Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 26, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #3,305 of 4,994
Has anybody had the chance to compare a a magnum V5 built with the new SR325e?

I am planing to get a new 325e or a nice, cheap, used RS1i, but the idea of building another set of magnums has caught my attention lately. 

Ahh. I listened to the 325 the other day but I don't remember if it was i or e. Sorry! I did listen to the RS1i, though. The main dif between the RS1i and the V5 is transparency. I guess you could say the RS1i is a bit smoother and the V5 is cleaner and punchier. The V4 by comparison is in between the RS1i and the V5 in transparency and cleanness and the V4 has more forward mids and vocals. With HD414 pads the V4 sounded somewhat similar to the 325 I heard when I put 414 pads on it but the frequency range balance like I said is more mid-centric on the V4 and the V4 is also more transparent. They were all nice sounding headphones.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #3,306 of 4,994
  Has anybody had the chance to compare a a magnum V5 built with the new SR325e?

I am planing to get a new 325e or a nice, cheap, used RS1i, but the idea of building another set of magnums has caught my attention lately. 

I like the Grado sound better, but I'm also wanting to revisit the Magnums, specially now that I have aluminum cups and sleeves! 

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,308 of 4,994

I really like the V5 in aluminum.

would love to get a pair of used drivers. Not sure if I wanna spend the asking price on a new pair since I have a pair of sr225i and also Px100 that are dangerously close to getting liberated fromtheir plastic prisons!! muhahaha (evil laugh). 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,309 of 4,994
It has been a long time since I started this thread. Coming from the Grado modding crowd I took interest in the Magnums, then V4s, since the drivers were freely available, came at an acceptable price, and could be used in all sorts of housings. I then proceeded into the planar world, among others, and sold my Magnums, since I ultimately found them too shouty and lacking comfort.

By accident I again took some interest in these types of drivers, doing work on some used SR125i and now Turbulent V5 drivers. I am also using a kind of DIY hybrid GradoBeyer pad, for which I am using some L-cushs (cut to shape)  and Beyerdynamic DT25 pads on top.

In addition I have been using my measurement rig (calibrated mic, flat coupler, no compensation) in order to "verify" my mods. Below I am sharing my V5 measurements and mods.

Stock Turbulent V5 drivers, in a Grado wood cup, open back:

Finished headphone, black ebony cups with black and white ebony nuance, closed:

Cup and driver

Driver in rosewood inner sleeve, GradoBeyer pad

Measurement of the finished headphone, closed cup, internal damping. Very neutral sounding.

Internal damping change, a little less distorion in the mids. Very nice sounding, clean and fast.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #3,314 of 4,994
Hi, what kind of Glue is used to fix the plastic driver into the wood cup?

Wood glue? Any recommendations ? I would like to use something that would be easy to remove if needed.

Thanks!

I use abit of blu tack around the driver, sits good and is easy to remove.
Otherwise I find hot glue from a gun to be the easiest to remove normally.. but I don't know how easy it would be to remove from a driver & cup

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #3,315 of 4,994
Hi, what kind of Glue is used to fix the plastic driver into the wood cup?

Wood glue? Any recommendations ? I would like to use something that would be easy to remove if needed.

Thanks!

Blu tack or electrical tape works well.

Jin
Turbulentlabs.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back