Grado Fan Club!
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #41,821 of 65,553
Anything will work...EXCEPT Grado G pads. Stay away from those since they destroy the sound signature.

I've heard that TTVJ Deluxe Flats work best. I tried normal TTVJ flats and I prefer L pads (with covers, otherwise I get itchy ears).

Some time ago I measured the frequency response of RS2e using various pads:
- GREEN - original (small) RS2e pads
- ORANGE - original Grado GS1000e pads
- BLUE - replacement GS1000/GS1000i pads

CavFQp8.png

So there's a large difference in bass response between the kinds of G pads. The replacement pads for the old GS1000 version are much more bassy. The difference in shape - "e" pads on the left and "i" on the right:

pady.jpg

As for the subjective impressions, I found the GS1000i pads far too bassy, but the "e" pads gave an interesting presentation. The soundstage is larger and deeper, the instruments are more three-dimensional. Something is lost as the midrange is a bit muffled (this is visible in the graph in the 2-4kHz range) and the sound is not as dynamic. In total I preferred the original small RS2e pads, but I think the GS1000e pads provide an interesting alternative presentation suitable for calmer/slower music.

EDIT. I'm now listening to RS2e + GS1000e pads and it sounds great to me. I don't hear the midrange as muffled, more as just "dark", the overall clarity is great, the dynamic range is high. This time it sounds better to me than the original small pads (mainly because the soundstage is much larger and "airy"). So while the original GS1000e pads are a bit pricey, they might be worth trying.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #41,822 of 65,553
Some time ago I measured the frequency response of RS2e using various pads:
- GREEN - original (small) RS2e pads
- ORANGE - original Grado GS1000e pads
- BLUE - replacement GS1000/GS1000i pads

CavFQp8.png

So there's a large difference in bass response between the kinds of G pads. The replacement pads for the old GS1000 version are much more bassy. The difference in shape - "e" pads on the left and "i" on the right:

pady.jpg

As for the subjective impressions, I found the GS1000i pads far too bassy, but the "e" pads gave an interesting presentation. The soundstage is larger and deeper, the instruments are more three-dimensional. Something is lost as the midrange is a bit muffled (this is visible in the graph in the 2-4kHz range) and the sound is not as dynamic. In total I preferred the original small RS2e pads, but I think the GS1000e pads provide an interesting alternative presentation suitable for calmer/slower music.

EDIT. I'm now listening to RS2e + GS1000e pads and it sounds great to me. I don't hear the midrange as muffled, more as just "dark", the overall clarity is great, the dynamic range is high. This time it sounds better to me than the original small pads (mainly because the soundstage is much larger and "airy"). So while the original GS1000e pads are a bit pricey, they might be worth trying.
by replacement, do you mean knock off g-pad? because the right one looks like a knock off g-pad. i don't remember grado released a different kind of g-pad

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #41,823 of 65,553
by replacement, do you mean knock off g-pad? because the right one looks like a knock off g-pad. i don't remember grado released a different kind of g-pad

Yes, the one on the right is a knock-off pad. But I though it replicates the shape of the original old GS1000 pads. Probably it's hard to say definitely now as no original GS1000 pads might exist now (they deteriorate after a few years, even if not used), but by looking at some photos from the reviews of the oldest GS1000 version like https://sm.pcmag.com/t/pcmag_uk/review/g/grado-gs10/grado-gs1000_bwa1.1280.jpg I see a shape more similar to the pad on the right (i.e. there's a few-mm long "tube" that is perpendicular to the transducer).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #41,824 of 65,553
Probably it's hard to say definitely now as no original GS1000 pads might exist now (they deteriorate after a few years, even if not used)

As far as I know Grado has not changed the G pads.

What I heard when using those pads is quite the opposite of what you describe -- the bass was sucked out and what was left sounded distant and unrefined (the highs also took a hit for the worse).

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #41,825 of 65,553
Yes, the one on the right is a knock-off pad. But I though it replicates the shape of the original old GS1000 pads. Probably it's hard to say definitely now as no original GS1000 pads might exist now (they deteriorate after a few years, even if not used), but by looking at some photos from the reviews of the oldest GS1000 version like https://sm.pcmag.com/t/pcmag_uk/review/g/grado-gs10/grado-gs1000_bwa1.1280.jpg I see a shape more similar to the pad on the right (i.e. there's a few-mm long "tube" that is perpendicular to the transducer).
ahhh ok. in that case, as far as i know since grado released the original gs1000 they still using the same g-pad design through out all gs/ps models to this date, unless i'm unaware of subtle design updates from grado. the g-pad have some kind of triple stages/shapes on the bowl parts while the knock off pretty much just single stage/shape

yes they are notorious to deteriorate, especially when not used for a very long time, you should put the g-pad on airlock bag when you're not gonna use grado for few months, from my experience the longest i could manage grado pad is 6 years but i do however still have the original s-pad when i bought sr60 back in 2006, and i did put those pads in airlock bag, to my surprised it's still ad good as the first i bought sr60, 14 years, not bad :D

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #41,826 of 65,553
What I heard when using those pads is quite the opposite of what you describe -- the bass was sucked out and what was left sounded distant and unrefined (the highs also took a hit for the worse).

Do you mean you tried RS2e + GS1000e pads and you got this experience? This is weird, it sounds good to me, and my measurements also look quite good (like there are no obvious peaks or a bass/highs cut-off).

If you tried some knock-off pads then it would provide some explanation, as they can differ quite a lot between specific versions (I have two kinds of GS1000 pads knock-offs and e.g. the bass is 3dB louder on one of those). Also if you mixed e.g. "i" headphones with "e" pads than it would explain it. My current understanding is that the first series + "i" series G pads differ quite significantly from the "e" pads, the old pads have this a few-mm long "tube". The older series headphones have transducers producing a smaller bass and need more help from pads in this area. So if you mix an old series headphones (small bass) with a new "e" G pad (small bass) you'll get small bass as the effect.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #41,827 of 65,553
Do you mean you tried RS2e + GS1000e pads and you got this experience? This is weird, it sounds good to me, and my measurements also look quite good (like there are no obvious peaks or a bass/highs cut-off).

I tried my RS2e with Grado (sold by Grado) g-pads (which I think you are calling GS1000i pads). I have never owned any knock off g-pads (aftermarket pads, which you are calling GS1000e pads ).

There is no such thing as GS1000e pads. The current GS1000e models come with the same pads as the GS1000i (at least they have the same shape...I don't know if the composition of the pads has changed).

Maybe @ruthieandjohn can let us know if there were some changes made to the g-pads when they released the "e" models.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #41,828 of 65,553
I tried my RS2e with Grado (sold by Grado) g-pads (which I think you are calling GS1000i pads). I have never owned any knock off g-pads (aftermarket pads, which you are calling GS1000e pads ).

No, what I'm calling "GS1000e pads" are original pads made by Grado described as fitting GS1000e :). These are on the left of my photo. On the right are aftermarket pads made in China described as fitting GS1000/GS1000i.

There is no such thing as GS1000e pads. The current GS1000e models come with the same pads as the GS1000i (at least they have the same shape...I don't know if the composition of the pads has changed).

I'm not an "expert Grado fan" as I e.g. didn't buy new GS1000/GS1000i (so I could see how the original pads look like), but from my other experiences and what you write it looks like:
- the GS1000 (oldest series) pads were different, they had this "tube" near the transducer, of length of about 10-12mm
- the GS1000i/GS10000e pads have the same shape, they have no/minimal "tube" (length of about 2-3mm), also the shape is a bit different

I'm also wondering about PS2000e/GS3000e, I heard someone describing their pads as very thick, are they really the same as GS1000e's?

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #41,829 of 65,553
No, what I'm calling "GS1000e pads" are original pads made by Grado described as fitting GS1000e :). These are on the left of my photo. On the right are aftermarket pads made in China described as fitting GS1000/GS1000i.

I'm not an "expert Grado fan" as I e.g. didn't buy new GS1000/GS1000i (so I could see how the original pads look like), but from my other experiences and what you write it looks like:
- the GS1000 (oldest series) pads were different, they had this "tube" near the transducer, of length of about 10-12mm
- the GS1000i/GS10000e pads have the same shape, they have no/minimal "tube" (length of about 2-3mm), also the shape is a bit different

I'm also wondering about PS2000e/GS3000e, I heard someone describing their pads as very thick, are they really the same as GS1000e's?

LOL. Talk about confusion. The pads on the left are the GS1000i pads...which are also the GS1000e pads...which are also Grado g-pads.

I am not aware of any changes to those pads. The ones I tried on my RS2e look identical to the ones on the left of your picture. They were purchased recently.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #41,830 of 65,553

since you are not an expert of grado, let's not dwell into there are several g pad designs from grado. as far as we know for the genuine g-pad there is only one type. for the knock off there are several types, and the genuine g pad and knock off g pad vastly different in shape and design, let alone how their sound but since i also not dealing with g-pad everyday so maybe @TheMiddleSky could give some info about it since jaben probably have to order several of g-pads from time to time

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #41,831 of 65,553
Can someone who has tried them please compare the Grado hemp ($420) with other Grados, preferably those in a similar price bracket (RS2e if possible)?

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #41,832 of 65,553

Maybe @ruthieandjohn can let us know if there were some changes made to the g-pads when they released the "e" models.
Far as I know, only one type of Grado G-pad exists.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #41,834 of 65,553

Users who are viewing this thread

Back