Grado Fan Club!
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #58,381 of 66,264
Hi, I was using my grado rs2e headphone with audioquest draganlfy cobalt, I bought a hifiman ef400 amp and when I used grado with ef400, I couldn't feel much difference compared to dragonfly. do you think this is normal? Could it be bad match hifiman ef 400 with grado, because of ef400's output impedances are high?

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #58,382 of 66,264
Hi, I was using my grado rs2e headphone with audioquest draganlfy cobalt, I bought a hifiman ef400 amp and when I used grado with ef400, I couldn't feel much difference compared to dragonfly. do you think this is normal? Could it be bad match hifiman ef 400 with grado, because of ef400's output impedances are high?
Same. I also don't notice much difference between any of my various playback devices when controlling for volume. But this is one of those topics that can start a rockfight so I'll turn it over to jonathan c to post one of his beautiful amp pics.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #58,383 of 66,264
RS2e with Cobalt sounded always a little thin to me. With the Mojo 2 however it is a whole other game, highly recommended!

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #58,384 of 66,264
Moon Audio offers some options. I'm considering a new cable for my RS1x due to the stiffness. Please let us know if you find someone on this forum who can do the mod. Moon is probably the most expensive option in the US.

https://www.moon-audio.com/hack-your-headphones/grado
Thanks!

Moon Audio will only replaced the fixed headphone cable with their own headphone cable (not as bad as grado’s but still rather stiff as well) - I’m looking for a mod to make the cable detachable…

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #58,385 of 66,264
I still love my 325e, but reports of punchier bass and smoother treble appeal to me (I also hoped for a more natural timbre), so this week I bought a new pair of 325x (because I wasn’t sure I was ready to climb the ladder to the RS2x or RS1x). I listened to the 325x for about 15 hours, and have to say I was mightily disappointed.

Gone was the crispness and sense of detail that I love about the e’s. Gone was the soundstage. Yes, there was more bass, but it was boomy and muddied up the entire sound. All I could think while listening to them was how much I hated them. ... Am I missing something here? I’m tempted to have Amazon send me the RS2x or even the RS1x so I can take a couple weeks to decide if I want to keep them. But I have to say, my experience with the x series so far has me thinking it might be time to move on.
You're not alone. There are a few of us who consider the x-series to be a sonic downgrade from the e-series. See this SR225 e vs. x review here or my x-series review earlier in this thread here. Obviously there are many here who love their x-series headphones, so it's personal preference. But for your needs, if you're looking for an upgrade from the SR325e you're going to have to look at another e-series, or perhaps be on the hunt for something like a used PS500 non-e/GH2/GS1000i. Or see if you can still find a new GH4 before it's too late.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #58,386 of 66,264
You're not alone. There are a few of us who consider the x-series to be a sonic downgrade from the e-series. See this SR225 e vs. x review here or my x-series review earlier in this thread here. Obviously there are many here who love their x-series headphones, so it's personal preference. But for your needs, if you're looking for an upgrade from the SR325e you're going to have to look at another e-series, or perhaps be on the hunt for something like a used PS500 non-e/GH2/GS1000i. Or see if you can still find a new GH4 before it's too late.
It sounds like you think I’ll be disappointed by the RS1x too. Interesting. And thank you for the links.

Update: I just read your reviews. Your assessment of the 225e vs. 225x is exactly my reaction to the 325’s. Maybe I’m being silly, and since I like the 325e so much I should just stick with them and not worry about getting something new. One of my concerns is long-term durability, but I guess I can always send them to Grado for a quick repair (or take them there myself if they will let me - I live in New York City).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #58,387 of 66,264
It sounds like you think I’ll be disappointed by the RS1x too. Interesting. And thank you for the links.

Update: I just read your reviews. Your assessment of the 225e vs. 225x is exactly my reaction to the 325’s. Maybe I’m being silly, and since I like the 325e so much I should just stick with them and not worry about getting something new. One of my concerns is long-term durability, but I guess I can always send them to Grado for a quick repair (or take them there myself if they will let me - I live in New York City).

Thanks again.
Any shops around you where you can do a lengthly listening session?

Might be worth trying out an RS1X, if you could. Maybe an hour with your favourite playlist?

Jan 16, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #58,388 of 66,264
Any shops around you where you can do a lengthly listening session?

Might be worth trying out an RS1X, if you could. Maybe an hour with your favourite playlist?
Yes, but it’s not an atmosphere very conducive to quiet listening. If I decide to try them I’ll get them from Amazon which is basically a 30-day trial. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #58,389 of 66,264
I’ve been in the hobby since 2002 and have had a plethora of different cans come and go through rotation. Surprisingly I never could get into Grados in the past but more recently they have risen to the top of my collection and have been getting exclusive head time. Definitely a Grado convert 🙂
6E1731A9-E57F-49EC-84DE-C5C1BC1BD159.jpeg

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #58,390 of 66,264
Moon Audio offers some options. I'm considering a new cable for my RS1x due to the stiffness. Please let us know if you find someone on this forum who can do the mod. Moon is probably the most expensive option in the US.

https://www.moon-audio.com/hack-your-headphones/grado
I've used moon audio to mod my RS1e to detachable cables. Went very well. However, I purchased their Silver Dragon cable as part of the process. That being said, I found them very sonically better than the stock cables, but they were not ergonomic in my option. Very stiff and unrewarding. I swapped them for the Custom Cans Braded Cables.

Leo

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #58,391 of 66,264
Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm a new owner of a GS 3000x

I want to look into getting a detachable cable mod (I dislike fixed cable on any headphones and this one is rather stiff)

Would anyone be able to recommend someone who does this well?

thanks so much!🙏🙂.

Maybe ask in the Grado mod thread?

Custom cans would do it but there based in the UK.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #58,392 of 66,264
Maybe ask in the Grado mod thread?

Custom cans would do it but there based in the UK.
thanks!
yes just reached out to Custom Cans, hope they reply. a journey from NYC but definitely looking for options..
haven't found a grado mod thread here, if I missed it would be happy to get a link for it - thanks again 🙏

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #58,395 of 66,264
There may be two factors at play here. First, because the dragonfly & EF400 are USB input devices, the USB cable itself may be a limitation. Second, Grado headphones are very efficient; that is, little power is required to achieve high volume. Typically, the nominal sensitivity for Grado headphones is between 96 dB/mw and 100 dB/mw. The efficiency itself may be making sonic differences hard to stand out or to be perceived.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back