Grado Fan Club!
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #8,506 of 66,262
+ another.  325is > 500.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #8,507 of 66,262
Quote:
+1 here. This morning I listened with my PS500 again. I mean I really try to like them and I guess if they would be my only headphone I would be happy with them. But I find their midbass for most recordings to strong. Right now I am listening with my SR325i and compared to the PS500 they sound to my ears much more balanced. A bit more bass than my alessandro pro, which is nice. 
the mystery is how different we all perceive headphones. I guess it has something to do with the individual shape/organization of the outer and inner ear on the physiological side and on the way our hearing was trained during our personal history... but since there are so many headphone models around - there is something for everybody.

Quote:
+ another.  325is > 500.

The 325 with a good tube amp (little dot 1+) will rock your world... stock the PS500 fairs much better from something more analytical (o2)... HOWEVER that changes when you throw the G-cush on the PS500... works well with both! (close-ish to neutral with solid state and warm and musical with tubes)

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #8,508 of 66,262
listening to PS1000 right now, they sound more balanced now and the mids are coming out more. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #8,509 of 66,262
Quote:
listening to PS1000 right now, they sound more balanced now and the mids are coming out more. 

Cleaning the pads help accelerate break in lol

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #8,510 of 66,262
Quote:

the mystery is how different we all perceive headphones. I guess it has something to do with the individual shape/organization of the outer and inner ear on the physiological side and on the way our hearing was trained during our personal history... but since there are so many headphone models around - there is something for everybody.

+1

That might be the most intelligent post I have ever read regarding the difference in personal preference in audio, especially headphones. It also points to why I am biased toward Grado at the moment.  They're not so much the flavor of the moment for me as the flavor of the year, mostly due to the modification possible to tune the cans to my preference.

So far the cheapest audio tweak I have ever found, and the most effective, is a few inches of electrical tape wrapped around an ear cushion.  Much cheaper than a DAC or a new set of cans!

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #8,511 of 66,262
Quote:
+1

That might be the most intelligent post I have ever read regarding the difference in personal preference in audio, especially headphones. It also points to why I am biased toward Grado at the moment.  They're not so much the flavor of the moment for me as the flavor of the year, mostly due to the modification possible to tune the cans to my preference.

So far the cheapest audio tweak I have ever found, and the most effective, is a few inches of electrical tape wrapped around an ear cushion.  Much cheaper than a DAC or a new set of cans!

ad tape to the bowl of the sr225i, perfect !!

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #8,512 of 66,262
the ps1000s are sounding better now, but they're not warm in the mids like i thought they would be. they seem more bright even in the mids, they sound more similar to an SR 325is than any of the RS or SR series.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #8,513 of 66,262
It is my impression that the RS series are the only real 'warm' Grados. The HF-2 is also warmish

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,514 of 66,262
No, the PS1000 is not warm in the mids at all. very flat in the mids. And the peaks start around 4 to 5 kHz, I think. There’s no classic Grado bump at 2 kHz, which is  a reason it sounds different from typical ear pad Grados

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,515 of 66,262
Quote:
the ps1000s are sounding better now, but they're not warm in the mids like i thought they would be. they seem more bright even in the mids, they sound more similar to an SR 325is than any of the RS or SR series.

I can't remember, have you heard the PS500s or no? What about the GS1k? 

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #8,516 of 66,262

not PS500, i've heard GS1k, and i think those are slightly warmer, but the GS1k are dark and really bassy. ive heard basically every grado in production atm, except PS500 (though i have heard HF-2).

and yeah so far i like these, but definitely not warm. i think i'm gonna have to buy RS1i as well, since i want that rich warm intimate yet forward midrange.

PS1k seem more flat and lean, in ways similar to T1 and HD 800, but different. like i said, they sound much closer to the SR325is than other grados.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #8,517 of 66,262
Maybe the Alessandro Pro would be also an option. I have them in the modified version with the distancers and the G-cush and this is a really nice headphone. It is warmer than the SR325i that I have. It has  a bit less bass than the SR325i but not much and with the distancers + G cush there is more sound stage for a grado. But i have never heard the RS1 so I can't compare them. For me the Alessandor pro is my most versatile headphone.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #8,518 of 66,262
Quote:

not PS500, i've heard GS1k, and i think those are slightly warmer, but the GS1k are dark and really bassy. ive heard basically every grado in production atm, except PS500 (though i have heard HF-2).

and yeah so far i like these, but definitely not warm. i think i'm gonna have to buy RS1i as well, since i want that rich warm intimate yet forward midrange.

PS1k seem more flat and lean, in ways similar to T1 and HD 800, but different. like i said, they sound much closer to the SR325is than other grados.

My biggest fear about the PS1ks is that I really can't imagine liking them more than the 500s lol. I'm sort of strange in that I really like the on ear Grados better than the circumaural (I have the GS1k) and the 500s just tick all the boxes, as our English friends say. I'm going to have to really be sure to spend a lot of time auditioning the PS1ks and getting them burned in a bit like you're doing to give them a proper evaluation. 

One thing I saw you say the other day which I thought was very pertinent is that sometimes our best headphone isn't necessarily our favorite. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I ended up feeling exactly that way regarding the PS500 vs 1000s. The one thing I'm certain of, though, is that I love the way the GS1ks look, and that chrome on the PS1ks makes my mouth water even more...

This hobby sure is fun!!!!! haha

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #8,519 of 66,262
Quote:

One thing I saw you say the other day which I thought was very pertinent is that sometimes our best headphone isn't necessarily our favorite. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I ended up feeling exactly that way regarding the PS500 vs 1000s. The one thing I'm certain of, though, is that I love the way the GS1ks look, and that chrome on the PS1ks makes my mouth water even more...

This hobby sure is fun!!!!! haha

i can remember years ago on a hi fi day trip, i visited two shops, one specialized in big, american gear, cost no object type stuff
the other mostly britt gear, namely linn
listening to a system of all linn gear, i can't remember the price, but it was entry level, way under
10k i'm sure, i remember telling the salesman that earlier that day, i had heard some big huge mega system, consisting of wilson, levinson, audio research, etc, and i found this little linn system more fun to listen to, enjoying it more, connecting to the music more
i'm sure one measured better, built better(?), SHOULD have been better, but it was the linn that was fun
it could be psychological but who ares

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #8,520 of 66,262
Quote:

Thanks!  I think you just saved me $1700.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back