Grado Fan Club!
Mar 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #31,097 of 65,642
  what do you guys think about G-cush pads on a set of Ms1i's with 4 holes punched? im kind of wanting a bigger soundstage for opera music. currently using the L-cush pads.

You should look into this. It can easily and cheaply done and it improves the sound tremendously. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #31,098 of 65,642
  I have been burning in my RS1i for 55-60 hours now, and i have noticed there is some distortion in the bass sometimes. Is that normal, and will it disappear?

It sounds like Grado grattle.

Either some fluff on the driver. Blowing carefully over either side of the driver is said to move it. 

Or I have heard something about a kink in the driver. I think it can be pushed out with some volume.

In both cases play some bassy music quite loud.

Or last resort, send them to Grado.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #31,099 of 65,642

I had the same problem with an new RS2e after burn in. On the right side I had a rattle / distortion.

I returned it to the dealer.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #31,100 of 65,642

I have been burning in my RS1i for 55-60 hours now, and i have noticed there is some distortion in the bass sometimes. Is that normal, and will it disappear?

No, it's not normal.

What are you playing through the headphones?  Music - what kind?  White noise, pink noise...?
What's your source?  320kb files, CD's...
And what equipment are you using - discrete components? A computer with a sound card?  Other?

Yeah, ok. I use all kinds of music + pink noise to burn them in, and its one specific track with some double bass playing where there is a little distortion. It´s not the Grado rattle that some suggested.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #31,101 of 65,642
  Yeah, ok. I use all kinds of music + pink noise to burn them in, and its one specific track with some double bass playing where there is a little distortion. It´s not the Grado rattle that some suggested.

I have had Grattle once, it always occur on bass-heavy sections of some particular songs. Blowing the driver solved the problem for just a few seconds. It was very annoying. 

Then there is this song. On ALL of my Grados it has Grattle-like sound when the drums kick in. And I'm pretty sure these cans don't suffer from the same problem as above.

Anyway I don't recommend people to do "unnatural" burn in, or at less don't do burn-in continuously. I think on the box Grado did warn us that we should not leave the cans on for more than 5 hours.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #31,103 of 65,642
Hi all, about Grado re-cabling

Shopping for a balanced amp, so where to next? I've seen lots of cable brands and they're EXPENSIVE.
Can Grados just be re-terminated? Don't really know how these things work.

Sorry this is more of a cable question, but at the Grado forum I'm sure somebody might have an answer to this.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #31,104 of 65,642
The re-cabling of grados is possible. The possibilities/combos seem to be endless. I always make my own cables but in the end I'm not sure how much money i save when you consider a good soldering station and all the associated components. However i enjoy the process. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #31,105 of 65,642
  The re-cabling of grados is possible. The possibilities/combos seem to be endless. I always make my own cables but in the end I'm not sure how much money i save when you consider a good soldering station and all the associated components. However i enjoy the process. 

Curious to know if you've ever re-cabled a RS/PS model Grado?
If so, how did you disassemble the drivers from the cups?
I know the SR models use hot glue to adhere the drivers to the cups but the RS/PS models seem to be more involved and I don't believe they use hot glue, this is why I'm asking.
Thanks!

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #31,106 of 65,642
I know some brands send the cables to Grado at Brooklyn so they assemble the headphones with the upgraded cable without having to re-solder anything. I think Stefan Audio cables does this, but again, the cable costs $500+...

Can original cables just be re-terminated for balanced operation?

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #31,107 of 65,642
Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like Grado grattle.

Either some fluff on the driver. Blowing carefully over either side of the driver is said to move it. 

Or I have heard something about a kink in the driver. I think it can be pushed out with some volume.

In both cases play some bassy music quite loud.

Or last resort, send them to Grado.

Sorry! When I posted this I mentioned paying for return to Grado repair. I was completely missing that you had said it was a new pair. I must have been falling asleep on the job.

Anyway as others said you could return them to the retailer.

Or I think Grado do provide a free service for repair under warranty.

Anyway you have all the advice now I guess.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #31,108 of 65,642
Just love how smooth the RS1e is with female vocals in this classic song.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #31,109 of 65,642
Hey Gradoholics, I've decided to sell my RS1i, as well as my MAD Ear+ (and a few DACs). If you were to mention this post, I'd be willing to offer a bit of a discount if I knew any or all were going to a loving Grado household. 

Shoot me a message if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back