Grado Fan Club!
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #9,121 of 66,264
To the contrary, I really appreciate when someone who owns a product can provide us with an objective viewpoint.  With many of the threads here on Head-Fi, people often quickly recommend a product that they own.  However, having the chance to read about experiences as well as good points vs. bad points of a product such as a headphone is what I love to read in a post.

If a post on a product is all sugar coated with not really an objective viewpoint or even the owner pointing out a few of the flaws, I don't put much credibility into that posting.  All of us hear differently.  All of us listen to different varieties of music and have different uses.  We're not always  going to have the most favorable view of a product just because 3 or 4 other members love the product.  

That is all.

Let the Grado discussions continue ...

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #9,122 of 66,264
  I read it as a suggestion that if you can't handle it, then don't read them. There's always the "Ignore" function too.

A more prudent approach would have been to simply clarify the purpose of a "fan" or "appreciation" thread. I've seen other similar threads where opposing viewpoints were deleted from the discussion, so it would seem that what's needed is for a mod - in this case Currawong - to offer clarification. Then everyone will know what is and is not appropriate in a thread such as this. Pretty simple. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #9,123 of 66,264

A more prudent approach would have been to simply clarify the purpose of a "fan" or "appreciation" thread. I've seen other similar threads where opposing viewpoints were deleted from the discussion, so it would seem that what's needed is for a mod - in this case Currawong - to offer clarification. Then everyone will know what is and is not appropriate in a thread such as this. Pretty simple. 

I don't think there are any, nor should there be. We should all be allowed to share our honest opinions. Very simple that way.

Stating you don't agree with someone is fine, but this was just too far tonight.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9,124 of 66,264
  I don't think there are any, nor should there be. We should all be allowed to share our honest opinions. Very simple that way.

Stating you don't agree with someone is fine, but this was just too far tonight.

If that's the case, then there's nothing DG said that was inappropriate. Everyone - including stacker - can operate with a clear understanding of the guidelines.  Problem solved. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #9,125 of 66,264
  My RS1i Grados arrived today.

Hi Wayne - back in Grado land 
biggrin.gif

Looking for an objective comment.  How would you rate the RS1i against the best of your previous woodied SR225 mods (I don't think you ever woodied the 325i - did you)?

I'm also considering a step back to Grado - really miss my 325i fwj - and wondering if I should just pony up and go RS1i.

How big is the difference?  Worth it?

Paul

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #9,126 of 66,264
  Stacker45: I'm going to put this publicly, rather than via PM, as it seems to be a problem when controversial top headphone models are discussed. How do you think you'd feel if someone made three posts in a thread about YOU because they didn't like your impressions of headphones? From time-to-time we get people trying to marginalise opinions that they don't like about a product, which doesn't result in anything other people becoming pissed off. I hope that is not what you're trying to do. 

I would think that fans of a company and their products would appreciate as much their failings as well as their achievements. Rather than reply to it (because I wont be checking this thread) please just consider this before you post any more. If you don't like reading negative comments about a pair of headphones you like a lot, I would suggest simply not reading any discussion of them, because they are going to come up.

I think that Grado fans have a hard enough time as it is when they venture on to other threads and dare mention the G word, without having their Fan club and Appreciation threads, hmm!, how do I say this politely?, anyway, I think you know what I'm getting at..

And just so you know, I can assure you that I am not the only one to think that Dubstep Girl's many negative comments regarding the PS1000 particularly, and Grado in general, have no place in an appreciation thread.

You obviously don't know me very well, because I'm nothing if not respectfull of others way of thinking, heck!, I'm even carefull to spell Grado the way a familly name should be, wich is, starting with a capital letter.

I sincerely think that you are targetting the wrong person here, but since you seem to think that I am the one who's out of place here, would you please care to explain to me what the pupose of an appreciation thread is?,

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #9,127 of 66,264
  Yeah.  I saw that she snuck it into another Grado thread.  I never would have seen it if I weren't trying to evaluate the GS1000 vs. the RS1.  The jury seems overwhelmingly in favor of the RS1i, with the GS1000 getting very few accolades, comparatively speaking.

Honestly, my main issue with the GS1ks was the Gcush pads...at first I really didn't like them as much as the Lcush...no idea why. But now that I've sort of gotten used to them, and since I've upgraded the gear, these are really showing their stuff. I still can't say they've overtaken my PS500s as my favorites, but they've damn near pulled even I think. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #9,128 of 66,264
I think that Grado fans have a hard enough time as it is when they venture on to other threads and dare mention the G word, without having their Fan club and Appreciation threads, hmm!, how do I say this politely?, anyway, I think you know what I'm getting at..

And just so you know, I can assure you that I am not the only one to think that Dubstep Girl's many negative comments regarding the PS1000 particularly, and Grado in general, have no place in an appreciation thread.

You obviously don't know me very well, because I'm nothing if not respectfull of others way of thinking, heck!, I'm even carefull to spell Grado the way a familly name should be, wich is, starting with a capital letter.

I sincerely think that you are targetting the wrong person here, but since you seem to think that I am the one who's out of place here, would you please care to explain to me what the pupose of an appreciation thread is?,

+1 here bro. Differing opinions are not a problem when stated objectively but this is a thread for Grado fans right?

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9,129 of 66,264

Hi Wayne - back in Grado land 
biggrin.gif

Looking for an objective comment.  How would you rate the RS1i against the best of your previous woodied SR225 mods (I don't think you ever woodied the 325i - did you)?

I'm also considering a step back to Grado - really miss my 325i fwj - and wondering if I should just pony up and go RS1i.

How big is the difference?  Worth it?

Paul

Hey Paul, I really like what I'm hearing.  Though, I want to be careful so I don't sound too much like a fanboi just yet.  It seems with all the Grados in the past, I was always seeking for more.  This was even the case with the HF-2.  The Magnums were able to satisfy most of my needs and desires.  But, the RS1i is providing just a pleasant level of upper frequencies.  It's not as aggressive as the lower Grados, but just the right amount.  The detail is there ... lovely ... but not overbearing.

At the moment, I'm just driving them through my $29 Asus Xonar sound card at the moment.  It has a small amp on it and the sound is really quite good out of the card.  However towards the end of this week, my Little Dot I+ will be arriving as will be my Music Streamer II DAC.  I'm eager to hear the sound that will be produced.

Finally, I also have a Magnum ver. 3.5 and a pair of Cabillas' cups heading my way.  I really want to see how that comparison will end up.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #9,130 of 66,264
I love seeing so many people giving the Little Dot I+ some love...David at LD should just become an authorized Grado dealer and start making a few extra bucks on a headphone sale since so many of us use his amp. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #9,131 of 66,264
stacker45: Note the "if". Keep appreciating Grados (or anything else) as you wish. I'm just saying, don't let comments you disagree with you get to you. 
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #9,132 of 66,264
  I love seeing so many people giving the Little Dot I+ some love...David at LD should just become an authorized Grado dealer and start making a few extra bucks on a headphone sale since so many of us use his amp. 

Actually, I have owned a Little Dot I+ in the past.  At the time, I had moved over to an orthodynamic headphone and had to move towards something with a bit more juice.  This next one is coming with 5654 tubes.  From the description of their sound, it seems it might be a better starting point, but time will tell.  Plus, I don't see myself as becoming a spastic tube roller either.

A pic of the last Little Dot I+ I had (but just never used with Grados):

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #9,133 of 66,264
My Little Dot 1+, Meridian Explorer, PS500 combo is quickly becoming my favorite headphone setup I've ever had.  It's just so musical and I can listen for hours with no fatigue, it sounds so good that I just bought my first cd over a vinyl version of the same album. 
eek.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #9,134 of 66,264

Actually, I have owned a Little Dot I+ in the past.  At the time, I had moved over to an orthodynamic headphone and had to move towards something with a bit more juice.  This next one is coming with 5654 tubes.  From the description of their sound, it seems it might be a better starting point, but time will tell.  Plus, I don't see myself as becoming a spastic tube roller either.

rca 5654 , killer, cheap
mullard 6am6, my favorite of the ones i had, and affordable
and as i am a bit of a tube roller, i could see myself gettin another LD at some point, the tubes are cheaper than the lyr's tubes

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #9,135 of 66,264

I'm sort of the same way...I love that there are so many great tubes out there to try, but I tend to get advice from my tube guy - who has never led me wrong - and choose a single pair to run with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back