Grado modders go Magnum
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,331 of 4,994
So how do the Magnum X compare to the SennGrado? Anyone compared in the same cups?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,332 of 4,994
  So how do the Magnum X compare to the SennGrado? Anyone compared in the same cups?

The Magnums lack bass and soundstage but are way more detailed and precise, with a light emphasis on the high end. The bass on the Senngrados gets muddy at very high levels and I think it's because of resonance. The Magnum X's don't seem to have this issue and have tight bass. Both headphones had the Beyer pads on but I suspect the Magnums prefer the closer to ear distance of Grado G cush pads. I ordered some knockoff Grado pads from China and they are still in transit. Impossible to get the legit ones in Canada, for whatever stupid reason. I will see if I'm right when I get them.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #3,333 of 4,994

The Magnums lack bass and soundstage but are way more detailed and precise, with a light emphasis on the high end. The bass on the Senngrados gets muddy at very high levels and I think it's because of resonance. The Magnum X's don't seem to have this issue and have tight bass. Both headphones had the Beyer pads on but I suspect the Magnums prefer the closer to ear distance of Grado G cush pads. I ordered some knockoff Grado pads from China and they are still in transit. Impossible to get the legit ones in Canada, for whatever stupid reason. I will see if I'm right when I get them.

Thanks I was mainly wondering about the detail so looks like SennGrado probably isn't worth my time. I use taped L-cush with my Magnums so they've always had plenty of bass.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,334 of 4,994
I find the Senngrado's have as much detail as the Magnum V4 which is why I sold them when I put together my Senngrados. I haven't tried the V5's though.

You can read many reviews of the Senngrado's in this thread, fleasbaby compares them to his Magnum V5's

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728069/woodied-sennheiser-aka-senngrado-tour-thread

Here's what he said.
"The SennGrado showed a more natural presentation, and performed better with bass. It wasn’t shy, didn’t repress it and try to compensate with mids and treble as the Magnum X did. The Magnum tends to have a slightly one-dimensional bass presentation. Think doof-doof as opposed to boom-booooom. In addition, the SennGrado actually sounded a little more open sometimes, but at the same time a touch less controlled as a result. Both headphones showed similar levels of detail retrieval".

May 11, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,337 of 4,994
Hi there!
I own the GS1000 and was wondering if i will "upgrade" my phones by intalling the "Turbulent X" drivers...
Does anyone knows the differences?

From what I understand, this would be a downgrade. I own a set of Turbulent X drivers, which I installed into a Grado SR225i. I haven't heard a Grado higher than the 225. Before getting the Turbulent X drivers, I read upon it and the impression I formed was that the Turbulent X drivers are roughly equivalent to a Grado RS1. It's basically a cheap way to convert a cheap Grado,like the SR60 or SR80, into something roughly the quality of the RS1. If you have the GS1000, it would most likely be a downgrade, but I'm not 100% sure. I have serious doubts that they would be at the level of the GS1000.

There are some people making comparisons to other headphones here.

If you own the GS1000, you are better off keeping those. If you are curious about how these sound, it's probably better for someone in your situation to check ebay for a used or broken pair of low-end Grados like the SR80s, which you can ruin. If you don't like them, you can probably sell them for 300-400

May 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,338 of 4,994
actually i was not expecting to read bad reviews for their site !
since they are so good (as they say) why do they not have any frequency graph (with X driver installed on rs-1 & gs1000 style cups&pads) so we can compare with the Grado ones?... even no specs of the driver...

May 12, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,340 of 4,994
  guys i've been wanting to ask this question.. i have a problem in my magnum having it "rattles" when it hits 60hz below.. is it normal? if its not, any suggestion in fixing this problem?

here's an old quote from Billavideo: 
Quote: Bilavideo
Suck it.  
Remove the cushion and approach the cup as if it were the mouth of a very pretty woman you would like to resuscitate.  But instead of blowing into her, you're going to gently inhale, sucking with enough pressure to pull the diaphragm up until you hear a light "click."  The click will be your diaphragm popping into shape.

Give it a try, this might do the trick for you, it's worked for me in the past.

May 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #3,342 of 4,994
did that.. works for awhile then the rattling sound came back...

same here. did it again, it worked again for awhile, rattling came back, so repeated steps again
biggrin.gif

mine sounded like some debris inside the driver but can't see anything
frown.gif

May 28, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,343 of 4,994
finished my build today:

Turbulent labs driver+ Mahogany wood cup made by Elleven Acoustica.

dual 3pin XLR

I really like the vocal in this pair, close and passionate.

Did you put dynamat damper on the magnet as grado apply on hi end models?
Whats the difference with the sr80 driver? Is it worth trying the magnum driver?

May 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,344 of 4,994

finished my build today:
  Turbulent labs driver+ Mahogany wood cup made by Elleven Acoustica.
  dual 3pin XLR

I really like the vocal in this pair, close and passionate.

Did you put dynamat damper on the magnet as grado apply on hi end models?
Whats the difference with the sr80 driver? Is it worth trying the magnum driver?

Turbulent drivers come with those dampers.
It's a big step up from SR80, more details to the music, solid image and refined bass. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3,345 of 4,994
Guys,
Do any of you guys know a where to get a 325is fully upgraded into a Magnum? I have a 325is lying around, but I don't know much about modding myself so I'm very afraid of wrecking my cans.

Thanks,
Le

Users who are viewing this thread

Back