Grado Fan Club!
Aug 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #33,302 of 65,571
....just a reminder, you can have too much of a good thing!

...through my iPod Touch and Mojo, the SR325e sound superb - though I sometimes
use the Captune app to slightly decrease the highs for more enjoyable long-term 
listening of Tidal streams.

Of course, I'm sure the PS500e is somewhat smoother, more neutral and more detailed,
however the 325e sounds great through Mojo.....my GS1000i sounds too smooth and laid back through Mojo so lately I actually prefer the 325e -
where I find the slight aggressiveness/etch of the hp and full bass
sounds a really right musical pairing through (the really natural, refined but slightly lean sounding Mojo)!

With my other DAC - ALO the Island (used with my Mac, no portable use possible)-
I quickly switch from the 325e's to the GS1000i's - no contest with that dac  - as the Island is more forward,
larger bass and soundstageand slightly etched sounding...
..which pairs really well with the somewhat laid-back, but super detailed, large soundstage and super-smooth 1000i's!

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #33,303 of 65,571
  ....just a reminder, you can have too much of a good thing!

...through my iPod Touch and Mojo, the SR325e sound superb - though I sometimes
use the Captune app to slightly decrease the highs for more enjoyable long-term 
listening of Tidal streams.

I sure wouldn't mind a listening session with a 325e.  With the way the treble has been handled in the new e-series, I would expect to like them and again the value proposition from Grado is amazing, but like many others have reported the L-pads absolutely murder my earlobes after 25 minutes (I wear glasses).  I also prefer the soundstage of the EarZonk G cush... not too wide so those amazing Grado mids aren't too distant, and not too close so there is still some spaciousness and separation.

I'm listening on a Grace m9xx, which seems to be a great amp for Grados.  Hearing the Chord Mojo at a recent meet was definitely impressive for such a small device... that little thing rocks hard, maybe a slightly more aggressive / compressed sound than the m9xx?  Has anyone else heard both for longer than a few minutes?

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #33,304 of 65,571

I sure wouldn't mind a listening session with a 325e.  With the way the treble has been handled in the new e-series, I would expect to like them and again the value proposition from Grado is amazing, but like many others have reported the L-pads absolutely murder my earlobes after 25 minutes (I wear glasses).  I also prefer the soundstage of the EarZonk G cush... not too wide so those amazing Grado mids aren't too distant, and not too close so there is still some spaciousness and separation.

I'm listening on a Grace m9xx, which seems to be a great amp for Grados.  Hearing the Chord Mojo at a recent meet was definitely impressive for such a small device... that little thing rocks hard, maybe a slightly more aggressive / compressed sound than the m9xx?  Has anyone else heard both for longer than a few minutes?

I wrote a thread about getting comfort right with the L-cushion. I was like you once and was about to give up forever on the Grado L-cushion. Now I can wear my L-cushion all day, for days on end.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_12461917

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #33,305 of 65,571
  Congratulations.
I've read nothing but great reviews about these HP's…can't wait to hear your impressions, enjoy!

Congratulation?, I didn't by them Joseph. My dealer lended them to me because they know how much I like headphones. These things cost $5000 CDN.
eek.gif

As you might've guessed, I had to bring out Grado's big guns for this heavy weight fight.

The construction quality of the Focal Utopia is amazing, as is their presentation. The box is covered in Rolls Royce quality leather, and the foam  Inside, is very soft to the touch.
They're heavy, but very comfortable.

Soundwise, the Utopia has deeper bass extension than the PS1k. their soundstage is also wider, and deeper, than the Grados. I comparison, I neve thought I'd say this but the PS1k have a more intimate midrange, they also have a bit more treble detail, and extension.

I ended up preferring the Utopia for Instrumental music, and live, big venue, recordings. I did however prefer the PS1k,  Jazz, Blues, and female vocals.

The Focal Utopia is definately, a first class product, however, if I was in the market for headphones in this price range, I would also consider the Stax 009, and The Abyss. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #33,306 of 65,571
Slightly confused... So the drivers in your SR 325 aren't Grado drivers?

Correct, the drivers are after market, not Grados.

Congratulation?, I didn't by them Joseph. My dealer lended them to me because they know how much I like headphones. These things cost $5000 CDN.
size]

As you might've guessed, I had to bring out Grado's big guns for this heavy weight fight.

The construction quality of the Focal Utopia is amazing, as is their presentation. The box is covered in Rolls Royce quality leather, and the foam  Inside, is very soft to the touch.

Soundwise, the Utopia has deeper bass extension than the PS1k. their soundstage is also wider, and deeper, than the Grados. I comparison, I neve thought I'd say this but the PS1k have a more intimate midrange, they also have a bit more treble detail, and extension.

I ended up preferring the Utopia for Instrumental music, and live, big venue, recordings. I did however prefer the PS1k,  Jazz, Blues, and female vocals.

The Focal Utopia is definately, a first class product, however, if I was in the market for headphones in this price range, I would also consider the Stax 009, and The Abyss. 

Congratulations anyway! 
biggrin.gif

I had no idea, I thought you had bought them.
[size=x-small]Also a good point about the 009/Abyss which of [/size]course you would want to hear before spending so much money.[size=x-small] The only drawback with the 009 would be pairing them with a good DAC and amp, and I guess the same would go for the Abyss as well. I just purchased a SR-007Mk2 to go along with the 009, but I've been without an amp for about 6 weeks due to selling my KGST knowing my BHSE would be arriving, but there was a slight delay, but I should be getting my BHSE in a couple of weeks now.[/size]

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #33,307 of 65,571

Congratulations.
I've read nothing but great reviews about these HP's…can't wait to hear your impressions, enjoy!

eek.gif

Stacker, what were you amping these with ?

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #33,309 of 65,571
  Stacker, what were you amping these with ?

I used my trusty I-POD  Nano.

Just kidding!
tongue.gif
, read on...

Correct, the drivers are after market, not Grados.

Congratulations anyway! 
biggrin.gif

I had no idea, I thought you had bought them.
[size=x-small]Also a good point about the 009/Abyss which of [/size]course you would want to hear before spending so much money.[size=x-small] The only drawback with the 009 would be pairing them with a good DAC and amp, and I guess the same would go for the Abyss as well. I just purchased a SR-007Mk2 to go along with the 009, but I've been without an amp for about 6 weeks due to selling my KGST knowing my BHSE would be arriving, but there was a slight delay, but I should be getting my BHSE in a couple of weeks now.[/size]

To be honest, I didn't even know these headphones even existed. I had just stopped by my dealer to say hi! to my salesman/friend, who is back from sick leave.

Anyway, I was on my way out the door, when the owner said to me ''wait!, you have to listen to the new Focal Utopia'', I told her that I didn't have an amp to suit the Bugatti Veyron of headphones.

She insisted, so I used my Grado HPA-2, and my vintage Marantz 2226B. The Utopia aren't hard to drive, in fact, they played slightly louder than the PS1k at the same volume.

In the end, these headphones sound way too different to say thath one sounds better than the other, and since I'm mainly a female vocals, Jazz and Blues, kind of guy, the PS1k are more in line with my tastes.

If you like classical, or any big venue recording, then I'm sure the Utopia are among the best headphones for the job. The Utopia's midrange was to recessed to convey the level of emotions that most Grados, can.

I've had the chance to listen to the Stax 009, and the ''Bond'' 007 mk2 at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and I remember getting this close to tearing up while listening to Sofia Petterson's version of ''Hallelujah'' with the 007mk2.

In my opinion, Joseph, you own two of the greatest sounding pairs of headphones on the market, I hope you realise how privileged you are.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #33,310 of 65,571
Do you by any chance listen to the likes of Carole King, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Diana Ross for female vocals (or even Mama Cass or Grace Slick or older "girl-groups" music)? I listen to this type of music on my PS1Ke and Stax 007A2.5 a lot. 
I'd be curious how these would sound on the Focal Utopia. Thanks.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #33,311 of 65,571
@stacker45 - lucky you! how did the ps1000e compare to the utopia in the areas of resolution, imaging and timbre?

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #33,312 of 65,571
  Do you by any chance listen to the likes of Carole King, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Diana Ross for female vocals (or even Mama Cass or Grace Slick or older "girl-groups" music)? I listen to this type of music on my PS1Ke and Stax 007A2.5 a lot. 
I'd be curious how these would sound on the Focal Utopia. Thanks.

To compare female vocalists, I first listened to Holy Cole's ''I can see clearly now'', then Marianna Leporace's version of ''Bizare love triangle'', and finally Rebecca Pidgeon's ''Spanish Harlem''  on SACD.

@stacker45 - lucky you! how did the ps1000e compare to the utopia in the areas of resolution, imaging and timbre?

In my opinion, the Utopia's imaging and timber are spot on. The resolution of what I could hear was very good, but the midrange, and treble had much less presence than the PS1k.
Because of this, the PS1k appeared to have a more involving, textured sound.

To be honest, the Utopia didn't convey the level of emotion that Grados do, with their great midrange, and treble presence, and  overall detailed sound.

The Utopia 's sound signature is a lot closer to Senns HD800, than it is to Grados.  I imagine that if you like the HD600, 650 700, and 800, you'll probably love the Focal Utopia.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #33,313 of 65,571
Oh, good to hear someone is fan of SACD. It's still a benchmark for me and to me there is nothing like SACD out there. Just last night I listened to Bob Dylan's greatest hits vol. 2 on sacd and it was hypnotic with vocals (and instruments) with super-natural organic realism and freedom from glare that only SACD provides for me. I know it's not politically correct but for 17 years now I feel SACD puts vinyl to shame. (Sorry to step on some toes here. Vinyl does not have the solidity and authority of SACD to my ears.)

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #33,314 of 65,571
Best portable amp for Grados?

We all know that the MAD EAR HD+, the Little Dot MK1, the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Schitt Lyr 2, and the Melos SHA Gold are GREAT amps for Grados, but they are all desk based.

What are the few top portable amps for Grados?  I ask because I read somewhere that the RS1e I just got, unlike most other Grados, really did benefit from a good amp.  I used my Beyerdynamic A 200 P portable DAC / amp (fits on your beltloop and adds the iPod transport controls as well), and there was a Clear Improvement!

But what else?  Is it the FiiO E12?  The CMOY BB 4.03 (Altoid mint tin)?  the Chord Mojo (which includes a DAC)?  

Or maybe the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, which has selectable output impedance (1,2 and 10 ohms).

Or perhaps the two great DAC/amps with 10 ohm output impedance, on paper too high for the 32 ohms of the Grado headphone input -- that is, the Sony PHA-1 or the V-MODA Verza.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #33,315 of 65,571
My big Rudistor has a fine synergy with all my Grados, so if I wanted a portable, Rudistor is the first place I would look.
My Rudi deals well with any vague sense of brashness or rough edges or scraping sensation or glare that could be coming from the recording or dac into the Grados. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back