Grado Fan Club!
Mar 13, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #31,126 of 66,288
I detected the Grattle sound on the 325is that I sold 3 years ago on this song, and from then on I always used it to detect Grattle. It's a nice song written by the (arguably) 2nd best songwriter of my country. The rattle sound, if any, can be detected at around 0:20, when the bass kicks in. Since then I've bought the RS1i, PS500, 2 other SR325is, 2 SR325e and thankfully that dreadful sound never returns. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #31,127 of 66,288

Yeah, ok. I use all kinds of music + pink noise to burn them in, and its one specific track with some double bass playing where there is a little distortion. It´s not the Grado rattle that some suggested.

Are you certain that the distortion isn't on that particular track -
i.e. you'd hear it on any headphone (or speaker  for that matter)?

If you hear it only on these Grado's, I'd return/exchange them at
the dealer from whom I bought them.

If the dealer gives you a hard time (and they shouldn't over
defective headphones), call Grado (in Brooklyn) and ask
for their advice.  Their customer service is nonpareil.

Cheers,

I´ve had Grado´s previously that rattled, but this time it was just that one track, so it´s probably the track that is distorted because i have not found bass distortion on any other tracks.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #31,129 of 66,288
  I detected the Grattle sound on the 325is that I sold 3 years ago on this song, and from then on I always used it to detect Grattle. It's a nice song written by the (arguably) 2nd best songwriter of my country. The rattle sound, if any, can be detected at around 0:20, when the bass kicks in. Since then I've bought the RS1i, PS500, 2 other SR325is, 2 SR325e and thankfully that dreadful sound never returns. 

I had three tracks which highlighted Grado grattle, however I can only remember one of them. It's by Hawkwind, on the Hall of the Mountain Grill album. It's the first rack called The Psychadelic Warlords.

I have to be careful though because there is real grattle off this track. However there is also some distortion I get with the recording, (which I can't pinpoint why.) You can spot the track distortion by playing through another sound system other than headphones.

I had grattle on two sets of Grados. My SR125i, however I did not know it was grattle. I simply freaked out and after tearing myself away from them I requested and Amazon return. I was getting distortion on the right channel for about a week, on bass stuff. Even so it was unbelievabley difficult to initiate the return. Ironically on the day when it came to sending back my SR125i, the grattle seemed to stop. Try as I may I could not make it happen again.

However I was not even aware of Grado grattle at that time. I thought they were faulty.

Anyway with SR225e in my possesion I let the SR125i go back. Funny thing was I got grattle on the 225e later. By that time though I had read about it and blowing cleared it. 

I also got into the issue of comfort with the L-pads, but solved that too. That is why I wrote a thread about it. Basically I discovered that it mattered where, up or down, on the legs the cups were. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_11345196

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #31,130 of 66,288

I had three tracks which highlighted Grado grattle, however I can only remember one of them. It's by Hawkwind, on the Hall of the Mountain Grill album. It's the first rack called The Psychadelic Warlords.

I have to be careful though because there is real grattle off this track. However there is also some distortion I get with the recording, (which I can't pinpoint why.) You can stop the track distortion by playing through another sound system other than headphones.

I had grattle on two sets of Grados. My SR125i, however I did not know it was grattle. I simply freaked out and after tearing myself away from them I requested and Amazon return. I was getting distortion on the right channel for about a week, on bass stuff. Even so it was unbelievabley difficult to initiate the return. Ironically on the day when it came to sending back my SR125i, the grattle seemed to stop. Try as I may I could not make it happen again.

However I was not even aware of Grado grattle at that time. I thought they were faulty.

Anyway with SR225e in my possesion I let the SR125i go back. Funny thing was I got grattle on the 225e later. By that time though I had read about it and blowing cleared it. 

I also got into the issue of comfort with the L-pads, but solved that too. That is why I wrote a thread about it. Basically I discovered that it mattered where, up or down, on the legs the cups were. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_11345196

Well I think Grattle IS a kind of fault. I emailed Grados and they told me to send the cans back in, but I could not trouble myself that much (shipping stuffs from my country to the US and back was and is very difficult and cumbersome). When it happened it happend a lot, I could name a few songs that I heard the dreadful rattle:
- Lenka, You Will Be Mine
- Metallica, Enter Sandman
- Haggard, Herr Mannelig 
- Madonna, You'll See

The Grattle became too significant to me, so I had to sold it cheap to someone who could take it to the US and send it to Grado. Too bad since it was that 325is that reaffirmed my love to Grado, and later on I'd buy the 325is for 2 times more. I simply love the 325 that much.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #31,131 of 66,288
Cool @lehoang15tuoi

By the way I saw a mistake in my post where I said: "You can spot the track distortion by playing through another sound system other than headphones."

I have corrected it now but it previously read; "You can stop the track distortion by playing through another sound system other than headphones.

Changes the meaning of what I said, and I ended up contradicting myself.

Anyway maybe try the Hawkwind album if you don't know them. hawkwind were great rock music. Though they say anything after about 1984/6 was not so good. I think 'Doremi Fasol Latido' is one of my favourites.

Meanwhile I am checking out Lenka.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #31,132 of 66,288
Been a while, but just letting you all know I am still alive :-D. Sitting here in my office on a Sunday, and this is getting me through the afternoon:

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #31,133 of 66,288
Hello. I don't know the other guys but after I bought my Grados It is VERY hard to use other headphone. The sound is so so so wonderful that I don't care about discomfort. :):):):):):):)

See this ... If you are a rock and jazz fusion lover you can't not switch after have a Grado.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #31,134 of 66,288
^ sure miss warren

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #31,136 of 66,288
Hi guys, im really interested in buying an open headphone and i heard grados are great. I did my homework but i found two problems, first is that grados came with a 6.5 jack, wich isnt quite portable and the second (and my biggest concern) is that its awfully uncomfortable. Would you grado owners kindly tell me your opinion on these two issues? I know this is a grado fan club but please try to be unbiased
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to The Dark Side (Grado).

First, Grados are not ''awfully uncomfortable'', if fact, the entry model's ''S'' earpads, and the high end model's ''G'' earpads are generally thought of as quite comfortable, especially those that have wooden earcups. The only models that some people find uncomfortable, are those that come with the ''L'' earpads. That being said, the RS1e, and the RS2e do come with ''l'' earpads, however they're also the lightest of the Grados. Grados have a great advantage, because you can use every earpads, with every models, wich allows you to change their sound signature, and increase their comfort level.

Second, if you've done your homework, how could you not know that  95% of Grados, come with a 3.5mm connector.

I just finished grading you homework, and well, I'm sorry but I have to give you an ''F'', as in fail, sir. You have to be thought a lesson.n ''F'' calls for a severe punishment.

You'll have to listen to Celine Dion's ''Time To Say Goodbye'' non stop for 8 hours, on a pair of Beats.
evil_smiley.gif

Oh yeah! you are allowed to get waisted while you're listening, and I strongly suggest you do.
wink.gif

Seriously though, I suggest that you buy a pair of SR80e, because they're inexpensive, they come with the very comfortable ''S'' earpads, they sound great, and if you like the Grado house sound, you can but a more expensive model, and keep the SR80e, as a second pair.

No hard feelings.
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #31,138 of 66,288

Seriously though, I suggest that you buy a pair of SR80e, because they're inexpensive, they come with the very comfortable ''S'' earpads, they sound great, and if you like the Grado house sound, you can but a more expensive model, and keep the SR80e, as a second pair.

...and they come with a 2 inch diameter jack, suitable for powering a nuclear plant or beating Grado wags over the head!

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #31,140 of 66,288
sr60e are great, I use bowl pads with mine. I actually modded them and put old MS2 cups on them and a leather headband.

I prefer them over my MS2e, v6 Magnum, 325is (sold)

They also come with a nice light cable. They have a good amount of bass and the highs aren't overly bright (less bright than the others listed). Vocals really stand out on them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back