I sometimes get with the SennGrado.

When listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station though I loved the way it sounded with the aluminum Magnum, acoustic instruments sounded so detailed and wonderful.
I think I like the Magnums better in wood, a little too much treble for me with the Aluminum on some tracks.

I can’t say there is a winner, it’s a matter of preference. If you're a treble freak you'll love the aluminium magnums. 

After listening to the Magnums again it made me want to pick up a set of drivers if I can find some.

I had a pair in Limba but I'd like to try a softer wood like Red Cedar.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #3,433 of 4,994

popcorn.gif

I got four or five hours on the Aluminum Magnums V4 and find they live a lot more in the higher frequencies than the V4’s I owned in Black Limba cups. For some songs this can sound great but others I find it can be a little too much and a little irritating.

There is more detail than my V4's in Limba and Senngrado that’s for sure but I miss the mid bass presence the SennGrado has. Soundstage is smaller than the SennGrado and I didn’t get the impression of three dimensionality I sometimes get with the SennGrado.

When listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station though I loved the way it sounded with the aluminum Magnum, acoustic instruments sounded so detailed and wonderful.
I think I like the Magnums better in wood, a little too much treble for me with the Aluminum on some tracks.

I can’t say there is a winner, it’s a matter of preference. If you're a treble freak you'll love the aluminium magnums. 

After listening to the Magnums again it made me want to pick up a set of drivers if I can find some.

I had a pair in Limba but I'd like to try a softer wood like Red Cedar.

thanks @7keys

I bought a pair of Magnum V4 drivers from @Currawong, but I haven't heard them yet, so didn't know exactly what to expect.

I have a pair of heavy aluminum cups and sleeves, but would rather get my hands on a pair of wooden sleeves specifically made for these drivers. I figure Grado moved away from all metal housing for a reason and use wooden sleeves instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back