Grado Fan Club!
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #41,853 of 65,634
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #41,855 of 65,634
do you find the sundara more transparent than the rs2e? and which is more detailed?
The Sundara is a bit more transparent. Not a huge difference there except in the treble. The Sundara has the best treble of any headphone I've heard. Yes, big compliment but it is true. The Sundara handles treble amazingly well. The tonal mids of the RS2e are its strongest point.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #41,858 of 65,634
i have an rs2e, should i take a sundara or not?

I have a GH2 and I love my Sundara's. It is two VERY different sounds.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #41,860 of 65,634

I'm also thinking about getting a Sundara (but my RS2e is going nowhere...I love it).

From what I've read about the Sundara, it is not as comfortable as the RS2e (itchy earpads aside) and it has major QC problems. If you do go for it, make sure you buy from a place that has an excellent return policy. Be aware that some of those problems can develop after the one month return window, so you better be prepared to send of your headphone to some far away land for service and/or warranty replacement (which lasts one year). Also, you better be prepared to change the pads often since they seem to fall apart with regular frequency.

Grados are built like tanks.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #41,861 of 65,634
I'm also thinking about getting a Sundara (but my RS2e is going nowhere...I love it).

From what I've read about the Sundara, it is not as comfortable as the RS2e (itchy earpads aside) and it has major QC problems. If you do go for it, make sure you buy from a place that has an excellent return policy. Be aware that some of those problems can develop after the one month return window, so you better be prepared to send of your headphone to some far away land for service and/or warranty replacement (which lasts one year). Also, you better be prepared to change the pads often since they seem to fall apart with regular frequency.

Grados are built like tanks.

Just some feedback for you.

The Sundara's are WAY more comfortable than any Grado that I have owned. The GH2's are only useable, to me, with Beautiful Audio ear pads.

HiFiman does not have major QC problems. They may have in the past, but people are just magnifying a few problems now. I have owned two pairs of HiFiman (HE4XX's and Sundara's) for about one year in total. The quality was as good as any other brand I have owned, although I did hate the sound of the HE4XX's. :relaxed:

While I am sure a small percentage of people will have problems with any gear, Hifiman is not inferior and does not break/fail regularly.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #41,862 of 65,634
Just some feedback for you.

The Sundara's are WAY more comfortable than any Grado that I have owned. The GH2's are only useable, to me, with Beautiful Audio ear pads.

HiFiman does not have major QC problems. They may have in the past, but people are just magnifying a few problems now. I have owned two pairs of HiFiman (HE4XX's and Sundara's) for about one year in total. The quality was as good as any other brand I have owned, although I did hate the sound of the HE4XX's. :relaxed:

While I am sure a small percentage of people will have problems with any gear, Hifiman is not inferior and does not break/fail regularly.
what differences of sound between the sundara and the degree you have?

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #41,863 of 65,634
I can recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro as a great partner for the RS2e (or GH4). Both are equally great, but very different; electronically, physically and sonically.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #41,864 of 65,634
I read that the Sundara clamps a little too much. Grados are so light and they don't put any pressure on your head. If you can find a solution for the itchy pads, Grado headphones are among the most comfortable headphones you can buy.

This Grado thread has almost 2800 pages and seldom (if at all) do you see a complaint about QC issues (no dead drivers, no channel imbalances). Yeah, you do see many complaints about comfort, but there are ways to get rid of the itchy pads problem.

I've gone through most of the Sundara thread and in almost every other page there is a report about driver failure (or chanel imbalance) or pads falling apart. Hifiman is famous for their bad QC, there is no denying that fact.

I'm willing to take a chance though. I plan to buy them from Amazon...and I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping that there are no problems after 30 days. I believe the Sundara makes a good second can, but I would never recommend it as someone's one and only headphone.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #41,865 of 65,634
I can recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro as a great partner for the RS2e (or GH4). Both are equally great, but very different; electronically, physically and sonically.
Yea I have been thinking about adding dt1990. But i'm compulsive about trying new things. I am concerned they may be too bright for my taste. I owned a T1 but sold it after a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back