Grado Fan Club!
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #37,666 of 65,481
i think both of those models have different tuning and i'm pretty sure their weight also different, the whole listening experience would be different from each headphones, you can't really assume those "little" price different would make it a better deal. if you could demo both of them that would be great

I definitely agree with your point regarding price difference and quality. I've generally found an increase in enjoyment as I moved up the ladder in the prestige series and was wondering if the same would be true with the PS series. With that being said, it's sometimes a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #37,667 of 65,481
thanks joseph! great to hear grado sound truly great on gs-x SE mode. how about hd800s on gs-x SE output? i've been really thinking about dynalo lately :D

hahaha so now you're really dig the flat pad? hahaha yea it's funny how's brain work. man.. after i spend few days with denon, i'm not gonna lie, there was a thought i probably need to say goodbye to ps1000e but then i take a listen again with ps1000e and suddenly it became long listening session and next thing i know i've spent 3 days listening on ps1000e exclusively, and i still very much love this headphone :D i'll definitely keep ps1000e, at least for now i could afford to keep this ps1000e. i don't want to have those on/off relationship you guys had with certain headphones :D

btw flat pad definitely add more bass since it made the driver sit very close from ear, it also became more intimate, more forward sound for the midrange, soundstage seems smaller if i remember it correctly but the layering still great,i more into layering than bigger soundstage. like i said i like how flat pad made grado sound, most of the time i prefer flat pad with on-ear grado, however there is downside, if you have comfort issue with L-cush, flat pad would not make it any better
The Grado also sound great out of the GS-1. There is now a Gilmore Lite 2 available from HeadAmp, which I'd think would pair excellent with Grado.

I've never listened to the 800S SE only XLR, but they sound great as well via the GS-X, but the Spring DAC deserves the same credit, if not more.
Yeah, it's funny how there was practically no bass/warmth with the L cushions after spending enough time with the flat pads. I always knew from my short experience with them that they added bass, but after listening with them consecutively, then switching, I was shocked! I'm sure if I spent a few days with the L cushions, I'd feel the same to about them as I use to, though.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #37,668 of 65,481
I definitely agree with your point regarding price difference and quality. I was just ruminating about this because I've generally found an increase in enjoyment as I moved up the ladder in the prestige series. With that being said, it's sometimes a matter of taste.

that's understandable because in prestige series it's more about incremental improvement less tuning different although some models already show this case a little bit like between sr60 and sr80 also between sr225 and 325. just a little bit but enough for personal preference to play part. but this matter of taste will play massive part in upper series, especially since reference, signature, and professional series, all of them have different tuning to each others to my ears. for instance in my case i prefer rs1 button to gs1000i but i prefer ps1000e to rs1button, and somehow i prefer sr60 to gs1000i. so yeah weird, i know :D

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #37,669 of 65,481
The Grado also sound great out of the GS-1. There is now a Gilmore Lite 2 available from HeadAmp, which I'd think would pair excellent with Grado.

I've never listened to the 800S SE only XLR, but they sound great as well via the GS-X, but the Spring DAC deserves the same credit, if not more.
Yeah, it's funny how there was practically no bass/warmth with the L cushions after spending enough time with the flat pads. I always knew from my short experience with them that they added bass, but after listening with them consecutively, then switching, I was shocked! I'm sure if I spent a few days with the L cushions, I'd feel the same to about them as I use to, though.

yes i know. i've been looking for that one or the one from mjolnir audio but i also have other headphones which probably required more power, so still considering like dynahi or CFA, you never know when you'll need moar power but i'm more leaning to dynalo since it's matured and proven already also i'm not ready to go for balance mode yet. so if everything is enough in SE mode with dynalo than that's good enough for me

hahaha it probably brain burn in :D but you could be right, i'm definitely not paying enough attention or do enough critical listening between flat-pad and l-cush since it happened in the second year in my journey with grado so i'm definitely lack of knowledge and experience back then and ever since then i have been using flat pad until i got ps1000e. and then there's come a time when i decided to sell rs1button and since i have flat pad and l-cush, i took a few run with both of them and i still prefer flat pad :D

and to make it clear from that listening session,the latest one when i want to sell rs1 button. i realized it's not like the differences are that big, the one that i could notice immediately are just the bass and more forward on midrange, the other parts is very very little differences, critical listening back and forth is required to notice those other differences for me. the reason i prefer flat pad because to me it's sound more grado if that's make sense,i just enjoy listening music more with flat pad. but that doesn't mean l-cush is bad. like you said if i spent few days with l-cushion i probably wouldn't miss anything from flat pad other than maybe the bass :D but that's pretty much it

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #37,670 of 65,481
Well, I received my PS1000 yesterday as well as my new Grado "Official G ear cushions" I'm having my first listening session with them. Listening to Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. The only way to describe the sound is what came to mind a few minutes ago : it's like looking through your large living room window on a sunny day after having washed it. Before washing the window you looked out that same window and everything seemed very clear. Looking out that same window after cleaning it, you're amazed at just how clear everything really is.

That's what the PS1000 is like. A very clean, very clear living room window on a sunny day. In the past I've owned : the HD800 (4x), HD800 S, the T1 (3x), K702 (4x), PS1000e, Elear, Utopia, DT900 Pro 600ohm, DT800 Pro 600ohm, HE560, lcd2 rev 2 and others that I can't remember; the PS1000 is the best sounding headphone I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

I'm using them w/ my 1974, vintage Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amplifier. This amp is a beast, 70 wpc (conservative by today's measurements) & adjustable low & high filter switches, tone knobs & switches controls & a loudness switch & aside from the volume control, a volume level switch which provides additional tonality play with the filter and tone switches when not on off.

It's quite an experience. I hope I don't have another episode of senility in the future and sell this headphone as I did a few months ago. Only a few days after doing so, I knew I had made a mistake & couldn't keep denying it. Now I'm convinced that it was a mistake. Oh, Cousin Dupree is coming on, one of my favourite tracks on the album. Later ...

Happy listening everyone.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #37,673 of 65,481
Gotta love it... says "new never used".... 5 out of 6 pics show the RS1 with buttons, 6th pic shows RS1i. Description says RS1i...

Proceed with caution on this one. :wink:
probably couldn't figure out the ads to put but it is rs1 button, consider those serial number pretty low 1072.mine was 1863 but it was written at the back of the cardbox. but hey if you have 1725usd. which one to get ps1000e/ps1000/ps1000i/rs1button/hp2 or perhaps a ps2000e second. talking about a great deal

i should have sold mine at $1000, seems like a super deal compare to that one.damn i even throw flat pad on it,i could even include turbulent labs tan headband as a bonus

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #37,674 of 65,481

Yeah, that GS-X & the Spring should be wonderful....and the BH.

This dac is a great piece of gear.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #37,675 of 65,481
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #37,676 of 65,481
This is probably the buyer that sniped me last month. At £ 280 on ebay
hahaha first, i'm sorry to thear that :D .second, if it's true, why the non-sense flipping though? it's not rs1 with pink drivers right? if it's pink drivers,i get about the high price, not agree with it but still make more sense. but this is just completely...what's the term... bollocks!

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #37,677 of 65,481
Me either.

Gotta love it... says "new never used".... 5 out of 6 pics show the RS1 with buttons, 6th pic shows RS1i. Description says RS1i...

Proceed with caution on this one. :wink:
I noticed the description was for the (i) series, but I only see 5 photos in total, not the 6th showing an RS1i? Maybe the seller read your post and removed the last photo?

This is probably the buyer that sniped me last month. At £ 280 on ebay
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get snipped? I don't know if you mentioned it here, but don't recall reading it if you did.

PS: I have a Grado RS1i for sale for $1200.00 (US) if anyone is interested. :dt880smile:

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #37,678 of 65,481
PS: I have a Grado RS1i for sale for $1200.00 (US) if anyone is interested. :dt880smile:

throw flat pad and turbulent labs tanned headband on it, how about make it even better throw those extension cord grado include in gs/ps series. and make it $1250 shipped for conus only. you know what, perhaps you're in very generous mood right now.make it $1300 shipped internationally. i don't think i ever seen a better deal than that!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #37,679 of 65,481
Hey everyone!

Greetings from northern Québec! Just joined the forum... hoping to enjoy and share some thoughts here!! I've been using a Grado GS1000i for a few years now, but I just bit the bullet and had the chance to order a tube amp for it!

Got a Schiit Valhalla 2, so hoping to hook it up to the Bifrost DAC, via optical cable, with mostly .aiff / flac files. also, hoping to use with the floor standing speakers KEF Q700's, currently connected to an old home theatre receiver, Sony.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts on the tube & solid amp combo! Got some JJ e88cc that will be used with the stock tubes... so let's see how they go!

At work, I use a nuforce DAC with an old ipod classic...

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #37,680 of 65,481
Hey everyone!

Greetings from northern Québec! Just joined the forum... hoping to enjoy and share some thoughts here!! I've been using a Grado GS1000i for a few years now, but I just bit the bullet and had the chance to order a tube amp for it!

Got a Schiit Valhalla 2, so hoping to hook it up to the Bifrost DAC, via optical cable, with mostly .aiff / flac files. also, hoping to use with the floor standing speakers KEF Q700's, currently connected to an old home theatre receiver, Sony.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts on the tube & solid amp combo! Got some JJ e88cc that will be used with the stock tubes... so let's see how they go!

At work, I use a nuforce DAC with an old ipod classic...

Cheers!
The GS1Ki should pair well with a tube amp.
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back