Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #58,411 of 65,799
RS2x came yesterday, just quick testing so story about soundquality later then. What i can say now is that there sure is differences to Hemp.

73DDE9D9-A1E7-4263-93B2-C05774147375.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #58,412 of 65,799
• I will ask a question different from that on post #58,408.
• “Do these fellows look as though detachable headphone cables are important?….”C9115C44-0CF9-4D7A-93A7-E816E9C56330.jpeg
No - they do not look concerned about headphone cables. They look like it's more important to hide out in a low-ceiling, dark, crummy basement. Maybe because they DON'T care about headphone cables.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #58,413 of 65,799
Oh, but they DO care about headphone cables… so much that they hard wire them on, make them so thick that no after-market cable would come close, and permanently affix the jack so that no one will presume to even change to a Neutronix or other lesser type. They are all thinking “Our Cables ARE NOT to be Messed With by Lesser Beings!”

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #58,414 of 65,799
I think it's safe to say that all i need is much, much music from now on. :smile_phones:

Grados.jpg

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #58,415 of 65,799
Have had my RS-2x for about 2 months now. Absolutely fantastic headphones.

Previously owned HF-1s and HF-2s but sold them - wasnt listening to enough music that complimented them

Havent bought many headphones in a long time. Pretty much disappeared from here after I got my 1st edition Beyer T1s, and I recently got them balanced to use with my SPL amp. Got the itch to hear something different having a fairly high end vinyl setup now.

Read this thread for a few months and decided the RS-2x were high end enough for me and there were a lot of positive comments about the bass. What has surprised me is how much I've enjoyed them with other music outside of rock. They sound extremely good with electronic music, especially very fast percussion. I also have a shelf filter on my mixer that I can boost bass +2dB if I want a little more (also use this with my T1s). Really fast with lots of slam!

These are absolute keepers and have had me going through my entire music collection like a madman. I do have 1 minor complaint: the cable. I consider 10ft/3m to be the minimum needed for high end phones. The cable is also stiffer than the old Grado cables and puts too much stress on a 1/8" connector (and unfortunately I have to send them in because I'm getting an intermittant connection from my jack). They also don't have an option to replace it with a 1/4" jack!? I appreciate ithat they are easy to drive and work in small portable sources, but Im mostly using a "Reference Series" on my home stereo. Do they only put 1/8" jacks on the 1000s/3000s? Don't understand it but I guess I'll have to suck it up until the warranty is up.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #58,416 of 65,799
I had started out on this audio journey with the Grado SR80x as the first headphone that really got me into this rabbit hole a few years ago. The tuning and sound was unlike anything I had heard, and one of the headphones that really made me listen to my music collection all over again in a new light. Of course, being new at the time, and being a poor person, I sold my SR80x to fund for different gear. As I'm kind of done now chasing "moar betterer" in gear and slowly exiting the hobby, I've kind of come full circle. One of my very recent and probably last purchase for a good long while - the SR325 - and I have to say it is a pretty complete sound at this level compared to what I remembered the 80x to be. Grado has such a unique tuning that is hard for me to explain, but definitely delivers something special in my book.

grado325_wa2.jpg

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #58,417 of 65,799
GW100x arrived today, just past midnight and finally getting to give them a listen, Can - Live in Cuxhaven 1976 is first up :)

Edit: They sound damn good! Different to my v2’s, if anything a little less bassy with some more detail. Will have to A/B them.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #58,419 of 65,799
…and tubes 😜💡
Not for me, to me amp has to be ”invisible”, at the moment. I do understand those who use tubes though. :)
But never say never..

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #58,420 of 65,799
Not for me, to me amp has to be ”invisible”, at the moment. I do understand those who use tubes though. :)
But never say never..

I’d be so bold as to suggest that if anyone enjoys the Grado house sound vs all the other headphones on the market —> they are the perfect candidate(s) to learn and experiment with tubes

Think of it less about “coloring” the music and more about adding “heft” and dimension to the sound stage

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #58,421 of 65,799
GW100x arrived today, just past midnight and finally getting to give them a listen, Can - Live in Cuxhaven 1976 is first up :)

Edit: They sound damn good! Different to my v2’s, if anything a little less bassy with some more detail. Will have to A/B them.
Great to Hear! I am really loving the sound signature on the GW100X. Instruments really sound as they do when heard live. Whether that may be acoustic or amped instruments. The Grado line makes the pre recorded atmosphere disappear and i am transported to the actual recording venue. Very highly recommended

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #58,422 of 65,799
I´m absolutely gutted. I really don't understand how there are authorized Dealers all over the world that will make the "bridge" between you and Grado if repair is needed under warranty but once it is over, you will be "left" on your own and have to send it to Brooklyn yourself, being exposed to Customs both ways, which usually implies, according to my experience, time, pain and a lot of taxes/fees.

For someone not living in the US, like myself, this could be a real problem and it is putting me off from buying other Grados, besides the Hemp I already own. Especially expensive ones! Either I'm willing to get some "old" inexpensive ones and when they "die", they go to the bin or I will stick to brands that are within my Continent or at least have repair centers within.

Iam curious to know how those of you that live in another Continent do? Especially if they have ever needed to repair any unit, out of warranty.

Please share your experience. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #58,423 of 65,799
I´m absolutely gutted. I really don't understand how there are authorized Dealers all over the world that will make the "bridge" between you and Grado if repair is needed under warranty but once it is over, you will be "left" on your own and have to send it to Brooklyn yourself, being exposed to Customs both ways, which usually implies, according to my experience, time, pain and a lot of taxes/fees.

For someone not living in the US, like myself, this could be a real problem and it is putting me off from buying other Grados, besides the Hemp I already own. Especially expensive ones! Either I'm willing to get some "old" inexpensive ones and when they "die", they go to the bin or I will stick to brands that are within my Continent or at least have repair centers within.

Iam curious to know how those of you that live in another Continent do? Especially if they have ever needed to repair any unit, out of warranty.

Please share your experience. Thank you.

You seem to be frustrated by an industry standard scenario - having not much to do with Grado …

By way of example, I’ve owned products from Burson (Australia) that were under warranty and needed repair. Even under warranty and without dealer involved I’ve shipped to Australia to get the process underway.

It’s annoying - but to be expected if you purchase product from OEM that is overseas. Especially, if out of warranty.

If you’ve not dealt with the shipping before and have a good relationship with dealer - perhaps they can kindly help you and ship on your behalf if you fund the process ??

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #58,424 of 65,799
You seem to be frustrated by an industry standard scenario - having not much to do with Grado …

By way of example, I’ve owned products from Burson (Australia) that were under warranty and needed repair. Even under warranty and without dealer involved I’ve shipped to Australia to get the process underway.

It’s annoying - but to be expected if you purchase product from OEM that is overseas. Especially, if out of warranty.

If you’ve not dealt with the shipping before and have a good relationship with dealer - perhaps they can kindly help you and ship on your behalf if you fund the process ??
Yes, sure. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that this was something related to just Grado, it is not of course. Many bigger Companies also don't have repair centers in other continents, let alone small family businesses like this one. Some countries may have better working Customs than mine which is a nightmare to deal with in so many different layers!

I have asked a few dealers, but the answer is the same every time, which is normal since I'm not a huge spender, especially within one place alone.

I´m just frustrated because I like these Cans! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: In all honestly I was aiming for a second pair of Grados but now I'm looking more into something like a Meze 109 Pro (European brand) which may be also a good unit for the money but I'm not as excited to get as if it was a Grado:sweat:

I had plans in the future for a GS3000X, a RX1or RX2, a PS500e if I could find it used... but not anymore, at least for now.

There could also be someone in Europe who knows how to deal with Grados. Does anyone know of such a thing? Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #58,425 of 65,799
Yes, sure. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that this was something related to just Grado, it is not of course. Many bigger Companies also don't have repair centers in other continents, let alone small family businesses like this one. Some countries may have better working Customs than mine which is a nightmare to deal with in so many different layers!

I have asked a few dealers, but the answer is the same every time, which is normal since I'm not a huge spender, especially within one place alone.

I´m just frustrated because I like these Cans! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: In all honestly I was aiming for a second pair of Grados but now I'm looking more into something like a Meze 109 Pro (European brand) which may be also a good unit for the money but I'm not as excited to get as if it was a Grado:sweat:

I had plans in the future for a GS3000X, a RX1or RX2, a PS500e if I could find it used... but not anymore, at least for now.

There could also be someone in Europe who knows how to deal with Grados. Does anyone know of such a thing? Cheers.

No need to apologize - we’ve all been there! It IS frustrating -

Just don’t get discouraged … try and work through a local solution / process so you can stick with Grado. It might not be easy - but it is doable once you sort it out.

FWIW —> all of our chains are constantly needing “tweaks” and/or repairs …. I’ve PMed folks on here many a time upset that something was not working or baffling me 😎

That’s what we’re here for.

I bet someone where you live already has a process for this with a dealer and will jump in soon and shoot you a dealer name that can help with shipping. Etc

Don’t give up 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back