Grado Fan Club!
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8,791 of 65,714
[size=9.5pt]SR80i with an amp or SR225i/325is/MS2i without it?[/size][size=9.5pt][/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]I have a pair of SR80i, and $200+ worth of amps and DACs and I figured I could sell the amps, and for little extra cash get a pair of SR325is or MS2i. I will have to wait for a while before I get a new DAC/Amp.[/size]

the one thing that always amazed me with the SR80i is how great it sounds without any amping. The 225 was not bad without an amp but I preferred the sound of the 80 over it. More depth/3D and smoother highs, the 325 i don't reccomend using without an amp as you really need a good source to hear the benefits of the 325. it's like putting in a 500 horse power engine into your car but not upgrading the tires, all the extra muscle can't be transferred into anything useful.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #8,792 of 65,714
Quote:

the one thing that always amazed me with the SR80i is how great it sounds without any amping. The 225 was not bad without an amp but I preferred the sound of the 80 over it. More depth/3D and smoother highs, the 325 i don't reccomend using without an amp as you really need a good source to hear the benefits of the 325. it's like putting in a 500 horse power engine into your car but not upgrading the tires, all the extra muscle can't be transferred into anything useful.

I agree with this after finally purchasing a couple of different headphone amps for the 325's, but the 80's sound great out of anything I've tried them with. The 325's really do shine with the right amp/dac.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8,794 of 65,714
Quote:
Fantastic!  Detachable cables, too.

Yes, I guess detachable cables are good and easier to change. Now is just wait and see
size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #8,795 of 65,714
Quote:
i'm no techy, but isn't iTunes just software/interface. Isn't it the hardware that affects sound quality? I have iTunes and Foobar, and I don't hear any difference between the two when playing the same file on the same PC.

Hey Sam and anyone else interested.

Right after you posted this, I also found an article on Audioholics about the different media servers:   http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/best-audiophile-music-software

I have since downloaded and installed JRiver.  Until two days ago, I used Media Monkey, My Movies for Media Center and occasionally Foobar.  I have since deleted them all.

Even if the sound quality isn't all that much better, and I really believe that it is, the ease and configurability of JRiver trounces the other software.  And I really don't like changing software.

What I notice first of all is no noise from the computer.  None- it is the blackest background I have heard to day.  Very smooth.

Oh, and it even found the metadata for the band Billows.  How crazy is that, Sam?  I'm really impressed with how it handles everything, from movies to obscure Stoner/Doom bands.  Tomorrow I should have time to take it for a spin with my 225i's

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #8,796 of 65,714
Quote:

Right after you posted this, I also found an article on Audioholics about the different media servers:   http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/best-audiophile-music-software

I have since downloaded and installed JRiver.  Until two days ago, I used Media Monkey, My Movies for Media Center and occasionally Foobar.  I have since deleted them all.

Even if the sound quality isn't all that much better, and I really believe that it is, the ease and configurability of JRiver trounces the other software.  And I really don't like changing software.

What I notice first of all is no noise from the computer.  None- it is the blackest background I have heard to day.  Very smooth.

Oh, and it even found the metadata for the band Billows.  How crazy is that, Sam?  I'm really impressed with how it handles everything, from movies to obscure Stoner/Doom bands.  Tomorrow I should have time to take it for a spin with my 225i's

jriver is all i've ever used
oh, and their community boards were a big help with the popping noises i was getting with hrt products

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #8,797 of 65,714

thanks Scott. I'll have to check it out.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #8,798 of 65,714
Got my HP2's today.  Very good looking phones aesthetically, solidly built.  They really can't compare to some of the current flagships soundwise as far as being the jack-of-all-trades type headphone.  But that's not to say they're bad, they are a Grado and if you like that sound (as I assume most people reading this thread do), they definitely fit that bill.

Thinking back to my old RS1 I no longer own, these seam less aggressive and more balanced.  Guitars are beautiful per usual etc etc. All in all I'm glad I finally was able to try them, very nice phone I'll probably hold onto for a while.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8,799 of 65,714
I thought using a DAC you would get either a noise free source or, at least, no noise from computer. They talk about "self containing database", what? Media players have been using databases since winamp. And what's that "Music stored locally, on external HDD, or NAS."? Any music player can play from NAS *which is a generic term for CIFS/SMB shared folder) and it's supported by operation systems not by the media players...c'mon, what a poor review.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #8,800 of 65,714
Quote:
I thought using a DAC you would get either a noise free source or, at least, no noise from computer. They talk about "self containing database", what? Media players have been using databases since winamp. And what's that "Music stored locally, on external HDD, or NAS."? Any music player can play from NAS *which is a generic term for CIFS/SMB shared folder) and it's supported by operation systems not by the media players...c'mon, what a poor review.

I think there may be a bit to be skeptical about in that review...

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #8,801 of 65,714
HELLO ALL!!!!

JUST GOT MY GRADOS!!!! Awesome headphones great imaging, bass wasnt as bad as I thought and yep, they are completely open and the clamping force is a bit strong but pretty comfortable! Listening to Supermercy -Muse right now!

Happy Billson :D

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #8,803 of 65,714
Quote:
HELLO ALL!!!!

JUST GOT MY GRADOS!!!! Awesome headphones great imaging, bass wasnt as bad as I thought and yep, they are completely open and the clamping force is a bit strong but pretty comfortable! Listening to Supermercy -Muse right now!

Happy Billson
biggrin.gif

Congrats!!

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #8,804 of 65,714
wow, changing tubes to the erricson 408a really improved the mid bass on the ps500 , lost a little sparkle up top mabybe
buy but very tight, snappy bass, listening to some talking heads this a. m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back