Grado Fan Club!
Aug 30, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #33,331 of 65,649
  Best portable amp for Grados?

We all know that the MAD EAR HD+, the Little Dot MK1, the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Schitt Lyr 2, and the Melos SHA Gold are GREAT amps for Grados, but they are all desk based.

What are the few top portable amps for Grados?  I ask because I read somewhere that the RS1e I just got, unlike most other Grados, really did benefit from a good amp.  I used my Beyerdynamic A 200 P portable DAC / amp (fits on your beltloop and adds the iPod transport controls as well), and there was a Clear Improvement!

But what else?  Is it the FiiO E12?  The CMOY BB 4.03 (Altoid mint tin)?  the Chord Mojo (which includes a DAC)?  

Or maybe the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, which has selectable output impedance (1,2 and 10 ohms).

Or perhaps the two great DAC/amps with 10 ohm output impedance, on paper too high for the 32 ohms of the Grado headphone input -- that is, the Sony PHA-1 or the V-MODA Verza.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would guess the Mojo and the HiFiM8 would be good choices.  I’ve had a Leckerton Audio UHA 6S MkII for a couple of years, and it’s very portable - versatile, too  The Graham Slee Bitzie might be worth checking out...

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #33,332 of 65,649
  Oh, good to hear someone is fan of SACD. It's still a benchmark for me and to me there is nothing like SACD out there. Just last night I listened to Bob Dylan's greatest hits vol. 2 on sacd and it was hypnotic with vocals (and instruments) with super-natural organic realism and freedom from glare that only SACD provides for me. I know it's not politically correct but for 17 years now I feel SACD puts vinyl to shame. (Sorry to step on some toes here. Vinyl does not have the solidity and authority of SACD to my ears.)

In my opinion, SACD gives us most of what's good about vinyl, without any of it' disadvantages.

I'm a sucker for closed miked female vocals, so for me hearing Rebecca Pidgeon wet her lips, and inhale while she sings is pure bliss, especially on Spanish Harlem.

Oh! and I weep everytime I listen to her version of Auld Lang Syne. In fact I'm going to listen to it next, and tonight, the Grados HP1000 and HPA-2, will get the nod.
L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #33,333 of 65,649
  I have the TT and love it. (That's using my PS1k-e, GS1k i and e. Both the Hugo and the TT run pretty cool. Yep, the TT is not walkman-sized, it's 8x8x2 inches and meant for a tabletop, hence the name. It is easily packable if that's what you want though.)
From this review:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/08/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-dac-headphone-amplifier-review/

"Off-grid listening remains in tact with the battery seeing trickle charge from a switch-mode wall wart – unplug it and the Hugo TT continues as if nothing has happened. "

(I still have the original Hugo but I'm not using it since I now have the TT.)

The TT with Grado's is a real winner. I don't even bother with my GS-X MK2 with either my PS1000e or GH-1.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #33,334 of 65,649

We all know that the MAD EAR HD+, the Little Dot MK1, the Joseph Grado HPA-1, the Schitt Lyr 2, and the Melos SHA Gold are GREAT amps for Grados, but they are all desk based.

What are the few top portable amps for Grados?  I ask because I read somewhere that the RS1e I just got, unlike most other Grados, really did benefit from a good amp.  I used my Beyerdynamic A 200 P portable DAC / amp (fits on your beltloop and adds the iPod transport controls as well), and there was a Clear Improvement!

But what else?  Is it the FiiO E12?  The CMOY BB 4.03 (Altoid mint tin)?  the Chord Mojo (which includes a DAC)?  

Or maybe the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, which has selectable output impedance (1,2 and 10 ohms).

Or perhaps the two great DAC/amps with 10 ohm output impedance, on paper too high for the 32 ohms of the Grado headphone input -- that is, the Sony PHA-1 or the V-MODA Verza.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Had the same problem, finally have started reading and learning opamp and tube amp design and have designed and build my own portable tube amp(s) especially designed and finetuned for grado headphones and 32 ohm Impedance, big soundstage and my sonic preferences. Details are posted here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/85561/post-pics-of-your-builds/9765#post_12514789

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #33,336 of 65,649
  Looks really promising... nice low impedance of 0.62 ohms.  The JDS website actually says the 5 is discontinued (and priced at $9999) but replaced by the C5D at $249... in great bright RED!

The red C5 is the one I have.  I connect to my iPod with a Fiio L9 cable for line level out (30 pin dock connector to 3.5 mm).  The C5 is a really solid build, and JDS has great customer service.  As I said, mine gets used daily, and shows no signs of wear or tear after 2+ years.  Battery life is good...10-12+ hours I would guess, but I never really checked.  I have not heard the Cayin C5, but it has received good reviews regarding sound quality.  I preferred the build and design of the JDS C5.  I also had Fiio E12 and E11...no comparison to the JDS C5.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #33,337 of 65,649
To compare female vocalists, I first listened to Holy Cole's ''I can see clearly now'', then Marianna Leporace's version of ''Bizare love triangle'', and finally Rebecca Pidgeon's ''Spanish Harlem''  on SACD.

In my opinion, the Utopia's imaging and timber are spot on. The resolution of what I could hear was very good, but the midrange, and treble had much less presence than the PS1k.
Because of this, the PS1k appeared to have a more involving, textured sound.

To be honest, the Utopia didn't convey the level of emotion that Grados do, with their great midrange, and treble presence, and  overall detailed sound.

The Utopia 's sound signature is a lot closer to Senns HD800, than it is to Grados.  I imagine that if you like the HD600, 650 700, and 800, you'll probably love the Focal Utopia.

interesting. thanks.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #33,338 of 65,649
so i was sitting in the cinema about 6 hours ago (i'm actually still in the cinema, having enough time and a subscription) and saw "the mechanic".

in the beginning of this movie we see Jason Statham on a boat, with a very nice looking turntable.

he puts a record on, and lifts the tonearm, puts down the needle on the record.

attached to the needle?

The Grado statement series cartridge.

quite the surprise to see that in a closeup in cinema.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #33,339 of 65,649
  so i was sitting in the cinema about 6 hours ago (i'm actually still in the cinema, having enough time and a subscription) and saw "the mechanic".

in the beginning of this movie we see Jason Statham on a boat, with a very nice looking turntable.

attached to the needle?

Grado's on the map!

A few days ago, I was at a music store, and there was a guy trying a Yamaha e-drum, wearing a pair of Grado GR10e IEMs.

Of course, I was that guy, but still....
tongue.gif

The salesman handed me a pair of cheap closed headphones, I said no thanks, I've brought my own, you should've seen his face when he saw me reache in my pocket and whip out my GR10es.

Before I left, he said, ''I still think you should've tried it with quality headphones''. I asked him how much were his ''quality'' headphones, he answered, ''they're $79.95''. I said ''damn!, if I'd have known, I could've bought about half a dozen of those, for the price of mine...have a nice day''. He looked both shocked and skeptical.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #33,340 of 65,649

Grado's on the map!

A few days ago, I was at a music store, and there was a guy trying a Yamaha e-drum, wearing a pair of Grado GR10e IEMs.

Of course, I was that guy, but still....
tongue.gif

The salesman handed me a pair of cheap closed headphones, I said no thanks, I've brought my own, you should've seen his face when he saw me reache in my pocket and whip out my GR10s.

Before I left, he said, ''I still think you should've it with quality headphones''. I asked him how much were his ''quality'' headphones, he answered, ''they're $79.95''. I said ''damn!, if I'd have known, I could've bought about half a dozen of those, for the price of mine...have a nice day''. He looked both shocked and skeptical.
biggrin.gif

Haha, to be fair I was shocked when I saw how much can be paid generally for earphones.
ksc75smile.gif
 (I want some though. I was googling and falling in love with the GR10 after you mentioned them last time.)

Great story. Good luck with your drumming. (I am about to pounce and buy my guitar.)

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #33,341 of 65,649

attached to the needle?

Grado's on the map!

Of course, I was that guy, but still....:p

The salesman handed me a pair of cheap closed headphones, I said no thanks, I've brought my own, you should've seen his face when he saw me reache in my pocket and whip out my GR10s.

Before I left, he said, ''I still think you should've it with quality headphones''. I asked him how much were his ''quality'' headphones, he answered, ''they're $79.95''. I said ''damn!, if I'd have known, I could've bought about half a dozen of those, for the price of mine...have a nice day''. He looked both shocked and skeptical.:D

Grado is like a big secret..
And only those who have experienced it..
Appreciate it :)

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #33,343 of 65,649

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mojo all the way for me...be sure to try it and if possible audition for a few days or more....
IMHO and for my tastes magical, transporting and revelatory with my SR325e and GS1000i...
great with Grado!

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #33,344 of 65,649

Most people do not a clue about the possible quality in the world of audio.  Everything gets compared to the Apple  ear buds unfortunately.

Or they fall into the "oh it's more expensive? Must be better!" trap.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #33,345 of 65,649
Mojo all the way for me...be sure to try it and if possible audition for a few days or more....
IMHO and for my tastes magical, transporting and revelatory with my SR325e and GS1000i...
great with Grado!

I've been considering the Mojo!  But then I have also been considering the Chord Hugo, which is older, bulkier, more expensive, but is said to sound a bit better and has more different types of inputs. I also think that the small thick form factor of the Mojo, rather than say the iphone-like form factor of the Oppo HA-2, is a problem.

When I put the question about best portable amp to Grado, they said rather than a portable amp, consider a better DAP... the Astell-Kern, Sony, or Lootoo.

The difficulty I have with that is that I like the iTunes management environment, which I would lose if I used a non-Apple player and no amp/DAC.  I would imagine that Grado's recommendation are implying that one should use CD-quality or high-resolution music, rather than the AAC that Apple defaults to.  However, I cannot reliably hear a difference between files encoded in AAC (which is variable-bit-rate 256 kb/sec lossy) and CD quality, or even high resolution!  

What to do??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back