Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,286 of 4,994

That was probably the PS500.  I had the full Magnum and Wooded Magnum and the PS500e sounded really close in sound signature, but better bass, mids and treble, to my ears.
Just wanted some other impressions.

That's interesting. Just shows how subjective this hobby is. I listened to the PS1000 out of numerous sources and amps even it sounded grainy and distant compared to the Magnum. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,287 of 4,994
  That's interesting. Just shows how subjective this hobby is. I listened to the PS1000 out of numerous sources and amps even it sounded grainy and distant compared to the Magnum. 

The "e" versions really are more detailed and extended in both bass and treble. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,289 of 4,994
  Hey all, I've been an advocate of the Magnum X for a long time, but I had something of a revelation just now as I just finished building my old V4 drivers into Vibro Classic cups. I remember when I originally purchased the X drivers that I immediately noted some differences between them and the V4. Essentially, I tried the X and said "Even more clarity and more bass, hurray!" Once again, I've had the opportunity to visit this comparison. One thing that struck me after I listened to this newly completed V4 build is that holy crap, the mids on these are seductive. It's like listening to a high end record player, very sweet and analogue sounding but still detailed. The V4 has less bass than the X and the X is more clean and detailed sounding (especially in the aluminum shells) but man, the V4 is really, really good at what it does. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the X. In fact, I built the V4 back up in anticipation of selling them, but after listening them, the sound is so sexy and non-fatiguing that I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. By the way, I took these pics with the L-Cush pads, but the HD 414 pads absolutely crush them in sound, imo.

Here are some pics:

Awesome ! Looks great & thanks for the impressions!

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,290 of 4,994
How many headphones have you listened to that are 3-4 times the price? Cost of new 325i ($295.00) + mod ($450.00 iirc) x 4 ($2980.00) is more than any current headphone except for Stax 009 and Abyss 1266. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,293 of 4,994
Finally finished !

Metal portion of headband and Gimbals from SR80i

Turbulent X Drivers
Turbulent Leather headband
Vibro Classic cups
Canare cable (eBay)

So far everything sounding awesome !

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,295 of 4,994
Finally finished !

Metal portion of headband and Gimbals from SR80i

Turbulent X Drivers
Turbulent Leather headband
Vibro Classic cups
Canare cable (eBay)

So far everything sounding awesome !

Nicely done! :)

The cable, could you share where you found it on eBay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back