Grado Fan Club!
Aug 5, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #61,951 of 66,259
Probably never. If you watch Steve Guttenberg touring the Grado HQ on YouTube, they're still using old machinery dating back 50 years. To create detachable cables, as little a thing as it sounds would mean them having to spend money reorganising their setup. New dies for the molding machines and new pieces of metal for the detachable cable mechanisms in the headphone. As long as we all spend money on them (and most here on this forum have spent a lot on Grados) there's no reason to change unless customers really do get sick of the wires and they take a massive dip in sales but I can't see that happening because the sound is great!

Guttenberg also said that John Grado thinks of the headphones and the cables as a unit, that's how they are tuned.

I've said it before: i personally am thankful not to be tempted to try different cables with each headphone.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #61,952 of 66,259
The original GH2 I bought modded years ago had detachable cables. Didn't really like the sound so I sold them. The GH2 I have now are unmodded and sound great. Something must happen to the sound when you add detachable cables.

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #61,953 of 66,259
The original GH2 I bought modded years ago had detachable cables. Didn't really like the sound so I sold them. The GH2 I have now are unmodded and sound great. Something must happen to the sound when you add detachable cables.
Probably depends on the cable. They all sound a little different.

The way i see it, the Grados have their drivers of different qualities and their cables and then tune the future headphone by use of wood, plastic and metal.

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #61,954 of 66,259
Guttenberg also said that John Grado thinks of the headphones and the cables as a unit, that's how they are tuned.

I've said it before: i personally am thankful not to be tempted to try different cables with each headphone.
I wouldn’t mind the fixed cable if it wasn’t so heavy. There has got to be a lighter sheathing they could use.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #61,955 of 66,259
I wouldn’t mind the fixed cable if it wasn’t so heavy. There has got to be a lighter sheathing they could use.
For the first several weeks, with RS1x for example, I kneaded and twisted back and forth the cable braid … for a minute or so before use … the cable did become more flexible if not lighter … patience

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #61,957 of 66,259
Gotta say, I love my old school upbraided grado cable.

Does a great job and aesthetically in-line with the other parts of the headphone.

Y'all wrong.

There, said it.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #61,958 of 66,259
Aug 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #61,959 of 66,259
I love grados but hate the cable
so now I have the choice
IMG_4040.jpg

I cut the cable put 3.5mm sockets on then I put 3.5 jack on the detached cable.
Now I can switch between original cable and Balanced
Must admit I don't use the original cable often

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #61,960 of 66,259
Any new Grados on the horizont? Someone know something?

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #61,961 of 66,259
I love grados but hate the cable
so now I have the choice
IMG_4040.jpg
I cut the cable put 3.5mm sockets on then I put 3.5 jack on the detached cable.
Now I can switch between original cable and Balanced
Must admit I don't use the original cable often
Nice work! When you solder these connectors does it matter what polarity?

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #61,962 of 66,259
Any new Grados on the horizont? Someone know something?
I've got the feeling they're winding down production on a lot. Can't buy any gr10e, gr8e, ige3, gt220. PS series has been discontinued completely. Everything on their official UK online store is out of stock. A lot of UK retailers don't appear to restocking much of their stuff.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #61,964 of 66,259
I am afraid of trying the new braided cables. I have seen many complaints about them. A lot. I mean I will see what the fuss is about eventually. I may have a different opinion than the norm. It happens often.
Cable's fine but the original ones were better. New ones are extremely stiff. Like to have the 3000x in bed with my laptop on my stomach listening to music or watching YouTube and that blooming cable keeps sticking up getting in the way of the screen.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #61,965 of 66,259
Or the earspeaker housing (Cocobolo wood cup) was internally damaged via the modification. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back