Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #33,271 of 65,642

I'm just a audiophile newbie so haven't gotten any amps yet. I just use the Poweramp music player on my Samsung Galaxy.

My Sonorous and PSB don't really need amps to sound off the wall, I think by default they are pretty amazing.

I listened to the Grados more and I'm loving them more and more. They have such a friendly and warm sound that pulls you in gradually, it just leaves you wanting more. I don't think the RS1s are worth $700 though, as good as they are. I'm definitely thinking of getting amps just for these Grados.

Thanks for the link too :)

I'm curious to know if you have an RS1 with the famed buttons. The further down the audiophile rabbit hole you go, the better your RS1 will sound in scale.
popcorn.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #33,272 of 65,642
  Hello folks

I finally got my first ever pair of Grados. They are RS1s, not the "i" nor "e" series, so obviously they are no longer being manufactured. I guess it's a rare commodity.

However, I think I overpaid for it. Got it for $500 on Ebay, I can't find the price range for the original RS1s anywhere else on the web, so I really don't know how much they should cost at market retail price.

I tried them on for the first time yesterday, and obviously it is as advertised, the midrange is unbelievable. Maybe the best I've experienced so far. Easily trumps my PSB M4U 1 and maaaaybe even my Sonrous Pandora Hope VI. However, there seems to be a problem with the drum sounds as they are very soft, it seems the instruments just drowns them out which was surprisingly disappointing and weird. My PSB and Sonorous just gives you that hard, tight assaulting drums but on these RS1s I forget the drums even exists. Is this similar to anyone else who has owned these Grados?

I just find it very strange. I did buy them used but I don't think they are malfunctioning or anything. I mean, I think it's better if I bought them used since there is already burn-in time so I don't have to waste time doing that. And these are the first Grados I've ever used so I can't compare them to any other Grado series.

I really enjoy the friendly sound and the midrange these have, but the drums just seem soft to me.

That is odd indeed, IME with many different Grados including the RS1i's
Drums - particularly snares and the like - come through loud and clear with
amazingly correct timbre.
Tympanies, kettles, and such are a little more laid back as they are supposed to be.

Since your other headphones seem to be working well with your electronics, I'd 
recommend that you phone Grado in Brooklyn.  They're very helpful and might
be able to give you an answer and/or a solution. 718-435-5340. Prolly closed till
tomorrow, of course. 
cool.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #33,276 of 65,642
I have till this point but there is just something about paying $45 when I'm really just getting them for a experiment. If the sound would be about the same I was thinking of getting the zonks just to try out.

The consensus is the Grados are more dense and made in 3 different layers of foam.
If its for an experiment then...

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #33,278 of 65,642

I'm just a audiophile newbie so haven't gotten any amps yet. I just use the Poweramp music player on my Samsung Galaxy.

My Sonorous and PSB don't really need amps to sound off the wall, I think by default they are pretty amazing.

I listened to the Grados more and I'm loving them more and more. They have such a friendly and warm sound that pulls you in gradually, it just leaves you wanting more. I don't think the RS1s are worth $700 though, as good as they are. I'm definitely thinking of getting amps just for these Grados.

Thanks for the link too :)

I think that this is a simple case of relativity. If you're used to listening to headphones that have deep bass extension, the RS1 might appear to be lacking an octave.

In my opinion, headphones that can do it all, bass, mids, treble, ''air'', and soundsatage, are few and far between. Of all the Grados that I've listen to, I'd say that the HP1000 and PS1000(e), can both do it all very well.

The Grado RA1 amp was build to be paired with first gen RS1. My RA1 is hooked up to the pre amp output of a vintage Marantz 2226B, this way, I can use of my tone controls to tailor the sound of my RS1, and it sounds great.

By the way, my RS1 are the buttoned, classic version, serial number 2390. Wich version do you have?

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #33,279 of 65,642
Ok what's everyone's opinion on the ear zonk g cush. Are the grado options really worth the extra money?

Honestly, I know most will say they like the OEM better, but to my ears, the Z's are solid. They are a little shallower than the Grados, but they still offer most of the soundstage improvement while keeping the delicious Grado midrange more intact. I liked the EZ g cush pads quite a bit on my first set of PS1000s and GH1s when I had them.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #33,280 of 65,642
I've posted my impressions of my newly-purchased, brown-headband, non-protruding driver RS1e here.  In short, I love them as one of my top Grados, but they score rather low in my three-way comparison tests on 10 acoustic features,humbling me again with the reminder that scores on those tests do not equate to listening pleasure!

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #33,281 of 65,642
Ok what's everyone's opinion on the ear zonk g cush. Are the grado options really worth the extra money?

The amazon ratings say the zonk are better than the grado versions. 

I've heard both and I think it's a value issue. Similar sound, one is way more expensive. The grados have a touch more soundstage and treble and the zonk a touch more bass IMO 

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #33,282 of 65,642
  I've posted my impressions of my newly-purchased, brown-headband, non-protruding driver RS1e here.  In short, I love them as one of my top Grados, but they score rather low in my three-way comparison tests on 10 acoustic features,humbling me again with the reminder that scores on those tests do not equate to listening pleasure!

Interesting, thank you! Do you happen to have a review of the GS2000e on the way? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that one!

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #33,283 of 65,642
Hello folks

I finally got my first ever pair of Grados. They are RS1s, not the "i" nor "e" series, so obviously they are no longer being manufactured. I guess it's a rare commodity.

However, I think I overpaid for it. Got it for $500 on Ebay, I can't find the price range for the original RS1s anywhere else on the web, so I really don't know how much they should cost at market retail price.

I tried them on for the first time yesterday, and obviously it is as advertised, the midrange is unbelievable. Maybe the best I've experienced so far. Easily trumps my PSB M4U 1 and maaaaybe even my Sonrous Pandora Hope VI. However, there seems to be a problem with the drum sounds as they are very soft, it seems the instruments just drowns them out which was surprisingly disappointing and weird. My PSB and Sonorous just gives you that hard, tight assaulting drums but on these RS1s I forget the drums even exists. Is this similar to anyone else who has owned these Grados?

I just find it very strange. I did buy them used but I don't think they are malfunctioning or anything. I mean, I think it's better if I bought them used since there is already burn-in time so I don't have to waste time doing that. And these are the first Grados I've ever used so I can't compare them to any other Grado series.

I really enjoy the friendly sound and the midrange these have, but the drums just seem soft to me.

Just for fun i bought a 14 years old sr325 (no i, is, e), no impact, bite, sparkle, sounds totally boring and lifeless, seems the drivers have reached the end of their lifetime cycle.

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #33,284 of 65,642

Interesting, thank you! Do you happen to have a review of the GS2000e on the way? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that one!

I don't own a GS2000e (yet!), but I am on the TTVJ Tour where one is being sent around the country.  I have several people still ahead of me in line for it, but I plan to publish comparisons once I get it.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #33,285 of 65,642
Just for fun i bought a 14 years old sr325 (no i, is, e), no impact, bite, sparkle, sounds totally boring and lifeless, seems the drivers have reached the end of their lifetime cycle.

They are some of my favorite, just put the right pads on them. They were good back then but they collect dust because the ps500e are that much better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back