Grado Fan Club!
Sep 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #9,151 of 65,799
  Here's how I avoid spending lavish amounts of money buying higher end Grados, by spending lavish amounts of money on lower end Grados.
biggrin.gif

Poor man's GS-1000i.

I think I'll take a chance and double post on the 325i thread.  Perhaps I'll incur the wrath of the mighty moderators.
gs1000.gif

Wow!  Care to share the details?

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #9,152 of 65,799
  Here's how I avoid spending lavish amounts of money buying higher end Grados, by spending lavish amounts of money on lower end Grados.
biggrin.gif

Poor man's GS-1000i.
I think I'll take a chance and double post on the 325i thread.  Perhaps I'll incur the wrath of the mighty moderators.
gs1000.gif

I think after buying all that "bling" you've spent as much on your SR-325i as it would cost to buy the GS-1000i.  In fact, a GS-1000 was just sold about a week ago for about $590 + shipping.  They shure look purdy, though.

Edit: SR-325i ($299), Wooden Cups ($150 - Est.), Silver / Aluminum Gimbals ($150), Manta Leather Headband ($45), G-Cush ear pads ($45).  Total: $689.00. 
eek.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9,154 of 65,799

I think after buying all that "bling" you've spent as much on your SR-325i as it would cost to buy the GS-1000i.  In fact, a GS-1000 was just sold about a week ago for about $590 + shipping.  They shure look purdy, though.

Yeah...I really wish I had made a different decision regarding the GS1000's.  Pretty sure I will end up with a pair, I have the certain, I dunno, obsession might be the right word, to own a top-tier Grado.  I thought about getting my 225i's woodied, but the economics didn't make sense for me.  At the same time, the woodied SR's I've seen look awesome- I'm just wanting to climb to a certain performance level that the SR's were not designed to provide, I think.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #9,155 of 65,799
  wow didn't think my PS1000 comments would start such a huge debate, i feel bad. anyways umm i just sent the return request to crutchfield so i can ship them sometime this week.

i tried to like them alot, but i just found them too bright for me and for the money, not suitable for as wide variety of music as i wished. they seem to be like 325is but just more U shaped with bigger soundstage.

i still am a grado fan, and do love grados, my favorite by far being the RS1i. i previously owned an RS1i that was in an RS1 assembly. it failed and i got it repaired and replaced with RS1i drivers, so it still had the old cups with the buttons and the older cable which was thinner and longer than the newer ones. i really miss it, its a really good sounding headphone, great midrange and beautiful warmth and engagement.

i plan on re-buying a pair soon. maybe one day, i'll get lucky and come across the HP1000 or something too.

you shouldn't feel bad, i've been following you're posts , you took your time, made every effort to be fair, and you really showed someone like me, how evaluating a piece should be done. i'm pretty new to this thing, and i can get carried away with first impressions.
that first impression isn't always the long lasting impression. i took your comments to mean how you felt the headphones suited, (or not, in this case) your personal taste, NOT as any kind of indictment  of the sound quality of the ps1000 in general
just my $.02

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #9,156 of 65,799
  i plan on re-buying a pair soon. maybe one day, i'll get lucky and come across the HP1000 or something too.

I enjoy your posts and respect your reviews. You deserve to "come across" a good pair of HP1000.
They are a different animal altogether and I think you would appreciate and treasure them.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #9,157 of 65,799
Well I just got my SR225's back from Grado today. They replaced just about everything, both drivers, cable assembly and the earpads. Sounds good but I was thinking they would sound better, then I remembered, new drivers...need to be re-burned in. I still don't think they are going to end up sounding much like the 225i, they are just so much smoother. So I got exactly what I wanted another Grado phone that will sound good (and with the Grado sound) with anything I throw at it. Save me from buying another SR125i.

Hank

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #9,158 of 65,799
  Well I just got my SR225's back from Grado today. They replaced just about everything, both drivers, cable assembly and the earpads. Sounds good but I was thinking they would sound better, then I remembered, new drivers...need to be re-burned in. I still don't think they are going to end up sounding much like the 225i, they are just so much smoother. So I got exactly what I wanted another Grado phone that will sound good (and with the Grado sound) with anything I throw at it. Save me from buying another SR125i.

Hank

I'd say its the new pads rather than the drivers man, Grados change a crazy amount with different pads (even just newer vs older pads)

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9,159 of 65,799

I'd say its the new pads rather than the drivers man, Grados change a crazy amount with different pads (even just newer vs older pads)

Agreed - I think perhaps a lot of "burn-in" is simply a headphone's pads and headband relaxing a bit. Please don't everyone get upset - I'm not arguing against the idea of burn-in, just that the cause and result may not necessarily be the drivers in many cases.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #9,160 of 65,799

Agreed - I think perhaps a lot of "burn-in" is simply a headphone's pads and headband relaxing a bit. Please don't everyone get upset - I'm not arguing against the idea of burn-in, just that the cause and result may not necessarily be the drivers in many cases.
wink.gif

I concur.

Moving on...

If I wanted to get another pair of Grados what should I get? Are there any other flavours?

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #9,161 of 65,799

I concur.

Moving on...

If I wanted to get another pair of Grados what should I get? Are there any other flavours?

JMHO, but cost can still be a big consideration.  I think the RS1 and PS-500 hit the sweet spot, although the price is still high for new vs used.  They are both top-tier headphones, but they don't combine sky-high costs with the strange traits that seem to come with the GS-1000 and PS-1000.  Many prefer the PS-500 (HF-2) to the RS1 these days.  It's really a personal decision - more deep bass and a bit less high-end extension with the PS-500 vs. the articulate highs of the RS1.  IMHO, both have wonderful midrange and both are very fast.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #9,162 of 65,799

JMHO, but cost can still be a big consideration.  I think the RS1 and PS-500 hit the sweet spot, although the price is still high for new vs used.  They are both top-tier headphones, but they don't combine sky-high costs with the strange traits that seem to come with the GS-1000 and PS-1000.  Many prefer the PS-500 (HF-2) to the RS1 these days.  It's really a personal decision - more deep bass and a bit less high-end extension with the PS-500 vs. the articulate highs of the RS1.  IMHO, both have wonderful midrange and both are very fast.

Do you think there is any point getting both?

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #9,163 of 65,799

This may be the wrong place to ask that.  If course there is, and we want to read all about your comparison!

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #9,164 of 65,799

If you can afford it, yes.  I would like to have both, but I have to figure out how to get rid of my HF-1's and SR-225's, first.  I have the HF-2's, but have listened to the RS-1's for extended periods on many occasions.  The HF-1 is very similar in signature, with greater clarity, detail, and bass going to the RS-1's.  The HF-2/PS-500 is probably a better all-around can for rock, jazz, R&B, while the RS-1 is unbeatable with acoustic folk, rock, classical, etc.

Again - JMHO and YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back