Grado Fan Club!
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #36,241 of 66,261
the transitioned time probably really hard to trace because as you know grado never actually tell when they deploy it,they just label it as it is.but the second generation.the i.that's quite different matter because the chasis/headphone cup actually changed.from non i to i version.from flat to have mushroom shape. when grado released ps1000 i remembered they already discontinued the sr325i which if i'm not mistaken the sr325i was the gold version. i don't think there were any sr325 with gold cup. when they released the second generation.they put letter i on all their headphone.but the sr325 already have letter i(for the gold one).that's why they called their second generation of sr325 as sr325is and just rolled back the colour to silver.. in alessandro lines up of the ms2.just ms2,ms2i,ms2e.there is no ms2is. perhaps the weirdest part of sr325is is the colour scheme.i remember back then they have a few iteration of silver finishing because of the problematic of some finishing not always resulted a consistent finish

but i'm not really sure about this one though :D

@ joseph69:
this is probably difficult to find out. I bought my first Grado the SR80 (without i) in spring 2008. Than in summer I was in full grip of the grado fever and bought my golden SR325i. I had than never heard about the new series. Ok here in Europe we might be a bit behind in the model changes but still I would say this happened later. It must be somewhere here on the forum because I remember people posting pictures of the SR XXi models with the change plastic cups. At that time there was no official note from Grado....

Thank you both for your responses. @ruhenheiM you're correct about everything you mentioned above.
I contacted Grado, and they said the 325is came out about 12yrs ago which bring us to '05???

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #36,242 of 66,261
wow 2005!! that early. so are there any silver sr325i?

does that also means the second generation was released in 2005?

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #36,244 of 66,261
I have no clue after Grados response. Reading this doesn't match with their response.

yeah i know. is there any possibilities they already used the second generation grado drivers to non i version? just like what they did when they used the third generation drivers into the second generation headphones without any mention.but even if they did that, that's like 2 years transition hahaha such mystery :D

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #36,245 of 66,261
I have no clue after Grados response. Reading this doesn't match with their response.
Well, all I can say that I am very glad I could buy in 2008 a SR325i because it is still my favourite Grado HP.... ok together with the HF-1 and the Alessandro MS-Pro.... I think we just accept that timeline for Grado passes in the same way as their quality control....:relaxed:

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #36,246 of 66,261
Well, all I can say that I am very glad I could buy in 2008 a SR325i because it is still my favourite Grado HP.... ok together with the HF-1 and the Alessandro MS-Pro.... I think we just accept that timeline for Grado passes in the same way as their quality control....:relaxed:

you can't beat hand made!!! imperfection is part of the charm:gs1000smile:

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #36,248 of 66,261
there is possibilities it was nos.when grado released the second generation, the first generation still in stores, maybe they didn't immediately stop the first generation or it just the last stock from the last batch. but i'm really not sure about those year though. when the second generation was released there were many comparison between first and second generation.i don't think there were any discussion from 2005. also the hf-1 was release in 2005. why they used the old cup shape when they already have a newer cup from second generation

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #36,249 of 66,261
When I was researching the SR325is date for my classified thread selling a set of one each of the four SR325 model numbers, I got 2009 as the date of the release of the SR325is, both from the "History of Grado" thread linked in my signature (under "Evolution of the SR325," about 1/2 way down) and from the thread "SR325i Owners Club," here.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #36,250 of 66,261
that's make more sense, i think they release the ps1000 first before they release the second generation.it can't be 2005.the flagship back then still gs1000.

or wait... maybe not. damn it grado just ruin my timeline

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #36,251 of 66,261
the transitioned time probably really hard to trace because as you know grado never actually tell when they deploy it,they just label it as it is.but the second generation.the i.that's quite different matter because the chasis/headphone cup actually changed.from non i to i version.from flat to have mushroom shape. when grado released ps1000 i remembered they already discontinued the sr325i which if i'm not mistaken the sr325i was the gold version. i don't think there were any sr325 with gold cup. when they released the second generation.they put letter i on all their headphone.but the sr325 already have letter i(for the gold one).that's why they called their second generation of sr325 as sr325is and just rolled back the colour to silver.. in alessandro lines up of the ms2.just ms2,ms2i,ms2e.there is no ms2is. perhaps the weirdest part of sr325is is the colour scheme.i remember back then they have a few iteration of silver finishing because of the problematic of some finishing not always resulted a consistent finish

but i'm not really sure about this one though :D

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649370266-grado-325-is/

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #36,253 of 66,261
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #36,254 of 66,261
I haven´t heard my first love, original SR60:s for a loooong time ago, like 17 years. Now i found a pair for 30€, and oh boy do they still sound very, very good.
Since my first grados, i had pleasure to own, or enjoy allmost all of them, and i do like to mod those cans, because they take it so very well.
These one are very abused, and i cant wait, till i find time to do proper modding for them.
Anyway, im just blown away, how good those original grado 60:s sound. it´s close to Sennheiser Hd650, s and they are trice as expensive cans.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #36,255 of 66,261
Very confusing.
I did see some reviews IIRC around '08-'09, though.
this is what some people don't like about grado, way too many variations. usually i also bitching about this thing.but it's easier to forgive grado since their headphone department has been manufactured since 90s. too many things changed, too many variation,same name. very confusing for sure

I haven´t heard my first love, original SR60:s for a loooong time ago, like 17 years. Now i found a pair for 30€, and oh boy do they still sound very, very good.
Since my first grados, i had pleasure to own, or enjoy allmost all of them, and i do like to mod those cans, because they take it so very well.
These one are very abused, and i cant wait, till i find time to do proper modding for them.
Anyway, im just blown away, how good those original grado 60:s sound. it´s close to Sennheiser Hd650, s and they are trice as expensive cans.
not sure about hd650. i haven't heard it.i think i tried hd600 not that impressed but sr60... to these days i still think that headphone is still one of the best grado ever came up with. they used to sell for $60 i think.what a joy you could have from that headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back