Grado Fan Club!
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #37,681 of 65,604
Hey everyone!

Greetings from northern Québec! Just joined the forum... hoping to enjoy and share some thoughts here!! I've been using a Grado GS1000i for a few years now, but I just bit the bullet and had the chance to order a tube amp for it!

Got a Schiit Valhalla 2, so hoping to hook it up to the Bifrost DAC, via optical cable, with mostly .aiff / flac files. also, hoping to use with the floor standing speakers KEF Q700's, currently connected to an old home theatre receiver, Sony.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts on the tube & solid amp combo! Got some JJ e88cc that will be used with the stock tubes... so let's see how they go!

At work, I use a nuforce DAC with an old ipod classic...

Cheers!

greeting! looking forward for your thought. happy listening

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #37,683 of 65,604
Hey guys, what's the status on the limited edition Grados of the L.A. and O.C. audio society? When was the cut off date? What was the price!? Can they still be ordered?

Thanks in advance for any info!

i think you missed that opportunity
price :$995, no shipping cost and no tax.
Not sold by any dealers!!! Only Sold directly by Grado and they ship directly to you. On January 31, I will turn in the orders to Grado and they will produce the Society Headphones.No promises on extending this offer so you should do it now.

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #37,684 of 65,604
Hey everyone!

Greetings from northern Québec! Just joined the forum... hoping to enjoy and share some thoughts here!! I've been using a Grado GS1000i for a few years now, but I just bit the bullet and had the chance to order a tube amp for it!

Got a Schiit Valhalla 2, so hoping to hook it up to the Bifrost DAC, via optical cable, with mostly .aiff / flac files. also, hoping to use with the floor standing speakers KEF Q700's, currently connected to an old home theatre receiver, Sony.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts on the tube & solid amp combo! Got some JJ e88cc that will be used with the stock tubes... so let's see how they go!

At work, I use a nuforce DAC with an old ipod classic...

Cheers!

Bienvenue mon cher Tricolor. Les membres sur le fil Grado sont tous sympathiques. J'espère que tu va aimer ton Valhalla 2.

Translation : Welcome my dear Tricolor. The Grado thread members are very nice people. I hope you like/ enjoy your Valhalla 2.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #37,685 of 65,604
Not sold by any dealers!!! Only Sold directly by Grado and they ship directly to you. On January 31, I will turn in the orders to Grado and they will produce the Society Headphones.No promises on extending this offer so you should do it now.
Thank you for the info brother!

Sooo... did any GFC members (Grado fan club) place an order for them? If you did, is there an expected date of delivery ?

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #37,686 of 65,604
Thank you for the info brother!

Sooo... did any GFC members (Grado fan club) place an order for them? If you did, is there an expected date of delivery ?
i didn't but @Astral Abyss did order the LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniv. editions

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #37,687 of 65,604
i didn't but @Astral Abyss did order the LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniv. editions

When I originally asked about the ETA, I was told that they were hoping to have them done by the end of February. That date has obviously slipped, but these look to be worth the wait. No word yet on a revised ship date, but I'll post some pics and impressions once I get them.

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #37,688 of 65,604
Bienvenue mon cher Tricolor. Les membres sur le fil Grado sont tous sympathiques. J'espère que tu va aimer ton Valhalla 2.

Translation : Welcome my dear Tricolor. The Grado thread members are very nice people. I hope you like/ enjoy your Valhalla 2.

Merci Bob, vraiment apprecié! :). hoping to receive it in the next few days, can’t wait to check it out! i love the headphone but i’ve never had a chance to try it out with a tube amp. i’m super curious to experience it!
i’ve even got some spare tubes lined up! :) JJ e88cc are here chilling along with some sockets savers... :)

my tube experience is limited to listening to friends playing guitars and their tube amps vs. solid state is quite interesting! I know it is different when it comes to stereo systems.... but still i think i will love it!

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #37,689 of 65,604
Having ordered and received both the PS2000e and the GS2000e in Grado’s balanced configuration, I inquired of Grado Labs what amp they recommend.

They recommended the Schiit Mjolnir 2 for balanced operation, which caused me to order both it and also the balanced Gungir Multibit DAC. It just got shipped today after a 2-1/2 month delay with balanced output, though I have been quite satisfied with my Lotoo PAW 5000 also with balanced output, recommended by Grado. But the AK70 supports a sampling rate above the 96ksample/sec of the Lotoo PAW 5000, as well, it allows character string search so you can find songs!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #37,690 of 65,604
Having ordered and received both the PS2000e and the GS2000e in Grado’s balanced configuration, I inquired of Grado Labs what amp they recommend.

They recommended he Schiit Mjolnir 2 for balanced operation, which caused me to order both it and also the balanced Gungir Multibit DAC. It just got shipped today after a 2-1/2 month DAP with balanced output, though I have been quite satisfied with my Lotoo PAW 5000 also with balanced output, recommended by Grado. But the AK70 supports a sampling rate above the 96ksample/sec of the Lotoo PAW 5000, as well, it allows character string search so you can find songs!
Congratulations on your new Schiit!
Looking forward to reading your impressions.

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #37,691 of 65,604
The Schiit Jotunheim's balanced output is not bad for the GS2000e. Well worth considering.

For PS2000e I quite like the Auralic Taurus and Vega combo. Haven't try the Jotunheim, as the amp is in my office and don't really want to take the PS2000e out of the house. I suspect they will match quite well though, as the PS2000e seem to prefer a brighter amplifier.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #37,692 of 65,604
Dear head-fi-folks,
last week I bought my second pair of Grados! After spending two lovely years with the RS2e (which I still admire deeply) I was tempted to jump deeper into the Grado Labs rabbit hole. After spending an afternoon at my local headphone dealer listening to the RS1e (utterly dissappointing), 325e (too much treble for my taste) PS-500e (nice but missing the warmth I grew accustomed to), GS1000e (VERY nice sounding but a bit above my budget right now), GS2000e (same thing: wonderful sounding but far too expensive) and the classic SR80e (lacking a bit of magic, but wonderful headphones for their price), I settled for the headphone dealers personal favourite Grados. So I took his advice for granted and left with a new pizzabox - inside: the sexy, beautiful GH2!
Been listening to the GH2 for 5 days now and I am utterly in love. Despite only being a bit pricier than the RS2e, the GH2 truly feel like Endgame cans for my ears. They just sound so full on. While maybe not as detailed as the RS2e, they brought back BASS into my life - the only thing I found lacking in the RS2e. While continuosly switching headphones and songs to make out the small and obvious details between the two headphones, I realized that with my upgraded sound configuration I don't feel ANYTHING lacking anymore. For detailed solo / acoustic music, I still prefer the RS2e. For anything else, the GH2 seem to cover my needs up to 99%. And for that rest 1%, there are still my good old Sennheiser HD650 lying around - for those rare moments where I just don't feel the Grado-mojo.
Anyhow, I want to write an detailed report RS2e vs GH2 soon - right now I just wanted to tell all of you how happy I am with this purchase. I was a bit hestitant at first - do I really need a second pair of Grados? Will the possible small difference in sound be worth the 750 Euros investion? I may answer YES and YES to these questions now - while adding that the difference in sound is acutally not small at all but rather significant. Both headphones sound great for various reasons. They seem like twin brothers to me, sharing the same DNA, but moving into different academic carreers throughout their life. The GH2 sound like I would have imagend the RS1e to sound like.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #37,693 of 65,604
Dear head-fi-folks,
last week I bought my second pair of Grados! After spending two lovely years with the RS2e (which I still admire deeply) I was tempted to jump deeper into the Grado Labs rabbit hole. After spending an afternoon at my local headphone dealer listening to the RS1e (utterly dissappointing), 325e (too much treble for my taste) PS-500e (nice but missing the warmth I grew accustomed to), GS1000e (VERY nice sounding but a bit above my budget right now), GS2000e (same thing: wonderful sounding but far too expensive) and the classic SR80e (lacking a bit of magic, but wonderful headphones for their price), I settled for the headphone dealers personal favourite Grados. So I took his advice for granted and left with a new pizzabox - inside: the sexy, beautiful GH2!
Been listening to the GH2 for 5 days now and I am utterly in love. Despite only being a bit pricier than the RS2e, the GH2 truly feel like Endgame cans for my ears. They just sound so full on. While maybe not as detailed as the RS2e, they brought back BASS into my life - the only thing I found lacking in the RS2e. While continuosly switching headphones and songs to make out the small and obvious details between the two headphones, I realized that with my upgraded sound configuration I don't feel ANYTHING lacking anymore. For detailed solo / acoustic music, I still prefer the RS2e. For anything else, the GH2 seem to cover my needs up to 99%. And for that rest 1%, there are still my good old Sennheiser HD650 lying around - for those rare moments where I just don't feel the Grado-mojo.
Anyhow, I want to write an detailed report RS2e vs GH2 soon - right now I just wanted to tell all of you how happy I am with this purchase. I was a bit hestitant at first - do I really need a second pair of Grados? Will the possible small difference in sound be worth the 750 Euros investion? I may answer YES and YES to these questions now - while adding that the difference in sound is acutally not small at all but rather significant. Both headphones sound great for various reasons. They seem like twin brothers to me, sharing the same DNA, but moving into different academic carreers throughout their life. The GH2 sound like I would have imagend the RS1e to sound like.
Good to hear man, sounds like you're all set!:beerchug:

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #37,694 of 65,604
Dear head-fi-folks,

I too love the Gh2, it's great
I've yet to hear the rs2e, but I really want to.
Looking forward to your thoughts

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #37,695 of 65,604
Hey guys, what's the status on the limited edition Grados of the L.A. and O.C. audio society? When was the cut off date? What was the price!? Can they still be ordered?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Hi wormsdriver,

The only bit of info that I would like to add to ruhenheiM's reply is that Robert H. Levi (President of the LA&OC Audio Society, and senior associate editor at Positive Feedback) said that there was the possibility of doing a second run of these LA&OC 25th Anniversary headphones. It would all depend on whatever the perceived demand is, I suppose. If a second run is authorized, I'll be sure to inform everybody here. Alternatively, you can periodically check for announcements on the LA&OC Audio Society's Facebook page.

I've also placed an order for these anniversary Grado headphones (balanced mode), and I'm very much looking forward to hearing how they compare, soundwise, to the other headphones in my collection. When I receive them, I'll be sure to post both photos and listening impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back