Grado Fan Club!
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #36,211 of 65,792
I got a GS1000i 1 month before, but I think it is hard to drive...and I do not have extra money to get amp...So I am considering sell it or trade.
Is there anyone can give me some advice, which headphone is same level with GSKi and easy to drive?
Thanks!

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #36,212 of 65,792
What are you using to drive your Grado GS1000i? iPhone?

I have and LOVE the Grado GS1000i...my favorite of the Grados (and I have 26 of 'em!). I find no need for an amp, though a good DAC can help improve their (already huge) soundstage and imaging. I often drive them with an iPhone 5 only.

What are the symptoms you observe of their being hard to drive? Volume? Detail?

Perhaps the Grado sound (ultra transparent, light bass) is not to your liking, which suggests that an amp would not help.

Another non Grado headphone I enjoy in that price range is the Fostex TH-900 (similar drive requirements of Grado - closed or actually semi closed, but sounds open).

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #36,215 of 65,792
No, what you say matches others' characterization of the Grado 1000i. All Grados are light in bass (strongest one is the RS1, the classic one with a wood button on each earpiece center), and the GS1000i in particular has hot treble. I love that...gives me a transparent "you are there" feeling, but others have found it too much.

The GS1000e, like all of the Grado e line, softens that treble, increases the bass, and gives 3dB more sound for a given driving power. While that sounds tempting, to me the GS1000e also has a distracting resonance in the bass, only noticeable on comparison with other Grados, as if the bass is coming through a barrel that tends to emphasize one frequency. It is one of my least favorite Grados!

I think your DAP is plenty strong AND has a good DAC. I don't think you are limited by that.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #36,216 of 65,792
No, what you say matches others' characterization of the Grado 1000i. All Grados are light in bass (strongest one is the RS1, the classic one with a wood button on each earpiece center), and the GS1000i in particular has hot treble. I love that...gives me a transparent "you are there" feeling, but others have found it too much.

The GS1000e, like all of the Grado e line, softens that treble, increases the bass, and gives 3dB more sound for a given driving power. While that sounds tempting, to me the GS1000e also has a distracting resonance in the bass, only noticeable on comparison with other Grados, as if the bass is coming through a barrel that tends to emphasize one frequency. It is one of my least favorite Grados!

I think your DAP is plenty strong AND has a good DAC. I don't think you are limited by that.

Thank you! Now I understand why someone love Grado and someone do not like it at all. It have it's own signature.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #36,217 of 65,792

What's your favorite Grado for vocals/acoustic?

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #36,218 of 65,792

Maybe GSKi just not my cup of tea, and now I am looking to trade it to similar level headphones.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #36,219 of 65,792
My favorite Grados, regardless of type of music (since they are all so close) are the GS1000i (for over ear) and the RS2e (for on ear). A couple of the links in my signature line detail my ranking and comparisons of various Grados, but in short, I love them all (even the GS1000e, just not quite as much).

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #36,220 of 65,792
My favorite Grados, regardless of type of music (since they are all so close) are the GS1000i (for over ear) and the RS2e (for on ear). A couple of the links in my signature line detail my ranking and comparisons of various Grados, but in short, I love them all (even the GS1000e, just not quite as much).

Oh yea I read your big Grado comparison thread already, didn't realize that was your post, thanks for doing that it was a very helpful read

Can you use the gpads on the rs2 without ruining the sound? Can't do the on ear for extended listening sessions

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #36,221 of 65,792
The only Grado that improves with the use of the G pads, and it is a great one, is the GH1. In general, putting G Cush on an on-ear Grado degrades sound quality. (The GH1, in my preference, is second only to the RS2e among the Grado on-ears)..

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #36,222 of 65,792
Oh yea I read your big Grado comparison thread already, didn't realize that was your post, thanks for doing that it was a very helpful read

Can you use the gpads on the rs2 without ruining the sound? Can't do the on ear for extended listening sessions
Not the OEM Grado G-pads since it will kill the bass on the RS2e. I love my SR-225e and RS2e with generic G-pads ($4-6 from ebay) or you can spend the $20 for EarZonk ones, better bass, sound stage and improved comfort to me over the OEM L-pads. Again this is my ears and my preference where others like @ruthieandjohn have their preferences.

Maybe GSKi just not my cup of tea, and now I am looking to trade it to similar level headphones.
If you want more bass and a richer/fuller sound then look at a DIY build using Nhoord Red V2 drivers in wood cups. Or try and see if you can demo a "e" series Grado which are tuned differently from the older "i" and non-lettered versions.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #36,223 of 65,792
Not the OEM Grado G-pads since it will kill the bass on the RS2e. I love my SR-225e and RS2e with generic G-pads ($4-6 from ebay) or you can spend the $20 for EarZonk ones, better bass, sound stage and improved comfort to me over the OEM L-pads. Again this is my ears and my preference where others like @ruthieandjohn have their preferences.

If you want more bass and a richer/fuller sound then look at a DIY build using Nhoord Red V2 drivers in wood cups. Or try and see if you can demo a "e" series Grado which are tuned differently from the older "i" and non-lettered versions.

Yea I ordered the earzonk ones the other day, they should be here tomorrow. I love these sr60e's, they are phenomenal for the price especially for acoustic stuff, but man those on ear cups hurt my ears even after stretching the band for a few days

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #36,224 of 65,792
Yea I ordered the earzonk ones the other day, they should be here tomorrow. I love these sr60e's, they are phenomenal for the price especially for acoustic stuff, but man those on ear cups hurt my ears even after stretching the band for a few days
If the generic G-pads didn't exist i would have moved on from my SR-225e and never tried the RS2e since as much as i tried to get used to the OEM L-pads i never did. I can only listen with L-pads for 15-20 minutes and then I need a break of a few hours for my ears to stop hurting.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #36,225 of 65,792
If the generic G-pads didn't exist i would have moved on from my SR-225e and never tried the RS2e since as much as i tried to get used to the OEM L-pads i never did. I can only listen with L-pads for 15-20 minutes and then I need a break of a few hours for my ears to stop hurting.

Same, they sound great, but boy are they uncomfy. Do you use the generics on your rs2e also?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back