Grado Fan Club!
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #41,836 of 65,633
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #41,839 of 65,633
the pads scratch your ears

I used to have the same problem...until I purchased these covers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z2PCFR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now the L cushions are really soft and comfy.

11253668.jpg

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #41,840 of 65,633
I tried my RS2e with Grado (sold by Grado) g-pads (which I think you are calling GS1000i pads). I have never owned any knock off g-pads (aftermarket pads, which you are calling GS1000e pads ).

There is no such thing as GS1000e pads. The current GS1000e models come with the same pads as the GS1000i (at least they have the same shape...I don't know if the composition of the pads has changed).

Maybe @ruthieandjohn can let us know if there were some changes made to the g-pads when they released the "e" models.

I went on Grado’s official page under accessories. The G pads they sell are made for “all” GS series models,including the GS3000e.

https://www.4ourears.net/Grado_G_cushions_p/4e-gcush.htm

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #41,841 of 65,633
since you are not an expert of grado, let's not dwell into there are several g pad designs from grado. as far as we know for the genuine g-pad there is only one type. for the knock off there are several types, and the genuine g pad and knock off g pad vastly different in shape and design, let alone how their sound but since i also not dealing with g-pad everyday so maybe @TheMiddleSky could give some info about it since jaben probably have to order several of g-pads from time to time

One thing that is weird assuming the oldest GS1000 phones had the same pads as GS1000e, is that the oldest GS1000 phones (I own them) sound bad with GS1000e pads, and sound good with aftermarket pads described as fitting GS1000. When I evaluated them subjectively, I definitely heard that something's wrong with the midrange/upper-midrange and highs as some parts were very harsh and some were muffled. Using aftermarket pads fixed that. After a few months I measured them and the differences are visible:

e5v5vjE.png

On this chart we have the frequency response of the oldest GS1000 version with various pads:
- VIOLET - aftermarket GS1000 pads model A
- BLUE - aftermarket GS1000 pads model B
- RED - original GS1000e pads made by Grado

What's wrong with the RED graph: multiple sharp downward and upward 3-5dB-high peaks (1.6kHz, 1.9kHz, 2.5kHz, 6.7kHz), highs cut-off (+12kHz).

So these aftermarket pads playing better than the original GS1000e pads made me sure the original GS1000 pads must have been different. But if it's not the case, kudos to the aftermarket pads designers :).

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #41,842 of 65,633
One thing that is weird assuming the oldest GS1000 phones had the same pads as GS1000e, is that the oldest GS1000 phones (I own them) sound bad with GS1000e pads, and sound good with aftermarket pads described as fitting GS1000. When I evaluated them subjectively, I definitely heard that something's wrong with the midrange/upper-midrange and highs as some parts were very harsh and some were muffled. Using aftermarket pads fixed that. After a few months I measured them and the differences are visible:

e5v5vjE.png

On this chart we have the frequency response of the oldest GS1000 version with various pads:
- VIOLET - aftermarket GS1000 pads model A
- BLUE - aftermarket GS1000 pads model B
- RED - original GS1000e pads made by Grado

What's wrong with the RED graph: multiple sharp downward and upward 3-5dB-high peaks (1.6kHz, 1.9kHz, 2.5kHz, 6.7kHz), highs cut-off (+12kHz).

So these aftermarket pads playing better than the original GS1000e pads made me sure the original GS1000 pads must have been different. But if it's not the case, kudos to the aftermarket pads designers :).
yeah, just because it's sound good to your ears that's doesn't necessarily mean it's the actual pad for those headphone, unless you have evidence/proof that's those type of design is actually the genuine ear pad for that model. i've seen many people playing with any kind of ear pads for their headphones to satisfied their needs or preference. even grado changed their pads on their headphones several times in few iterations, i've seen sr80 from flat pad to bowl/L-pad to comfy/s-pad, imagine that, from $40 earpad to $25 earpad to whatever s-pad cost.

i myself is not a fan of gs1000i sounds,they sound really weird for rock/metal, the sound is too thin, not a fans of their v-sound too, the mid range too laid back while the bass and treble is too forward, sound really weird for rock/metal but for small ensemble jazz, sound quite alright. maybe i should try knock off g-pad on them. but yeah not everyone like gs1000 sound in the first place. same stuff with sr325 gold, that doesn't mean the l-pad is not their genuine ear pad in the first place

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #41,843 of 65,633
I need to finally replace my G pads on my 325is. Are there any Better pads out there, or is it pretty much just stock G pads that are the way to go? I also should probably get a stand instead of leaving them lying around. I’ve been out of the audio game for so long though that I forgot all about/where to find stuff.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #41,844 of 65,633
I need to finally replace my G pads on my 325is. Are there any Better pads out there, or is it pretty much just stock G pads that are the way to go? I also should probably get a stand instead of leaving them lying around. I’ve been out of the audio game for so long though that I forgot all about/where to find stuff.
if you wanna go adventurous
https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #41,846 of 65,633
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #41,847 of 65,633
I jusr ordered a set of these for my 325es. I love their sound but those stock pads needed to go. I'm curious how these will affect the sound with wider, deeper cups that will seal around the ears.
not sure, keep us updated once you tried it, so far few people in here like it

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #41,849 of 65,633
I have both. Ì like both but they are very different. The RS2e is much warmer and less transparent. The Grado has a slightly larger soundstage. They compnlement each other. I run the Sundara balanced that helps it a lot.
do you find the sundara more transparent than the rs2e? and which is more detailed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back