Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,391 of 4,994
  I'm not entirely buying this.  

Me neither (if that isn't too confusing a statement to make...).

I know the frequency responses published on Grado's site vary between every model. I am not sure when and how those are measured though, so I am not sure they are caused by driver variations, or materials....can't all be materials, because the bottom 4 models in the SR series are all plastic...the only difference between the SR125 and SR225 aside from possibly the drivers is the metal grill on the SR225. Could the difference in airflow between between metal mesh and perforated plastic really be that much of a game-changer? The differences between the SR80 and SR60 are nothing visible at all! So that could be an argument for different drivers...

Bottom line: the cynic in me smells a rat, the optimist tells me to stop being so suspicious and just enjoy the damn music...:)

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,392 of 4,994

I'm not entirely buying this.  

Me neither (if that isn't too confusing a statement to make...).

I know the frequency responses published on Grado's site vary between every model. I am not sure when and how those are measured though, so I am not sure they are caused by driver variations, or materials....can't all be materials, because the bottom 4 models in the SR series are all plastic...the only difference between the SR125 and SR225 aside from possibly the drivers is the metal grill on the SR225. Could the difference in airflow between between metal mesh and perforated plastic really be that much of a game-changer? The differences between the SR80 and SR60 are nothing visible at all! So that could be an argument for different drivers...

Bottom line: the cynic in me smells a rat, the optimist tells me to stop being so suspicious and just enjoy the damn music...:)

Aren't the pads different on the SR60 and SR80. These two could share the same driver......possibly...
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #3,393 of 4,994
Nah, each one is tuned a bit different. How and what exactly is Grado doing to these drivers? I don't know, but no way I can liberate both my PS1000 and Gs1000i or PS1Ke and Gs1ke, for example, switch each other's housing and voila, they sound exactly like the other one did before...

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,394 of 4,994
  Aren't the pads different on the SR60 and SR80. These two could share the same driver......possibly...
confused.gif

No, they both come with the S-Cush if I recall correctly...

Nah, each one is tuned a bit different. How and what exactly is Grado doing to these drivers? I don't know, but no way I can liberate both my PS1000 and Gs1000i or PS1Ke and Gs1ke, for example, switch each other's housing and voila, they sound exactly like the other one did before...

...how do you know until you've tried? Hehehehehehehe...
evil_smiley.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways...its all speculation.

For all I know, John and Jon dance around a fire on the roof of the brownstone in Brooklyn, slaughter a chicken in an arcane voodoo ritual for each batch of drivers and throw the bones to determine the model they will be used in, invoking old Joseph's ghost to guide them.

They could also just be ordering different types of driver for each model.

Either way, who am I to judge. I love what they make, and spend most of my time pulling it apart, tweaking it, listening to it and generally obsessing over it. I owe them big for a large part of my non-work-related entertainment.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,395 of 4,994
  Yes...the moneygram guy.

Did you get the PS1000 drivers? I sent the guy a couple of PM's last week buy he never got back to me. I wanted those drivers.

that dude is selling a single magnum driver for that price (plus another 10 bucks for moneygram)
i'm not gonna badmouth the guy he has some feedback but i don't think i'm gonna send anyone a moneygram

i was also late to the ps1000 drivers

picked up a set of pink sr80's off the ebay for $42.00 total
still remains the best bargain in headphones

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,396 of 4,994

For all I know, John and Jon dance around a fire on the roof of the brownstone in Brooklyn, slaughter a chicken in an arcane voodoo ritual for each batch of drivers and throw the bones to determine the model they will be used in, invoking old Joseph's ghost to guide them.

I tried this on my SennGrado but forgot to invoke Joseph's ghost. I'm sure that's the secret.

Yes...the moneygram guy.

Did you get the PS1000 drivers? I sent the guy a couple of PM's last week buy he never got back to me. I wanted those drivers.

that dude is selling a single magnum driver for that price (plus another 10 bucks for moneygram)
i'm not gonna badmouth the guy he has some feedback but i don't think i'm gonna send anyone a moneygram

How do you find deals like that?

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,397 of 4,994

Nice...the pinks are elusive. You have to kind of watch for them, and often you need to message the seller to ask because they cover the mesh up with pads, thinking the pink will turn buyers off...

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,398 of 4,994

Nice...the pinks are elusive. You have to kind of watch for them, and often you need to message the seller to ask because they cover the mesh up with pads, thinking the pink will turn buyers off...

damn' 
he knows my tricks

yeah they come up every few months
sometimes they want too much, its a waiting game
the trick is to message the seller and... oh yeah...
search constantly to like every 5 minutes...i have no life

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,399 of 4,994

damn' 
he knows my tricks

yeah they come up every few months
sometimes they want too much, its a waiting game
the trick is to message the seller and... oh yeah...
search constantly to like every 5 minutes...i have no life

You guys shouldn't put these tricks out here for everyone............you should privately PM me the info.  

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,400 of 4,994
You guys shouldn't put these tricks out here for everyone............you should privately PM me the info.  

LOL...we're starting to sound almost as paranoid as the vintage headphones guys...wait...technically I guess we are vintage headphone guys if we're chasing pinks...*sigh*

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,401 of 4,994

LOL...we're starting to sound almost as paranoid as the vintage headphones guys...wait...technically I guess we are vintage headphone guys if we're chasing pinks...*sigh*

I've been chasing pinks my hole life.....
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,405 of 4,994
  Ambchang is going to be sending me his all aluminium Magnum V4 to test. I'll be sending him my Maple/Mahogany SennGrado's.

I've always wanted to try an all aluminium Magnum..........can't wait.

That's going to be fantastic...I saw Currawong selling his original, made by Symphones, all-aluminium V5, but I am just short of the funds necessary to buy 'em sadly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back