Grado Fan Club!
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #41,881 of 65,747
I've been enjoying my new HEMP. Nice looking tho' the pads are uncomfortable (no news there). I'll sub some flats or G-cush soon. Sound? You know, I don't hear very well anymore, but, I would be hard pressed to describe the differences with my SR-60e and SR-325i. I'd like to hear from other owners. What do y'all think? Also, the packaging was flimsy, no more pizza boxes I guess. At least Grado included a T-shirt that helped the FedEx packing but the box was still not in great shape.
I am loving my Hemps. They are definitely an upgrade over my 325e. Perfect for guitar-driven rock n' roll ----- Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers Band, etc. I haven't heard anything better.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #41,883 of 65,747
I've been enjoying my new HEMP. Nice looking tho' the pads are uncomfortable (no news there). I'll sub some flats or G-cush soon. Sound? You know, I don't hear very well anymore, but, I would be hard pressed to describe the differences with my SR-60e and SR-325i. I'd like to hear from other owners. What do y'all think? Also, the packaging was flimsy, no more pizza boxes I guess. At least Grado included a T-shirt that helped the FedEx packing but the box was still not in great shape.

Well, can't blame your ears. Most SR series has similar "strong character" which to find the differences in sound would be matter of nuances, micro detail, and imaging. Of course a bit harder to differentiate the sound compare to lets say SR325e vs Hifiman Sundara.

Congrats for your HEMP purchase! Really curious about this one due to beautiful wood design.

I am loving my Hemps. They are definitely an upgrade over my 325e. Perfect for guitar-driven rock n' roll ----- Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers Band, etc. I haven't heard anything better.

Possible to explain more about Hemps and sr325e? I'm familiar enough with 325e actually.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #41,884 of 65,747
Well, can't blame your ears. Most SR series has similar "strong character" which to find the differences in sound would be matter of nuances, micro detail, and imaging. Of course a bit harder to differentiate the sound compare to lets say SR325e vs Hifiman Sundara.

Congrats for your HEMP purchase! Really curious about this one due to beautiful wood design

Congrats for your HEMP purchase! Really curious about this one due to beautiful wood design.

Possible to explain more about Hemps and sr325e? I'm familiar enough with 325e actually.

Sure. For me, the Hemp and the 325e are more similar than different. I get a little more bass, and a little bigger, fuller sound with the Hemp. Not night and day, more like middle of the night versus just after sunset.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #41,889 of 65,747
someone who tried rs2e and sundara which one did you prefer and why?
I have both. I posted about this same question a few pages back. If you are using the rs2e with a good transformer coupled tube amp that has a setting for low impedance headphones then the Grado beats the Sundara with massive soundstage and lush mids. If you are using solid state it is a close call and probably personal choice. On solid state the Sundara has that planar sound that dynamics cannot duplicate. Some of the best highs I have ever heard on a headphone with even top end solid state. On tubes (transformer coupled) go for the Grado. Something like the Woo Wa6 will do it with the Grado.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #41,890 of 65,747
Well, I took the plunge and bought my first ever pair of Grados and it's the 325e I settled on. I didn't want to spend more than that since I've never heard any Grados before but I didn't want to get one of the cheapest either so I think the 325e is a good middle ground since it is the best of the Prestige series. I kind of know what to expect and I'm hoping they're as fast and dynamic as they're said to be. I'm not expecting much bass but I didn't buy them for that anyways.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #41,892 of 65,747
Well, I took the plunge and bought my first ever pair of Grados and it's the 325e I settled on. I didn't want to spend more than that since I've never heard any Grados before but I didn't want to get one of the cheapest either so I think the 325e is a good middle ground since it is the best of the Prestige series. I kind of know what to expect and I'm hoping they're as fast and dynamic as they're said to be. I'm not expecting much bass but I didn't buy them for that anyways.
Solid, well-reasoned choice. Enjoy!

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #41,893 of 65,747
I'm wondering if I should get a pair of the G-Cush large ear pads for them because I'm not the biggest fan of on-ear pads but I don't want it to make them sound worse. If anyone has experience using the G-Cush pads on the 325e please let me know how well they work and if they sound good.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #41,894 of 65,747
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the level of bass in the 325e -- it's more than I expected coming from the Alessandro MS-1 (which is a "conditioned" SR80). Also, the 325e is also smoother than previous versions of the 325 family, IMO -- but i only heard the 325i for 30 mins many years ago, and it was pretty strident in the trebles. I'm very satisfied with the newer 325e that maintains all the great Grado sound, but is much more musical and listenable for long periods. Good choice.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #41,895 of 65,747
I'm wondering if I should get a pair of the G-Cush large ear pads for them because I'm not the biggest fan of on-ear pads but I don't want it to make them sound worse. If anyone has experience using the G-Cush pads on the 325e please let me know how well they work and if they sound good.
I bought some copy G-Cush large pads AND some copy L-bowl pads that are as firm but much softer. I switch back between both periodically. If I want to listen to aggressive, hi-impact music (prog metal, etc) the L-bowls help with that. The G-Cush copies are better for mellower music, jazz, etc where you really want a sense of space, and to soften the Grado aggressiveness just a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back