Grado Fan Club!
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #8,491 of 66,260
thanks, they're breaking in right now. only been playing them for like 2 hours. of course right now they sound kinda bad (like sr325is-ish)

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,492 of 66,260
Sorry to see that your PS1000 sound ''kinda bad'', i have loved the way mine sound from day one, and it seems that they're only getting better as time goes by.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #8,493 of 66,260
Quote:
thanks, they're breaking in right now. only been playing them for like 2 hours. of course right now they sound kinda bad (like sr325is-ish)

Nothing wrong with the SR325is, actually their awesome with the right amp (LD1+) and the right DAC (Modi), sorry to hear you spent all that money and they "sound kinda bad" (like SR325is-ish)...but I'm very impressed, especially for the price... and the same goes for my SR80i's.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #8,494 of 66,260
Depending on the types of headphones/speakers you’ve already listened to and enjoy, the PS1000 will either make you go “this is incredible” or “hmmm. not so much"

I’ve owned the PS1000 two times (I’m weird). First time was when I was just getting into the hobby seriously and had only heard the LCD2 and RS2 beforehand in the mid to high end bracket. I loved the PS1000, then. So exciting and with a bigger soundstage than other headphones.

But, a couple years later and after having owned some Stax, HD800 and more orthos, my second run with the PS1000 was less enjoyable. The treble peaks were more noticeable (and now piercing to my ears) and the overall sound no longer impressed to the same level

they sound exciting and are toe tapping but if anyone happens to be used to the sound from more “flat” reference level headphones, the PS1000s take on high end can be a little off-putting since it’s so V shaped in response. Takes some time to get used to it. You have to really want that Grado excitement in the sound to make it a full-time phone.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #8,495 of 66,260
Quote:
Depending on the types of headphones/speakers you’ve already listened to and enjoy, the PS1000 will either make you go “this is incredible” or “hmmm. not so much"

I’ve owned the PS1000 two times (I’m weird). First time was when I was just getting into the hobby seriously and had only heard the LCD2 and RS2 beforehand in the mid to high end bracket. I loved the PS1000, then. So exciting and with a bigger soundstage than other headphones.

But, a couple years later and after having owned some Stax, HD800 and more orthos, my second run with the PS1000 was less enjoyable. The treble peaks were more noticeable (and now piercing to my ears) and the overall sound no longer impressed to the same level

they sound exciting and are toe tapping but if anyone happens to be used to the sound from more “flat” reference level headphones, the PS1000s take on high end can be a little off-putting since it’s so V shaped in response. Takes some time to get used to it. You have to really want that Grado excitement in the sound to make it a full-time phone.

i think thats whats happening. though i can see burning taking some effect right now, slowly but hopefully they will be better again soon. cause the first time i compared to HD 800, HD 800 was bad compared to PS1000. but now i think the PS1000 might not be as good.

i like its grado sound, it still has it, but the mids seem a little more distant than i remember, the bass feels kinda dry and resonant, and the treble is kinda bright (this is slowly improving already). seems like a 325is with bowls atm. i think alot of it is the fit, trying to get them to the right fit for me, seems they're quite sensitive to how they're placed on your head. its not the V shape that bothers me, it just seems like they're lacking in some aspects.

of course, we'll have to see tomorrow after a night of burn-in, i know i've been unimpressed by other headphones in the past. (LCD-2 and HE-500 sounded horrible as did beyers and fostex when i first bought them).

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #8,496 of 66,260
Quote:

i think thats whats happening. though i can see burning taking some effect right now, slowly but hopefully they will be better again soon. cause the first time i compared to HD 800, HD 800 was bad compared to PS1000. but now i think the PS1000 might not be as good.

i like its grado sound, it still has it, but the mids seem a little more distant than i remember, the bass feels kinda dry and resonant, and the treble is kinda bright (this is slowly improving already). seems like a 325is with bowls atm. i think alot of it is the fit, trying to get them to the right fit for me, seems they're quite sensitive to how they're placed on your head. its not the V shape that bothers me, it just seems like they're lacking in some aspects.

of course, we'll have to see tomorrow after a night of burn-in, i know i've been unimpressed by other headphones in the past. (LCD-2 and HE-500 sounded horrible as did beyers and fostex when i first bought them).

You can save yourself all the time and heartbreak and just send them on down to me. I'll break them in for you and tell you all about how much anguish you have saved yourself.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #8,497 of 66,260
Quote:

When its on ur head push the cups into your ears, hold for a second... and release... it just might be the fresh pads/needs more clamping force...

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #8,499 of 66,260
Quote:
When its on ur head push the cups into your ears, hold for a second... and release... it just might be the fresh pads/needs more clamping force...

this might be it, i see the sound changes alot as i move the pads.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #8,500 of 66,260
Quote:
My two pairs of Grados. I really like the O2 with the SR80i.

Congratulations on the PS1000. I am so jealous right now.

thanks!

and lol is that a PS500 savings jar?

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8,501 of 66,260
Quote:

thanks!

and lol is that a PS500 savings jar?

Yes it is 
size]

I am not allowed to use any more paycheck money for headphones. At this rate, and with some help with the money I’ve gotten from the FS forums, I think I am going to save enough by December or February. 

EDIT: 100 posts 
size]

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #8,502 of 66,260
Quote:

this might be it, i see the sound changes alot as i move the pads.

I run G cushions on my ps500 and a few modded cans... when they are new they always sound goofy... a simple wash with your favorite shampoo to soften them and a headband adjustment and you should be in business! The other part is figuring out how far forward/back you need to position the cushions for the best sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #8,503 of 66,260
Quote:
I run G cushions on my ps500 and a few modded cans... when they are new they always sound goofy... a simple wash with your favorite shampoo to soften them and a headband adjustment and you should be in business! The other part is figuring out how far forward/back you need to position the cushions for the best sound.

oooh good idea, just washed them, will report back later!

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #8,504 of 66,260
Quote:
My two pairs of Grados. I really like the O2 with the SR80i.

Congratulations on the PS1000. I am so jealous right now.

LOL! You can get a lot of mileage out of those 80s while you're saving up your pennies :)  I still use mine all the time even though the 80s bigger brothers are around. 

YOu may want to get a litlte more "paper" in that jar...not sure the coins are going to cut it haha

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #8,505 of 66,260
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the SR325is, actually their awesome with the right amp (LD1+) and the right DAC (Modi), sorry to hear you spent all that money and they "sound kinda bad" (like SR325is-ish)...but I'm very impressed, especially for the price... and the same goes for my SR80i's.

+1 here. This morning I listened with my PS500 again. I mean I really try to like them and I guess if they would be my only headphone I would be happy with them. But I find their midbass for most recordings to strong. Right now I am listening with my SR325i and compared to the PS500 they sound to my ears much more balanced. A bit more bass than my alessandro pro, which is nice. 
the mystery is how different we all perceive headphones. I guess it has something to do with the individual shape/organization of the outer and inner ear on the physiological side and on the way our hearing was trained during our personal history... but since there are so many headphone models around - there is something for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back