Grado Fan Club!
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #58,396 of 66,264
Same. I also don't notice much difference between any of my various playback devices when controlling for volume. But this is one of those topics that can start a rockfight so I'll turn it over to jonathan c to post one of his beautiful amp pics.
I did reply to @metalmilitia16 ’s post with what I hope makes sense. You are allowed to read it. Until then, 😉 this one’s for you:
3F73EBC2-B40D-404D-9058-717A3693002E.jpeg
[A great combination: tubes are NOS Mullard E88CC. To the right is LPS-36.]

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #58,397 of 66,264
Grados are very sensitives yes. My experiences shows that amplification matters though. But as a note, i have experience just Hemps. No other Grados.
There's difference in sound with my Hemps even when i choose Hi-power mode from my RME, instead low-power mode.

I started with Apple Dongle, then i had Violectic Chronos. Now i use RME ADI-2 DAC fs.
The sound is different between all three of them, though Hemps sounded very good even with Apple dongle.
Differences aren't Massive, but they are there. Everyone's own preferences then determine whether or not to give them how much weight.

In my case there was different dac's also though, they give own spices too.

Grados are great headphones also because you can drive them with almost anything, but with better electronics they sound even better.
As any headphones do.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #58,398 of 66,264
I did reply to @metalmilitia16 ’s post with what I hope makes sense. You are allowed to read it. Until then, 😉 this one’s for you: [A great combination: tubes are NOS Mullard E88CC. To the right is LPS-36.]
Well played sir. 😜

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #58,399 of 66,264
Grados are very sensitives yes. My experiences shows that amplification matters though. But as a note, i have experience just Hemps. No other Grados.
There's difference in sound with my Hemps even when i choose Hi-power mode from my RME, instead low-power mode.

I started with Apple Dongle, then i had Violectic Chronos. Now i use RME ADI-2 DAC fs.
The sound is different between all three of them, though Hemps sounded very good even with Apple dongle.
Differences aren't Massive, but they are there. Everyone's own preferences then determine whether or not to give them how much weight.

In my case there was different dac's also though, they give own spices too.

Grados are great headphones also because you can drive them with almost anything, but with better electronics they sound even better.
As any headphones do.

I have been debating if I should buy a portable amp/dac for the Hemps when I listen on my phone. I just use a Belkin 3.5mm jack adapter and I'm surprised by how good it sounds. No hissing at all either and my max volume I listen at is usually like 70 or so. I just don't know how much something like a Go Blu, Hip Dac, or a Qudelix would really help the Hemps compared to what I use now since they're easy to drive and since I don't have an issue with hissing sounds or volume. Makes me think there won't be a noticeable difference and not worth it. I've read some people not noticing a difference using a portable amp/dac vs just using a simple headphone jack adapter with their Grado's when they listen on their phone, but they were a different model than the Hemps. Can't imagine it would be too different though. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #58,400 of 66,264
I have been debating if I should buy a portable amp/dac for the Hemps when I listen on my phone. I just use a Belkin 3.5mm jack adapter and I'm surprised by how good it sounds. No hissing at all either and my max volume I listen at is usually like 70 or so. I just don't know how much something like a Go Blu, Hip Dac, or a Qudelix would really help the Hemps compared to what I use now since they're easy to drive and since I don't have an issue with hissing sounds or volume. Makes me think there won't be a noticeable difference and not worth it. I've read some people not noticing a difference using a portable amp/dac vs just using a simple headphone jack adapter with their Grado's when they listen on their phone, but they were a different model than the Hemps. Can't imagine it would be too different though. Any thoughts?
I can only speak to the Go Blu or some of the BTR's. Personally speaking, I don't think you would hear much of sonic difference from the Belkin. There are other portable alternatives that would be much better, but at substantially more $$. Of course, YMMV.

Leo

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #58,401 of 66,264
If you are satisfied now, just keep enjoying music.:)

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #58,403 of 66,264
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #58,404 of 66,264
I tried to sell my Hemps for a bit. When they didn't sell in short order I decided to hang on to them and order the Dekoni Fenstrated Grado pads (along with fenestrated sheepskin Focals). Got them in recently, but I am just starting to feel better so it is time to tinker. I have attached a pic with stock pads, Shipibo pads and Dekoni pads. I am currently going through my testing list and will do that three times. And then just wander a bit. :gs1000smile:

20230117_153255.jpg

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #58,405 of 66,264
Jan 17, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #58,406 of 66,264
I have to say that I was enjoying my Hemp/Dekoni combo today. They are similar to the Beautiful Audio pads and almost as expensive. They are stiffer though.
The subject requires much more investigation. :smile:20230117_200630~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #58,407 of 66,264
• I will ask a question different from that on post #58,408.
• “Do these fellows look as though detachable headphone cables are important?….”
C9115C44-0CF9-4D7A-93A7-E816E9C56330.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #58,408 of 66,264
• “Do these fellows look like detachable headphone cables are important?….”
Would not want to stop in and ask, or for that matter meet the three of them on a dark corner in Brooklyn. I love those guys! I admire all of the Grado's involved in the business. Good people in my opinion and good old fashioned service. Excellent Company/!

Leo

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #58,409 of 66,264
RS2x came yesterday, just quick testing so story about soundquality later then. What i can say now is that there sure is differences to Hemp.

73DDE9D9-A1E7-4263-93B2-C05774147375.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #58,410 of 66,264
• “Do these fellows look as though detachable headphone cables are important?….”C9115C44-0CF9-4D7A-93A7-E816E9C56330.jpeg
No - they do not look concerned about headphone cables. They look like it's more important to hide out in a low-ceiling, dark, crummy basement. Maybe because they DON'T care about headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back