Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #8,521 of 65,791
i can remember years ago on a hi fi day trip, i visited two shops, one specialized in big, american gear, cost no object type stuff
the other mostly britt gear, namely linn
listening to a system of all linn gear, i can't remember the price, but it was entry level, way under
10k i'm sure, i remember telling the salesman that earlier that day, i had heard some big huge mega system, consisting of wilson, levinson, audio research, etc, and i found this little linn system more fun to listen to, enjoying it more, connecting to the music more
i'm sure one measured better, built better(?), SHOULD have been better, but it was the linn that was fun
it could be psychological but who ares

I like my technically inferior SR80i more than the HD600. That's why I didn't hesitate selling the senns when I needed some cash.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #8,523 of 65,791
I got a TEAC AG-790A receiver, although I haven't bought it to serve as a headphone amp I thought I would get a decent sound quality for my sr-325i from the phone output, but it turns out that the sound is just awful. I know it's not "high-end" receiver but is it true that all receveiver will sound bad with grado?

ps.: I like the receiver with the speakers I have and it sounds gradoish.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #8,524 of 65,791
Quote:
I like my technically inferior SR80i more than the HD600. That's why I didn't hesitate selling the senns when I needed some cash.

If you don't mind my asking, what makes the 80i technically inferior to the HD600?

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8,525 of 65,791
Quote:
I got a TEAC AG-790A receiver, although I haven't bought it to serve as a headphone amp I thought I would get a decent sound quality for my sr-325i from the phone output, but it turns out that the sound is just awful. I know it's not "high-end" receiver but is it true that all receveiver will sound bad with grado?

Heck no!  I use my 225is with a standard, modern Marantz SR-7003.  I hear no need to upgrade my amp whatsoever!

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #8,526 of 65,791
Quote:

I had the 325's before repurchasing the sr80's (ruined my prior pair of 80's so I went for the 325's). I thought the 325's sounded great out of my Adcom GFP-710 headphone out...until I repurchased the 80' again and plugged them into my Adcom, and they blew the 325's away!
Since then I have purchased the Schiit Magni/Modi combo and the LD1+, and for sure I now know what I've been missing with the 325's. It seems to me that the 325's are much more sensative with what you feed them, but the 80's are less sedsative. If I didn't purchase these components for the 325's, I probably would have sold them compared to how the 80's sounded out of the Adcom. But now I can enjoy the differences with all of my equipment, so it's all here to stay. So if I were you I would definitly look into a headphone amp and DAC for the 325's. I was against buying a headphone amp due to all of the different opinions that I have read, and people saying they  probably wouldn't benifit,  but I'm sure glad that I did buy them, the amps and DAC made a tremendous difference with the 325's. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #8,527 of 65,791

A good built-in headamp is very low priority in the receiver market. Consider what a receiver costs, all the features and things it does, then imagine how much $ they could spend on the headphone output.

High fidelity cans really "like" a good headphone amp (assuming a high quality souce).

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #8,528 of 65,791
Quote:
I had the 325's before repurchasing the sr80's (ruined my prior pair of 80's so I went for the 325's). I thought the 325's sounded great out of my Adcom GFP-710 headphone out...until I repurchased the 80' again and plugged them into my Adcom, and they blew the 325's away!
Since then I have purchased the Schiit Magni/Modi combo and the LD1+, and for sure I now know what I've been missing with the 325's. It seems to me that the 325's are much more sensative with what you feed them, but the 80's are less sedsative. If I didn't purchase these components for the 325's, I probably would have sold them compared to how the 80's sounded out of the Adcom. But now I can enjoy the differences with all of my equipment, so it's all here to stay. So if I were you I would definitly look into a headphone amp and DAC for the 325's. I was against buying a headphone amp due to all of the different opinions that I have read, and people saying they  probably wouldn't benifit,  but I'm sure glad that I did buy them, the amps and DAC made a tremendous difference with the 325's. 

i can remember you posting that you felt you'd probably sell one of the amps, and i thought i bet he keeps them ! lol, while i've never heard the 325 or the 80, i know differences in amps, dacs can be heard in the 60, and even more so in the 225, and with the 225, and my ms2, i can hear differences in different tubes in both my little dot, and g3, which goes to the point, until we actually hear something for ourselves all the reading about, researching only goes so far, i'm trying to trust my own ears more, because its my ears that i live with , lol

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #8,530 of 65,791
Quote:
i can remember you posting that you felt you'd probably sell one of the amps, and i thought i bet he keeps them ! lol, while i've never heard the 325 or the 80, i know differences in amps, dacs can be heard in the 60, and even more so in the 225, and with the 225, and my ms2, i can hear differences in different tubes in both my little dot, and g3, which goes to the point, until we actually hear something for ourselves all the reading about, researching only goes so far, i'm trying to trust my own ears more, because its my ears that i live with , lol

Yes I did post that I would probably sell one of the amp, but you know how that goes. I've been using the LD for a while now with the Voskhod tubes and the Modi, and I'm really enjoying the sound, so I haven't listened to the Magni, but I will again, and like I said they are both keepers. Very good point in saying you must hear things for yourself to determine if it is for your tastes or not, but between the Adcom and the headphone amps for the 325's, the difference to my ears is incredible! The 325's just bloomed into something that I never heard/expected, so the headphones are definitely both keepers also!

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #8,531 of 65,791
Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what makes the 80i technically inferior to the HD600?

HD600 has lower distortion numbers, less ringing (sound will be less harsh at high frequencies), better square wave response with the midrange frequencies (meaning that sound is more accurate to the recording without extra treble energy) plus a larger soundstage. It also has a more neutral frequency response, but I feel that Grados skew outside of the neutral response entirely on purpose. 

Doesn’t mean the SR80 isn't enjoyable, but the HD600 has better technical merits

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #8,532 of 65,791
Yeah maybe "awful" was too strong. I'm finding now that CDs and FLACs sound ok from the TEAC and mp3 are overall rubbish with the sr325i (it's where the awful came from probably). I have a FiiO DAC/amp which I use as line out to the receiver and as a headphone amp. They are not "hight-end" but again they are nice little devices built with the sole purpose of audio
biggrin.gif

I'll still have to listen a litle more to the receiver with the sr325 to get to know what my prefference is, but I start to think that the receiver might be better than my FiiO amp which was making awful files sounding not that awful and that the more balanced receiver was making awful files sound awful. Something like that.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #8,533 of 65,791
Quote:
Yes I did post that I would probably sell one of the amp, but you know how that goes. I've been using the LD for a while now with the Voskhod tubes and the Modi, and I'm really enjoying the sound, so I haven't listened to the Magni, but I will again, and like I said they are both keepers. Very good point in saying you must hear things for yourself to determine if it is for your tastes or not, but between the Adcom and the headphone amps for the 325's, the difference to my ears is incredible! The 325's just bloomed into something that I never heard/expected, so the headphones are definitely both keepers also!

yeah, they are both keepers for sure ! and those mullards i spoke of earlier, i have maybe 50?? hours or so on them, great treble, detail, not harsh though, and bright isn't the right word now either,
but i love the sound, hearing a cybal crash slowing fade, very cool ! great instrument separation, kinda 3d like

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #8,534 of 65,791
oh, in a dream i was having last night, and this wasn't really part of the main dream, was me kinda watching in real time on a computer, the ps500's being tracked, and the estimated delivery was going to be friday, hmmmmmm lol

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #8,535 of 65,791
k PS1000 is burning in more.

not as fatiguing, though still bright and harsh on tons of rock/metal.

acoustic and vocals and soft stuff like that sounds extremely good though. i really like how bass guitars sound with these headphones, so natural and clean sounding. however, any other type of bass and it sounds dry and rolled off. 

these are super detailed headphones, the details really come out of cause of the treble. 

im still not convinced they are worth the $1700 price tag though, and if the still are too bright for most music in the next few weeks, i'll have to return them and get an RS1i instead (or just keep using my beyerdynamic t1 which are far more balanced, and which i feel overall, outperform any grado i have heard)

but yeah these kinda sound like a better version of the SR325is (better bass, soundstage, etc, but still extremely similar sounding, the mids are neutral and tend to be more towards the fast, aggressive and lean sound, a little dryer than the other grados. so basically, just a little too crisp for me still. i do like the sound, but wish the treble was smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back