Grado Fan Club!
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8,776 of 65,990
Quote:

That's very odd...I know many people who were sent parts at no charge. Guess you got them on a bad day. 

Yeah, probably. And I even offered to pay  
size]

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8,777 of 65,990
Quote:
Yeah, probably. And I even offered to pay  
size]

I just asked them to clarify the policy so I understand it, and they said they send out gimbals and endcaps for the Prestige series as a courtesy, but otherwise the headphone needs to go back to them for repair. 

You may want to check with both Martin of martincustomaudio.com and Todd at ttvjaudio.com

Also...Larry Dale at www.headphile.com and www.turbulentlabs.com

I'm also wondering if maybe Alessandro could help you... http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #8,778 of 65,990
Yeah, I send my 325i to martin so that he change the cups, the drivers and the gimbals. So when it comes back I will have a pair of 325i drivers, the headband and the gimbals. All I need is the iron and new cable and I'll have a brand new SR325i. 
But, as there is no hurry, someday I'll find it.
size]

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #8,779 of 65,990
i may be kinda figuring out some of the "differences" or "preferences" may be more accurate  
the ms2-  better "all rounder" better with with poor source material , great with live shows, for the most part
                i keep reaching for this with the dead, the older dead sets, dick's pick's , etc , more intimate
the ps500- more demanding of material, really shines with well recorded studio albums
                   but i said it before, when everything is just right,  chills, stunning
                   not that the ms2 isn't capable of greatness, but the 500 does it more often
                   almost regularly , more "grand"        live pink floyd wow, dire straights awesome

neither seems to genre specific to me, at least to what i've listened to so far, haven't listened to much jazz
or classical yet, just bits here and there

these are just the way my thoughts seem to be going at the present

even before i finished writing the , i was moving the box MH shipped the 500's in, i FORGOT the cans included the grado g-cushions
i've been using my knock offs !! the difference in the shape and size is more pronounced than the L's, though material seems pretty close
more to come !!

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #8,780 of 65,990
Quote:

That's very odd...I know many people who were sent parts at no charge. Guess you got them on a bad day. 

Grado will never sell you parts but will replace free most small broken parts e.g. gimbals, lost buttons, failed rod blocks.
If you ask to just purchase a part to use in your own project - not replace a broken part of a Grado product - they always say no. 

Maybe if you said you somehow damaged the metal band (seems unlikely to break) and need a replacement they would send one free.

You can also try Martin at Martin Custom Audio. I recall he had some metal bands made for his custom builds with his metal gimbal/rod blocks.
He may be willing to sell you one - or better yet buy a set of his gimbals/rod blocks!
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #8,781 of 65,990
Please, please, please no love for the GS1K!!!!!!!  I don't think I could take it.  One day, I swear, I will own them, but I have spent WAY too much money on cans that I don't have time and won't have time to listen to for a while.

But the GS1000 haunts me in my sleep....

Yeah, they seems to talk about rs1 and ps500 more.
From memory, 2 grados that i lile are rs1 and gs1k.
I'll give rs1 a try again.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #8,782 of 65,990
Quote:
Yeah, I send my 325i to martin so that he change the cups, the drivers and the gimbals. So when it comes back I will have a pair of 325i drivers, the headband and the gimbals. All I need is the iron and new cable and I'll have a brand new SR325i. 
But, as there is no hurry, someday I'll find it.
size]

Good for you!  I did the same but should have done it all at once instead of twice,  Look at my pics.  I love them and I will always have them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #8,785 of 65,990
Quote:
Quote:
Good for you!  I did the same but should have done it all at once instead of twice,  Look at my pics.  I love them and I will always have them.

They are beutiful!
size]

I choose this model:

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2013/03/flamed-coco-fwjs.html

Fantastic!  Detachable cables, too.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #8,788 of 65,990
Which grado has the smoothest treble and the fullest mids?

these are the Grados that I own/have owned. SR80i SR225i SR325i PS500 RS1 (Classic) Of those I would say the PS500 has the smoothest treble but the mids seem recessed because the mid bass is a little "hyped". the RS1 is close as far as smooth treble, but the mids are more full than the PS500 mids.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #8,789 of 65,990
Quote:

these are the Grados that I own/have owned.SR80iSR225iSR325iPS500RS1 (Classic)Of those I would say the PS500 has the smoothest treble but the mids seem recessed because the mid bass is a little "hyped". the RS1 is close as far as smooth treble, but the mids are more full than the PS500 mids.

when i see things like this, it cranks my brain to 11,
agrees with the description of the 500, (in my very limited time with it)
which is one reason i intend to keep the ms2 the mids !

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #8,790 of 65,990
[size=9.5pt]SR80i with an amp or SR225i/325is/MS2i without it?[/size][size=9.5pt][/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]I have a pair of SR80i, and $200+ worth of amps and DACs and I figured I could sell the amps, and for little extra cash get a pair of SR325is or MS2i. I will have to wait for a while before I get a new DAC/Amp.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back