Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #3,076 of 4,994
According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps
redface.gif

Thanks man, really appreciated it.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,077 of 4,994
According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps
redface.gif

That is absolutely the best way, the only problem is accommodating(or trying to) for shrinkage or expansion. Mine were press fit 2 weeks ago, now they are a little loose. BUT, i didn't seal or use anything on them, just bare wood. I believe one should apply the finish to the "close" dimensions, on the smaller side possibly, then let them cure and "settle" for a few days, Then go back and sand to press fit. Anyone with more experience please chime in. Im going to make another set soon, but i really like the sound of bare untreated limba so far,i don't know if danish oil will alter the sound or not,

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3,078 of 4,994
 That is absolutely the best way, the only problem is accommodating(or trying to) for shrinkage or expansion. Mine were press fit 2 weeks ago, now they are a little loose. BUT, i didn't seal or use anything on them, just bare wood. I believe one should apply the finish to the "close" dimensions, on the smaller side possibly, then let them cure and "settle" for a few days, Then go back and sand to press fit. Anyone with more experience please chime in. Im going to make another set soon, but i really like the sound of bare untreated limba so far,i don't know if danish oil will alter the sound or not,

You should go for this:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-Qt-Clear-Shellac-Traditional-Finish-and-Sealer-00304H/100203332/
Awesome stuff! Wax free shellac won't soak too far into the wood like the Danish oil and gives a great finish with a couple coats. This is what thelostmidrange recommended to me. I use it on the outside and leave the insides naked.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3,079 of 4,994
Ya I have some shellac in the garage as well. I'm still under the impression that coat after coat even on the outside may be coloring the sound. But hell, who am I kidding I probably won't be able to tell.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3,081 of 4,994
The drivers take about 3 weeks to arrive...I live in Southern California.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #3,084 of 4,994
Usually...but I forgot to mention, they were on sabbatical until 12/09/2013. I ordered a headband a while back and Jin let me know they would only ship on the ninth...

Maybe you should drop him a line and ask?

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3,086 of 4,994
I can confirm the 9th was the day they shipped mine. I received an email with a tracking number for the headband. I think they don't usually send out the tracking number for their other products from what I'm reading in the FAQ.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3,087 of 4,994
Funnily enough, mine had a note on the envelope stating that if undelivered the package was to be returned to [insert German address here]. Very odd...didn't notice that the first time I ordered a pair.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,089 of 4,994
Apparently the drivers were designed with the L-Cush in mind, but my latest build sounded artificially hollow and thin with them. I can only assume this is because they are press-fit this time instead of snugly mounted using foam strips. Fixed the problem by going to flats though. Next stop: TTVJ flats probably, just to see...

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,090 of 4,994
Hi guys. I'm really curious as to how these perform against higher end Grado's, with MS pro's in terms of detail, separation, and neutrality? If hadn't bought it I would've taken the magnum route. Maybe my next buy if they do compare well in those areas plus the fact they have their own signature, so I can keep them both. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back