Grado Fan Club!
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #61,966 of 65,787
I am afraid of trying the new braided cables. I have seen many complaints about them. A lot. I mean I will see what the fuss is about eventually. I may have a different opinion than the norm. It happens often.
Cable's fine but the original ones were better. New ones are extremely stiff. Like to have the 3000x in bed with my laptop on my stomach listening to music or watching YouTube and that blooming cable keeps sticking up getting in the way of the screen.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #61,967 of 65,787
The original GH2 I bought modded years ago had detachable cables. Didn't really like the sound so I sold them. The GH2 I have now are unmodded and sound great. Something must happen to the sound when you add detachable cables.
Or the earspeaker housing (Cocobolo wood cup) was internally damaged via the modification. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #61,968 of 65,787
I am afraid of trying the new braided cables. I have seen many complaints about them. A lot. I mean I will see what the fuss is about eventually. I may have a different opinion than the norm. It happens often.
See post #61,958.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #61,969 of 65,787
Nice work! When you solder these connectors does it matter what polarity?
Yes
The two blues( - )are split and the Red( + )together
One blue to the Sleeve the other blue to the ring and the reds to the tip connector
The two blues( - )are split and the whites( + )together
One blue to the Sleeve the other blue to the ring and the whites to the tip connector

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #61,970 of 65,787
It can rain and storm as much as it likes outside.
I’m loving the Rosewoods off of the SR35.👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #61,971 of 65,787
My HF3 have the braided cable, and I don't mind it at all. I like the idea of the techflex braiding keeping the cups from spinning too far. GH2s have non-braided, and have some permanent kinks in them.

Grado would appeal more broadly to buyers with detachable cables, thicker headbands, higher quality gimbals/rodblocks. So if they're not doing so, there must be a good reason.

The cost of tooling changes for a small boutique manufacturer could be exorbitant. Having a small staff means repairs/replacement need to be as efficient as possible. Cables may have some impact on sound - my SR325 seemed to get a bit of an upgrade in bass with a cable change to a 325is cable.

And Grado can proudly proclaim that they're still making changes or improvements in their models while extremely rarely changing the retail price.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #61,972 of 65,787
My HF3 have the braided cable, and I don't mind it at all. I like the idea of the techflex braiding keeping the cups from spinning too far. GH2s have non-braided, and have some permanent kinks in them.

Grado would appeal more broadly to buyers with detachable cables, thicker headbands, higher quality gimbals/rodblocks. So if they're not doing so, there must be a good reason.

The cost of tooling changes for a small boutique manufacturer could be exorbitant. Having a small staff means repairs/replacement need to be as efficient as possible. Cables may have some impact on sound - my SR325 seemed to get a bit of an upgrade in bass with a cable change to a 325is cable.

And Grado can proudly proclaim that they're still making changes or improvements in their models while extremely rarely changing the retail price.
This... I dislike the braided cable, but my GS1000 and SR60e both have kinks in the cable which are mildly worrying.

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #61,973 of 65,787
Yes
One blue to the Sleeve the other blue to the ring and the reds to the tip connector
One blue to the Sleeve the other blue to the ring and the whites to the tip connector
So you can use cables of the T1 or some of the Hifimans?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #61,974 of 65,787
I’m actually thinking of getting the 80x so long as f pads sound good on them. I find the flat s Cush is not my cup of tea. The lighter cable is my main reason for considering as I am sick of the heavier cable on my hemps dragging down on my headphones in my rocking chair. All I am doing is listening to is classical music which sounds damn good on its own. You don’t need to have the highest end set to get a lot out of this music.

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #61,975 of 65,787
Yes
Why blue cables need to split?

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #61,977 of 65,787
Any new Grados on the horizont? Someone know something?
Nothing on the horizon that has been mentioned out loud. John is always looking forward for the next up . I would think that the x Series has lots more good mileage and life left and it has been very popular. As John seeks out the next approach to performance. The PS2000e was designed & done over the course of almost two years.

Attachments

• IMG_8131.jpeg
    IMG_8131.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #61,979 of 65,787
Ahh another thing.. I read on here a few days ago that iOS only uses aac. Which is simply not true for nearly two years.. Apple has introduced lossless and 24-bit/192 mode on all of their music in Apple Music. There are also many other apps that can pull off lossless and high-res using iOS. Though I do think really even aac is good enough and very good sounding. If you want to kick it up a little notch then try lossless on iOS. You may like it if you have the bandwidth and a proper data cap.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #61,980 of 65,787
Apple only use AAC non lossless for Bluetooth earphones. Yes the sound is perfectly acceptable but we have other brands doing Aptx Adaptive and in a year or two, snapdragon sound hi res will be very prevalent in the android community. The GT220 sound much better with an aptx connection rather than aac. They get louder too with Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back