Grado Fan Club!
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #8,807 of 65,714
Quote:
Thanks! Awesome pair of headphone! Surprisingly really tight bass and it's actually pretty good with electronic but hey, I find my XBA-4 to do better in that xD

Let's give it more burn in
biggrin.gif

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, Grado bass is nice and clean, but not ample. When I want to fire up ATB, Deadmau5, Massive Attack, or soemthing along those lines I'll usually switch over to my T1s. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #8,808 of 65,714
HELLO ALL!!!!

JUST GOT MY GRADOS!!!! Awesome headphones great imaging, bass wasnt as bad as I thought and yep, they are completely open and the clamping force is a bit strong but pretty comfortable! Listening to Supermercy -Muse right now!

Happy Billson :D
Clamping force cn be easily changed by slowly flexing the headband "out" or "in" as required. Loosening a bit may reduce bass a tad though.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8,809 of 65,714
PS500's just arrived!!!  They are just laying beside me in the box until I get off work at 5.  :frowning2:  My co-worker thought I was crazy buying a $600 dollar headphone and she just bought a $1760 Louis Vuitton pocket book.  lol

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #8,810 of 65,714
Quote:
PS500's just arrived!!!  They are just laying beside me in the box until I get off work at 5.  :frowning2:  My co-worker thought I was crazy buying a $600 dollar headphone and she just bought a $1760 Louis Vuitton pocket book.  lol

LOL...too funny. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8,811 of 65,714
Quote:

my lyr just arrived, i'm at home, listening to ray charles and van morrison sing crazy love in 24/96, with my ps500's !!
sorry, couldn't help myself !

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #8,813 of 65,714
Quote:

ARGH!!!  lol.  Only 90 more minutes I keep telling myself... only 89 more minutes... lol

they really are capable of amazing things
they can be picky though, of source material, and associated equipment, just my impression thus far

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #8,814 of 65,714
my lyr just arrived, i'm at home, listening to ray charles and van morrison sing crazy love in 24/96, with my ps500's !!
sorry, couldn't help myself !

how do you find the Lyr with the Grados? 6W @ 32ohms seems a bit crazy. Can you actually get enough control over the volume? Also I am looking for tube amp reccomendations (not hybrid) that work well with low impedance headphones. Can anyone make reccomendations? the only one that I am aware of is the Woo WA6.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #8,815 of 65,714
Quote:

how do you find the Lyr with the Grados? 6W @ 32ohms seems a bit crazy. Can you actually get enough control over the volume?Also I am looking for tube amp reccomendations (not hybrid) that work well with low impedance headphones. Can anyone make reccomendations? the only one that I am aware of is the Woo WA6.

"Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived." !!! (from the schiit website)
seriously, i've just listened for about 45 minutes , there is plenty of control over the volume, seems normal , what's not normal, or at least i was unprepared
control of the bass, DYNAMIC, PRAT, gobs of it, now its a hybrid, it blows the LD1+ away, and its killer, wanna buy a little dot ?? lol
serious, i do need to sell some ( i now have 4 amps, 2 dacs), i'm relatively sure it WONT be the lyr

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #8,816 of 65,714
Quote:
"Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived." !!! (from the schiit website)
seriously, i've just listened for about 45 minutes , there is plenty of control over the volume, seems normal , what's not normal, or at least i was unprepared
control of the bass, DYNAMIC, PRAT, gobs of it, now its a hybrid, it blows the LD1+ away, and its killer, wanna buy a little dot ?? lol
serious, i do need to sell some ( i now have 4 amps, 2 dacs), i'm relatively sure it WONT be the lyr

Whatcha sellin?

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #8,817 of 65,714
Quote:

Glad you like it :)  My friend Nat (nelamvr6 here at HF) told me the Lyr is perfectly fine with low impedance cans... no reason to worry about blowing out the drivers.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #8,818 of 65,714
Quote:
I listened to rs1i today, very nice.

Still auditioning my RS1i, but I would be very surprised if they go back to the store on Monday (or ever)... :)

Despite the obvious coloration, their ability to resolve detail is the best I've ever heard.  Slightly congested sometimes with orchestral music (must be the mid bump) but for anything small-group and in particular acoustic instruments they just sing.  I'm very impressed... and I still haven't tried my spare s-flats on them to bring the bass up.

Funny thing happened last night... I was listening to the Beatles White Album via the RS1i (my favorite album of all time and the one I've heard the most I'd think) and the cat was sitting on me getting her ears scratched.  "Blackbird" came on and when the bird sounds started she went completely nuts, huge eyes and her head darting back and forth looking at each ear cup.  These must be pretty good cans to fool a cat. :D

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #8,819 of 65,714
Quote:
Glad you like it :)  My friend Nat (nelamvr6 here at HF) told me the Lyr is perfectly fine with low impedance cans... no reason to worry about blowing out the drivers.

i've chatted with nat over there,
i did here especially before the soft start feature was added, some drivers did go POOF !
i'm pretty good about not leaving stuff plugged in, and proper powering up and down
(left over habit from my tube amp hi fi days)

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8,820 of 65,714
Quote:
i've chatted with nat over there,
i did here especially before the soft start feature was added, some drivers did go POOF !
i'm pretty good about not leaving stuff plugged in, and proper powering up and down
(left over habit from my tube amp hi fi days)

I'm just learning all the tube-relevant stuff now with the Little Dot... probably not quite as necessary as with the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back