Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 21, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,256 of 4,994
Hey man I'm dead serious you should pm me your phone number so I can explain it to you inThanks 

Thanks for chatting with me and thanks for all the great advice ! I think it is the best time for me to go Magnum since I am already swapping cups and I have a bit of extra funds for this project. Much appreciated! Thanks for the call and I'll keep u posted on my progress

Jeff

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,257 of 4,994
Thanks for chatting with me and thanks for all the great advice ! I think it is the best time for me to go Magnum since I am already swapping cups and I have a bit of extra funds for this project. Much appreciated! Thanks for the call and I'll keep u posted on my progress

Jeff

Any time Jeff! I'm about to build a Magnum V4, myself. I'll either keep them as backup or sell them. Good luck with yours!

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,258 of 4,994
I once built a magnum with wood inserts/sleeves and a set of SR325 Goldies cups, with self braided cables using BTG wire (I think they were stripped canare cables or something).  The sound was phenomenal, but unfortunately for me, it was built for another head-fier after we talked a few times.  The headphones sound great, and I have yet to duplicate that magic since with other headphones.

I am building an all aluminum version now though.  Will likely just purchase a Grado cable or something instead of braiding the entire thing.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,259 of 4,994
I pushed the button on Magnums last night so now I'm waiting for cups and drivers

I watched TL cable install video here:

http://vimeo.com/52774575

I may need a few pointers. When I re-cabled Grados, I already had a base to work with. It looks like the installer on the video first filled in the blank "pads" with solder 

Is that about right? 

J

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #3,260 of 4,994
  I pushed the button on Magnums last night so now I'm waiting for cups and drivers

I watched TL cable install video here:

http://vimeo.com/52774575

I may need a few pointers. When I re-cabled Grados, I already had a base to work with. It looks like the installer on the video first filled in the blank "pads" with solder 

Is that about right? 

J

Yeah there are soldering pads on the back of the drivers where the + and - from the cable go. It's pretty straightforward.

Edit: Like you said, you basically just get a dot of solder on each pad, tin the bare wires, then solder them together (the wire to the dot on the pad).

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #3,261 of 4,994
  Yeah there are soldering pads on the back of the drivers where the + and - from the cable go. It's pretty straightforward.

Edit: Like you said, you basically just get a dot of solder on each pad, tin the bare wires, then solder them together (the wire to the dot on the pad).

Yes... If I hadn't seen the video I probably would have soldered to the existing dot of solder (probably wrong) In the video, the guy builds off the existing small dot to create a larger point on the blank gold pad.... Although it seems self explanatory, I want to make sure I'm interpreting correctly. I'm a bit more nervous about getting it right on the mangnums vs the sr80 & ksc75 cables I've done in the past

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,262 of 4,994
  Yes... If I hadn't seen the video I probably would have soldered to the existing dot of solder (probably wrong) In the video, the guy builds off the existing small dot to create a larger point on the blank gold pad.... Although it seems self explanatory, I want to make sure I'm interpreting correctly. I'm a bit more nervous about getting it right on the mangnums vs the sr80 & ksc75 cables I've done in the past

Well, your Grado phones that you recabled did have some solder left behind and in that case you do want to add fresh solder or even remove the old solder first (not 100 percent necessary). When you get your Magnum drivers, there will not be any solder on the pads--it will just be bare, so there is nothing to "build on."

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,263 of 4,994
I have the Magnum V4 "grey" drivers and I can unequivocally say they are better than any Grado I've heard. The Turbulent Labs version is a Magnum V5 I believe.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #3,265 of 4,994
In case this is helpful to those of you out there who have Magnums, there are a few things I'd like to point out about making your Magnums sound their best. Like Grados, there is much to be said about the effect that the pads have on the sound. Likewise, your DAC and amp will also have a great influence on the sound you get out of your Magnums. To this end, I've found that using gear with great synergy is something that takes the Magnums from good to outstanding. After owning the Magnum V5 since they came out and testing them in a variety of configurations, I've made the following observations and conclusions:

Your source, amp, and pad choice will work together and place the resulting sound somewhere on the spectrum between airier, detailed sound and a fuller, more impactful sound, with less soundstage. The key is finding the perfect balance. I've tried bowl pads, flat pads, quarter-modded hd 414 pads both regular and reversed , and G-cush pads. I've also tried taping my pads. My DAC is my Aune T1. The nice thing about the T1 is that it uses a tube, and the tube I choose determines the characteristics of the sound. I have tubes that are warmer,more intimate sounding and ones that are detailed, ones that are forward, aggressive sounding, etc. The T1 sound options, amp options and the pad options give me a ton of potential for tailoring the sound in different ways.

Here is what I've learned:

The Magnums are naturally extremely detailed. It is one of the most detailed headphones I've heard, and I've heard a lot. All current Grado headphones absolutely pale in comparison with respect to detail (mind you, I have not had the pleasure of listening to the HP1000, sadly). In my experience, you need something like the HD800 to surpass the detail of the Magnums, and even then, you are making sacrifices in other areas like intimacy. What I'm getting at is that the Magnums basically have clarity and detail to spare.

They also have a respectable soundstage for the type of sound you get out of them. There are many headphones that will give you more spacious soundstage, but I have to say the Magnum does not leave me wanting in this area. I might feel differently if I listened to Classical music. Magnums make up for this somewhat with great instrument separation. 

The Magnums have the potential for tight, impactful bass. It's not the deepest. If you are a basshead, there are many other headphones that will give you more bass. But to me, the bass of the Magnums is extremely satisfying with the right setup.

This is where synergy becomes important. Many people have tried to use flat pads or taped pads with their Magnums and Grados to get more bass presence. Most of the time, however, people conclude that too much is lost with respect to soundstage and details. I tend to agree. But after quite a bit of tinkering, I've found the balance I've been looking for. The formula for greatness, for my tastes, looks like this:

1) Get a source with great details and great soundstage. For me, I chose a tube that is both detailed and punchy sounding (Genalex Gold Lion, although I have an expensive vintage tube coming in the mail because I'm curious).

2) Your amp will make a difference, but the one you choose is going to be a matter of personal preference. Right now, the built in amp in my T1 is actually doing a nice job. I've tried numerous other solid state amps and while they do change the sound some, the difference usually isn't massive. You really just need one of good quality that will give you oomph in the low end and isn't overly bright. I plan to experiment with more amps in the future.

3)  Most people prefer the L-Cush bowl pads with their Magnums. The bowls do, in fact, sound great, but they will never give the best bass response. Because the Magnums are so detailed and because I've chosen a detailed source, however, I no longer feel like I'm compromising when I take off the L-Cush pads and put on a flatter pad. The best pad overall for me has been the HD 414 pad, quarter modded, and NOT reversed. The HD 414 pads in this setup bring out the bass potential in the Magnums without tarnishing its other great qualities.

So, in summary, if you have a source with nice detail and soundstage, and if you have an amp that provides some punch, and if you slap on the HD 414 pads, the result is a Magnum that provides a uniquely intimiate, detailed, tight sound that is simply not available elsewhere.

Edit: My Magnums have aluminum chambers. I will soon have a set of Vibro Classic wood chambers. I will see if the wood chambers have an impact, good or bad, on the sound and report back because I know most of you use wood.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,266 of 4,994
I have both the original aluminium Magnums and a pair of somewhat roughly made wood Magnums I bought out of curiosity. The wood ones are a bit darker, whereas the aluminium are quite bright (and one of the reasons for their big soundstage as it gives the instruments "air"). I usually use them for testing sources as shoving a bright, detailed treble in my face shows up any harshness or imperfections very clearly. They work extremely well with any kind of amping, from an iPhone or better however. I currently use mine with bowls that are tape-modded.

The closest Grado I ever found to the Magnums was the old, rare PS1. Whereas the HP1000s are more neutral, the PS1s were more v-shaped (from memory). 

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3,267 of 4,994
Joeq

Thanks for all the tips & thanks again for helping me along with this project.

Bought cups here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221638050109?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and drivers direct from website

Luke was very helpful answering questions pre-purchase 

I JUST emailed Jin today re status of drivers

In the meantime, I picked up a Fiio E11k amp to play around with. This may be an inexpensive amp but it is doing wonders for my SR80i

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,268 of 4,994
  Joeq

Thanks for all the tips & thanks again for helping me along with this project.

Right now I am starting to get a bit frustrated with the wait. Ordered Vibro cups on 1/20 and Magnums on 1/21

Bought cups here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221638050109?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and drivers direct from website

Luke was very helpful answering questions pre-purchase but hasn't answered any emails re: shipping status

I JUST emailed Jin today re status of drivers

In the meantime, I picked up a Fiio E11k amp to play around with. This may be an inexpensive amp but it is doing wonders for my SR80i

Hey any time! Regarding your wait, I'm also a bit frustrated that my cups haven't shipped. When I bought them, the for sale page quoted a 48 hour turnaround time. I did message Luke last week and he said he was behind on orders and would be shipping them over the weekend (as in, they should have shipped two days ago). Whether or not they've hit the mail yet, I'm not sure. I imagine the wait shouldn't be too much longer. Regarding the drivers, I know that it is common for them to take a while to arrive because these are shipped from another country, I think (can't remember which one).        

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,269 of 4,994
Hey any time! Regarding your wait, I'm also a bit frustrated that my cups haven't shipped. When I bought them, the for sale page quoted a 48 hour turnaround time. I did message Luke last week and he said he was behind on orders and would be shipping them over the weekend (as in, they should have shipped two days ago). Whether or not they've hit the mail yet, I'm not sure. I imagine the wait shouldn't be too much longer. Regarding the drivers, I know that it is common for them to take a while to arrive because these are shipped from another country, I think (can't remember which one).        

...they come from Thailand, but have a German return address (at least that was what was on my package last time I ordered some :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back