Grado Fan Club!
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #36,226 of 66,261
Yup, I only use the generic G-pads since the OEM G-pads are a bit harder on the edge and kill the bass. But its the opposite when it comes to the sound with the L-pads where I like the sound of the OEM L-pads much better than the Earzonk or generic ones. I have a prototype Nhoord driver that was designed for use with OEM G-pads and while it does sound quite good I still like the softness of the generic G-pad better.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #36,228 of 66,261
The only Grado that improves with the use of the G pads, and it is a great one, is the GH1. In general, putting G Cush on an on-ear Grado degrades sound quality. (The GH1, in my preference, is second only to the RS2e among the Grado on-ears)..
Have you had a chance to hear the GH2 or PS500E with the G pads. I am looking for a Grado that is in production that sounds good with G pads.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #36,229 of 66,261
I have tried the PS500 (not e) with and without G pads... results are in my "comparison of (nearly) every Grado" thread linked in my signature... changes the sound, improving some aspects and degrading others, for no overall gain. I have not tried on the GH2 (don't have 'em), but have not heard from multiple people that the G improves the GH2 as I have (and found, and compared first hand) on the GH1.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #36,230 of 66,261
Hey guys, I have what may be an odd question. Would it be worth it to upgrade from the SR80e to an older 'i' model? For example, SR80e to RS2i. Or would it make more sense to put away more for the newer RS2e? Im fairly new to Grado's but am in love with their sound so any advice would be great. Thanks!

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #36,231 of 66,261
Hey guys, I have what may be an odd question. Would it be worth it to upgrade from the SR80e to an older 'i' model? For example, SR80e to RS2i. Or would it make more sense to put away more for the newer RS2e? Im fairly new to Grado's but am in love with their sound so any advice would be great. Thanks!

I'm new to Grado's too, but I think that would be more of a sidegrade if anything. Whether that's worth is up to you, but probably not subjectively speaking

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #36,233 of 66,261
It really depends on what you are looking for, I like the "e" series due to the warmer tuning and not looking for traditional Grado sound

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #36,234 of 66,261
@Stevenpi1992 , it very much depends from Which and to which model you are going.

For example, in my opinion from owning all and comparing, RS2e > RS2i > RS2, but RS1 > RS1i > RS1e. In the first case, the -e version is the best, but in the second case, it is the original version that is the best. I do think that RS2i > SR80e.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #36,237 of 66,261
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #36,238 of 66,261
i think it should be around grado released second generation which according to their website it was around 2007
http://www.gradolabs.com/company/timeline

yeah.i think it's around that.i found a what's hifi reviewed 325is in 2008
https://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325is/review
I read this as well as many others with varying dates, and probably found all the same reviews/Info as you have, but can't seem to find out when they transitioned from the (i) to the (is) series?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #36,239 of 66,261
the transitioned time probably really hard to trace because as you know grado never actually tell when they deploy it,they just label it as it is.but the second generation.the i.that's quite different matter because the chasis/headphone cup actually changed.from non i to i version.from flat to have mushroom shape. when grado released ps1000 i remembered they already discontinued the sr325i which if i'm not mistaken the sr325i was the gold version. i don't think there were any sr325 with gold cup. when they released the second generation.they put letter i on all their headphone.but the sr325 already have letter i(for the gold one).that's why they called their second generation of sr325 as sr325is and just rolled back the colour to silver.. in alessandro lines up of the ms2.just ms2,ms2i,ms2e.there is no ms2is. perhaps the weirdest part of sr325is is the colour scheme.i remember back then they have a few iteration of silver finishing because of the problematic of some finishing not always resulted a consistent finish

but i'm not really sure about this one though :D

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #36,240 of 66,261
@ joseph69:
this is probably difficult to find out. I bought my first Grado the SR80 (without i) in spring 2008. Than in summer I was in full grip of the grado fever and bought my golden SR325i. I had than never heard about the new series. Ok here in Europe we might be a bit behind in the model changes but still I would say this happened later. It must be somewhere here on the forum because I remember people posting pictures of the SR XXi models with the change plastic cups. At that time there was no official note from Grado....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back