Grado Fan Club!
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #9,136 of 66,264
Is also love to hear more about the gs1000 vs RS1 vs ps1000

I'm just in love with the overall sound of my sr80 but the flaws of the price point are there...I'd love to get that sound with a little more on top

Not trying to be a broken record but I really could be a grado fanboi, while for the last year I thought I was gonna be an ortho guy forever LOL

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #9,137 of 66,264

I'm just in love with the overall sound of my sr80 but the flaws of the price point are there...I'd love to get that sound with a little more on top

Not trying to be a broken record but I really could be a grado fanboi, while for the last year I thought I was gonna be an ortho guy forever LOL

If you want to improve on the SR60-SR225 sound then RS1 is the best option.
The PS1000 seems to be more of an improved SR325 and the GS1000 is a bit of an oddball model that doesn't really sound like anything else in the Grado lineup.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #9,138 of 66,264
I have the GS1000 and RS1 and formerly had the PS1000.
In short:
RS1: very direct and forward, especially in the mids, natural vocals and fun as all heck, not much depth. (I've had these for 13 years and use the flat pads for excellent comfort and sound.)
Light as a feather and pretty amazing sound for something that you barely feel you have on. They would be my choice for portable listening.

PS1000: big sound but sometimes punishing bulbous bass and piercing highs. Not my cup of tea. Sold them after a year with them. I even tried recabling/balancing them and it didn't help.
They feel a bit heavy and also sound a little heavy.

GS1000i: Spacious open sound but not *too* far away or distant. Very satisfying but can sometimes pick up shrillness in the chain, but just sometimes and not really painful, sometimes
it actually adds to the fun, but it seems to be a mild coloration, but still OK in my book. 
Very nice mids and decent detail, controlled pretty deep bass, and has that Grado fun factor. Incredibly comfortable and light, almost better than no phones at all. 
A light touch but still lots of impact, a neat combination.
Very refined sound with no grain and walks the line between excitement and ease. My favorite Grado so far. I had the original GS1000 for 3 years and have used the i-version
for about a year.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #9,139 of 66,264

Whoa there- that makes at least three of us drifting from ortho's to Grado.

I'm finding that the similarity between the HE-5LE and the 225i I once got ridiculed for making (just a bit, and all in good fun) is even more pronounced.  The 5LE is awesome, and it shares common ground in the mids.  The teble is much better, and the bass sometimes feels like I'm wearing a subwoofer on my head, but the 225i's are still my go-to can.  The mids are similar, the detail is similar.  The 5LE's win every comparison, but they are still not as fun.

Therfore, I have increasing interest in the upper-Grado's, especially the RS1i, RS2i, and GS1000.  And who am I kidding, I will probably own each one of these at some point as I work my way to an end game

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #9,140 of 66,264
I have the GS1000 and RS1 and formerly had the PS1000.

In short:

RS1: very direct and forward, especially in the mids, natural vocals and fun as all heck, not much depth. (I've had these for 13 years and use the flat pads for excellent comfort and sound.)

Light as a feather and pretty amazing sound for something that you barely feel you have on. They would be my choice for portable listening.

PS1000: big sound but sometimes punishing bulbous bass and piercing highs. Not my cup of tea. Sold them after a year with them. I even tried recabling/balancing them and it didn't help.

They feel a bit heavy and also sound a little heavy.

GS1000i: Spacious open sound but not *too* far away or distant. Very satisfying but can sometimes pick up shrillness in the chain, but just sometimes and not really painful, sometimes

it actually adds to the fun, but it seems to be a mild coloration, but still OK in my book. 

Very nice mids and decent detail, controlled pretty deep bass, and has that Grado fun factor. Incredibly comfortable and light, almost better than no phones at all. 

A light touch but still lots of impact, a neat combination.

Very refined sound with no grain and walks the line between excitement and ease. My favorite Grado so far. I had the original GS1000 for 3 years and have used the i-version

for about a year.

is there significantly more bass with the GS1000 (G-Cush) compared to the RS1 (flats)?

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #9,141 of 66,264

Believe me, I love the orthodynamic dynamics.  With such headphones, you may have reached the pinnacle of audio.  After a bit of time, I've realized that only about 1/10th of the amp market really has amps capable enough of supporting an ortho headphone.  This made me rethink my plans.  Also, when a buyer purchases a headphone with a sensitivity level down in the 87dB to 91dB range, they may not think of getting an adquate amp in the beginning.  This can lead to them having to open their wallet again and put down more cash to get the adequate amplifier.  Then, there's the issue of weight.  Some of complained that the headphones are too heavy when one wears them for a long time.

As time went along, I realized that I was more into the orthos and the amps that could drive them - as opposed to the music.  When music is what it is all about, then getting hung up on the gear and obsessing in that area isn't doing one any good.  Thus, I just wanted a headphone where I could enjoy the music as well as a bigger selection of amps in the event I wanted to dabble with those further down the road.

Additionally, I would be obsessed with looking for the next ortho headphone in the food chain to buy in hope of it being an upgrade.  More time an money spent.  However, with the RS1i, I do realize there are a few additional models from Grado that I could purchase.  But, I'm getting the feeling from my listening that the RS1i is provding me with some great sound - and, hopefully, I'll be content for a bit longer into the future.

Different headphones will appeal to different people.  There isn't a one size fits all solution.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #9,142 of 66,264
Yes, there is a decently larger amount of bass with the GS than the RS, at least subjectively.
And the bass seems to be in the right place and has a nice reverberent nature, whereas with the RS, it seems to be generated by the driver,
like the driver is something I feel aware of right next to my ear.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #9,143 of 66,264
  How big is the difference?  Worth it?

I have both the RS1i and SR225i, and the RS1s are absolutely worth the upgrade! If only for the metal gimbals, haha (just kidding). The SR225s are my take-out-of-the-house pair that travel to coffee shops and stuff!

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #9,144 of 66,264
Metal Gimbals!
beerchug.gif

Yes, the lack plastic on the RS1 makes a huge aesthetic difference which, combined with the larger cups, makes the RS1 a worthy upgrade from the SR or RS2! 
Go all out and get black metal rod blocks from Martin Custom Audio! 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #9,147 of 66,264

How much of a sound improvement can be gained by that upgrade?  I'm curious.

Just a little.They tighten up like the HP-1000 and do allow you to better maintain your optimal fit/tension.
If you have ever tried an HP-1000 the benefit of being able to tighten down the cup position is evident, to me anyway...
You also don't have your cable tangled from spinning cups, though that is not really an SQ improvement.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #9,148 of 66,264
wow didn't think my PS1000 comments would start such a huge debate, i feel bad. anyways umm i just sent the return request to crutchfield so i can ship them sometime this week.

i tried to like them alot, but i just found them too bright for me and for the money, not suitable for as wide variety of music as i wished. they seem to be like 325is but just more U shaped with bigger soundstage.

i still am a grado fan, and do love grados, my favorite by far being the RS1i. i previously owned an RS1i that was in an RS1 assembly. it failed and i got it repaired and replaced with RS1i drivers, so it still had the old cups with the buttons and the older cable which was thinner and longer than the newer ones. i really miss it, its a really good sounding headphone, great midrange and beautiful warmth and engagement.

i plan on re-buying a pair soon. maybe one day, i'll get lucky and come across the HP1000 or something too.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #9,149 of 66,264
How much of a sound improvement can be gained by that upgrade?  I'm curious.

It makes them precisely 13.37% better. Its a more 3d holographic sound. The bass tightens up and the mids gain some warmth.

Its not quite as nice an upgrade as adding flame decals and racing stripes to the hp2 though.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #9,150 of 66,264
Here's how I avoid spending lavish amounts of money buying higher end Grados, by spending lavish amounts of money on lower end Grados.
biggrin.gif

Poor man's GS-1000i.

I think I'll take a chance and double post on the 325i thread.  Perhaps I'll incur the wrath of the mighty moderators.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back