Grado modders go Magnum
Jul 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,681 of 4,994
Quote:
I've just finished my Magnums. V4 drivers, Cabillas cups, DIY aluminium rods and gimbals, DIY mahogany and leather headband, cardas wire and furutech connector. A few pics:

Hope you like it :)

Yeah, I like it.  How did you make the gimbals - sweet!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,682 of 4,994
Quote:
I've just finished my Magnums. V4 drivers, Cabillas cups, DIY aluminium rods and gimbals, DIY mahogany and leather headband, cardas wire and furutech connector. A few pics:

really nice.
beerchug.gif

about the sound?

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,683 of 4,994
Quote:
Yeah, I like it.  How did you make the gimbals - sweet!

Thanks!!

I did a mod to a set of sr60 with the same gimbal/rod set and posted some pictures of the modding process in an Spanish forum, maybe you'll find what you need in that thread: http://www.auriculares.org/foro/index.php?topic=5912.0. It's in spanish but hopefully you can make yourself an idea of the process with the pictures.
Quote:
really nice.
beerchug.gif

about the sound?

Well... it's a little bit early to really tell (just finished them last night), but I certainly wasn't expecting that much bass. Actually I bought two sets of flats (as I love all my grados with flats) but after a few minutes I had to replace them with bowls. I will leave them playing pink noise for a few days and see if there's any change. It's the first time I use cardas wire, and I wasn't expecting it to be so "dark" maybe it needs some burn in or maybe it's just not a good choice for this drivers/cups combination.... we'll see.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,684 of 4,994
Quote:
Well... it's a little bit early to really tell (just finished them last night), but I certainly wasn't expecting that much bass. Actually I bought two sets of flats (as I love all my grados with flats) but after a few minutes I had to replace them with bowls. I will leave them playing pink noise for a few days and see if there's any change. It's the first time I use cardas wire, and I wasn't expecting it to be so "dark" maybe it needs some burn in or maybe it's just not a good choice for this drivers/cups combination.... we'll see.

always i used my magnum with the flat and i loved but mine was the original with alluminuim chamber.
i dpn´t know if a woodied magnum have a big difference

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,685 of 4,994
Quote:

Great build!
I love the DIYed gimbals and rods.

I'm looking to improve my rodblocks, how did you DIY those?

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,686 of 4,994
Quote:
always i used my magnum with the flat and i loved but mine was the original with alluminuim chamber.
i dpn´t know if a woodied magnum have a big difference

I know we discussed this a lot a while ago. I'm still torn because there are things I love about my Magnums with flats and bowls. At the moment, I'm on bowls, but I definitely understand why you love the flats. I'm not so fond of "warm" signatures, and the flats, while seductive, are a bit warm for me. The Magnums really sound great, you can't go wrong either way, they're just different sounds.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,688 of 4,994
question... i though garados were expensive and already perfectly made from factory.. why is there so much modding of them needed?

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,689 of 4,994
Quote:
I know we discussed this a lot a while ago. I'm still torn because there are things I love about my Magnums with flats and bowls. At the moment, I'm on bowls, but I definitely understand why you love the flats. I'm not so fond of "warm" signatures, and the flats, while seductive, are a bit warm for me. The Magnums really sound great, you can't go wrong either way, they're just different sounds.

i would not talk about warm signature because mine was simply linear and balanced

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,691 of 4,994
Quote:
I guess I rather meant warmer than the bowls.

i preferred the bowls only for the soudstage.
the flat give more detail but i don´t think a warmer sound.
of course, this is my experience in my house and is a subjective impression

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,692 of 4,994
Quote:
i preferred the bowls only for the soudstage.
the flat give more detail but i don´t think a warmer sound.
of course, this is my experience in my house and is a subjective impression

I find that so interesting, because I found the exact opposite. Not suggesting you are wrong at all, I just find it interesting how subjective this can be. I found the flats to be somewhat more smooth and musical, but at the expense of detail relative to the bowls. You're making me want to go back and compare them again!

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,694 of 4,994
Quote:

These are beautiful man I hope that they sound as awesome as they look. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #1,695 of 4,994
Quote:

that wooden headband is absolutely gorgeous 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back