Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #3,346 of 4,994
  Guys,
Do any of you guys know a where to get a 325is fully upgraded into a Magnum? I have a 325is lying around, but I don't know much about modding myself so I'm very afraid of wrecking my cans.

Thanks,
Le

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR-325-Mod-using-the-Sennheiser-HD-570-headb/step3/null/

I think the best way to do it is:
    1 get the sr325 driver out along with its plastic housing
    2 get some kind of wood housing like the one used in PS500, install magnum driver in it
    3 put the magnum assembly in
That way you will have a pair of undamaged sr325 drivers.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,347 of 4,994

Guys,
Do any of you guys know a where to get a 325is fully upgraded into a Magnum? I have a 325is lying around, but I don't know much about modding myself so I'm very afraid of wrecking my cans.

Thanks,
Le

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR-325-Mod-using-the-Sennheiser-HD-570-headb/step3/null/

2 get some kind of wood housing like the one used in PS500, install magnum driver in it

You used to have to send your 325 to Rhydon in Niagara Falls and he'd upgrade your drivers to magnum drivers and put them in aluminium shells. These days you buy the drivers from Turbulant Labs and buy your own cups

The Turbulent Labs driver is the Magnum V5.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,348 of 4,994

Best way for sure! If you're then satisfied with the magnums you sell the grado drivers otherwise you go back again!

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #3,349 of 4,994
  Guys,

Thanks,
Le

There are a few options ...

If you want to created exactly what Rhydon used to provide, it took me a few years to:
- Hunt down my own Magnum v4 drivers
- Got some SR325is cups (you don't have to do that)
- Hunted down a headband assembly (you don't have to do this)
- Braided my own cables (you don't have to do this either)
- Looked for aluminum inner shells/sleeves that would fit the v4 drivers, eventually gave up, and asked a machining shop to do it for me (see my ad in the signature).

Now you have options, as the only things you need are the drivers and the cups.
For drivers, you can either hunt down the v4s, which were intended for aluminum cups (or so I've read), or you can stick with the v5s and have them sent directly to you from Turbulent
For cups, you can
a) Get wooden cups, which are relatively easy to find, or if you have the skills (which I don't), make. 
b) You can keep the SR325is cups and try to keep the plastic sleeves when removing the 325 drivers (extremely hard to do without damaging the drivers).
c) You can keep the SR325is cups and make your own sleeves in plastic, wood or aluminum (or buy a set from me :))

The process took me a little over two years, but I wasn't hunting for these things around the clock, so if you are more dedicated, you can get it done much quicker.  But why rush it?  The hunting part was the fun part for me.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,350 of 4,994

Best way for sure! If you're then satisfied with the magnums you sell the grado drivers otherwise you go back again!

I never heard of anyone going back ............but I guess it is possible. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #3,351 of 4,994
  Hello, nobody have convert the magnum driver in a Gs1000 clone?...

The bass are deeper, more defined treble and sound, have one of the greatest scenes I've ever enjoy.
You only need a heavy wood cup and jumbo pads, you can get this from China, then costs around 20€.
Them need open four holes in the drivers like in the original Gs1000, order to obtain the sound.

Greetings from Chiclana´s summer.
Francisco Cabillas.

except the 4 holes did you also apply dynamat damper on the magnet?  i was just wondering if you already compared with the original GS1000? Whats the difference in sound?

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,352 of 4,994
except the 4 holes did you also apply dynamat damper on the magnet?  i was just wondering if you already compared with the original GS1000? Whats the difference in sound?

A couple of years ago I used a pair of Cabillas GS1000 cups and did this. I didn't punch the holes though. Couldn't bring myself to do it to those drivers. It was a great build...so much so that when I sold it, I regretted it immediately and re-did it with new cups, drivers, headband, etc...

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,353 of 4,994
A couple of years ago I used a pair of Cabillas GS1000 cups and did this. I didn't punch the holes though. Couldn't bring myself to do it to those drivers. It was a great build...so much so that when I sold it, I regretted it immediately and re-did it with new cups, drivers, headband, etc...

something is stopping me on buying these magnum drivers and most of all is the position of the turblent labs itself whos not giving any spec or graph for their drivers.
i guess that if you get 4 holes on a magnum driver will get alot of bass,much more than the GS1000. GS1000 bass is on the limit for my taste btw!
also i do believe it will be much better on rs1 type of headphones!

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3,356 of 4,994
I must have got lucky, I ordered X drivers about a month ago, showed up Saturday.
Not sure why they discontinued. I am sure glad I got a set though.
My build is Turbulent X drivers and headband from Turbulent Labs. Aluminum gimbals
and blocks from Martin Custom Audio. Claro cups from Vibro Labs. Venus Audio cable.
I put a rubber O ring and washer at the cup connections. It really seemed to improve the
Separation, clarity and soundstage. Overall very impressed with the sound. I like them
Better than my rs2s so far.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,357 of 4,994
Hi folks,

i'm willing to buy a pair of Turbulent X drivers, unfortunately the website shows the product as "discontinued"

Would you know where i might get a pair?

thanks in advance!

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #3,360 of 4,994
I'm sad to see martin custom audio is taking a break from custom orders. Prior to that news, I was ready to splurge on some custom headphones. Now I'm just looking for a solid pair of RS1 or RS1is.

I don't blame him...custom orders can get tough. Every pair you build is a new set of requirements and expectations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back