Grado Fan Club!
Feb 26, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #30,931 of 65,799
hey guys,

so i stupidly sold my grado 325i's to try something else.  im pretty sure at this point im going to sell the new ones and go back to a grado.  my question to you fine people is which one should i get?  i liked my 325, but it was harsh and bright and fatiguing.  i was thinking i could try an e series which supposedly neutered the harshness, OR i could try an rs2 or a ps5000 something which ive never tried, and would be a bit of a gamble coming off the 325.  both of which are in the ballpark for the amount i could probably sell the new cans for to fund them, so itd be essentially a wash.

so as someone who liked the 325, would you -

try the 325e, pocket the extra cash
try the rs2/ps5000 gamble on a "higher" end grado with no cash output

my goal is a smoother can, less harsh, and maybe a "bit" more low end punch.  if i can get that in the other ones, id be good, but i dont want to get too far from what i liked about the 325 either.  what do you guys think?

Id move up to the RS2e. The PS500 will have more bass, but it will also have not quite the treble transparency of the RS2e (or the excess of treble you found in the SR325i, which is the brightest of all Grado headphones). But you will also find the SR325e perceptibly less bright that your SR325i. Just think you will like the RS2e better.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #30,932 of 65,799
@kayandjohn

How are you making out with your decision between the GS1Ke/GH-1?

Last I checked, GH-1 was still better than the GS1000e, but he GS1000e continues to improve with use. It may still overtake the GH-1. Seems every headphone with the e-series 50mm driver takes WAAAYY longer than others to stop improving with use.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #30,933 of 65,799
Last I checked, GH-1 was still better than the GS1000e, but he GS1000e continues to improve with use. It may still overtake the GH-1. Seems every headphone with the e-series 50mm driver takes WAAAYY longer than others to stop improving with use.

I was just wondering being you haven't mentioned anything lately about the two., thanks for the update.
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #30,934 of 65,799
let's not forget the now discontinued but still available used GS1000i, for my money (bought used at a good price) and my taste
the Best of Grado - everything just sounds so RIGHT, with a natural, full size sound stage.

...Everything Grado is known for,
in spades and utterly natural, fatigue free and high resolution. The higher end Grados, especially I believe the GS and PS models,
have the biggest, most natural sound-stage, imaging and layering, and have addictive signatures. The openness and soundstage that the
SR325e has in the midrange for example, the GS1000i has throughout the entire audio range (except doesn't excel at the VERY bottom, 
so not for bass heads but for me.....fantastic!). Still, I love the 325e and even the 80e, but when I have the option to listen
to the GS in my home setup.....the BEST of them all! 

Plus, the GS are known as one of the most comfortable hp's available...really light too!

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #30,935 of 65,799
let's not forget the now discontinued but still available used GS1000i, for my money (bought used at a good price) and my taste
the Best of Grado - everything just sounds so RIGHT, with a natural, full size sound stage.

in spades and utterly natural, fatigue free and high resolution. The higher end Grados, especially I believe the GS and PS models,
have the biggest, most natural sound-stage, imaging and layering, and have addictive signatures. The openness and soundstage that the
SR325e has in the midrange for example, the GS1000i has throughout the entire audio range (except doesn't excel at the VERY bottom, 
so not for bass heads but for me.....fantastic!). Still, I love the 325e and even the 80e, but when I have the option to listen

Plus, the GS are known as one of the most comfortable hp's available...really light too!

I owned both the gs1000i and ps500e at the same time and found the ps500e to be superior when using the same pads. I honestly loved the gs1000i though, it is my third favorite headphone I've owned right behind the nighthawk and ps500e, and in front of the hd800.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #30,936 of 65,799

Don't say this..
Kayandjohn will be forced to buy those elusive sensational gs1Ki's waiting for him at the shop.. hehehe
:)

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #30,938 of 65,799
The GH-1 really is a great pair of headphones. Very easy to listen to. Can anyone recommend a good amp/DAC for less than $300?

you could get some schiit

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #30,940 of 65,799
if anyone is looking at getting an amp for their grado headphones, or just a relatively inexpensive tube hybrid amp in general, if you are considering a little dot (which i love)
you might want to check out a garage1217 amp, yeah they cost a little more than the stock LD1+, the starlight which is the cheapest, is around $200
can roll a ton of different tubes, and opamps, is US based, and has a 5 year warranty (transferable) and customer service second to none, 
i've had my project sunrise iii for about a month now, i bought my used here, and love it, 
i know i sound like a commercial, but i'm just so impressed with it, i just had to share (again)

EH12bh7

dual 7193's

a ken rad 6sn7 on loan from our buddy whirlwind

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #30,941 of 65,799
The GH-1 really is a great pair of headphones. Very easy to listen to. Can anyone recommend a good amp/DAC for less than $300?

Schiit stack is solid, but I might recommend the Little Dot 1+ and an odac before those if we're talking a Grado specific setup.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #30,942 of 65,799
if anyone is looking at getting an amp for their grado headphones, or just a relatively inexpensive tube hybrid amp in general, if you are considering a little dot (which i love)
you might want to check out a garage1217 amp, yeah they cost a little more than the stock LD1+, the starlight which is the cheapest, is around $200
can roll a ton of different tubes, and opamps, is US based, and has a 5 year warranty (transferable) and customer service second to none, 
i've had my project sunrise iii for about a month now, i bought my used here, and love it, 
i know i sound like a commercial, but i'm just so impressed with it, i just had to share (again)

My alarm just went off, @jaywillin... It is time for you to sell those Grado buttoned RS2 headphones you got recently!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #30,943 of 65,799
My alarm just went off, @jaywillin... It is time for you to sell those Grado buttoned RS2 headphones you got recently!

the ones i'm listening to right now ???  
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #30,944 of 65,799

EH12bh7

dual 7193's

a ken rad 6sn7 on loan from our buddy whirlwind

Nice pics.....I like the looks of these amps, they also seem to make a nice variety of models and the tube rolling options seem to be off the hook!

You want that RS2 bad   
tongue.gif

Be patient   
biggrin.gif

I have been listening all morning to  Tinsley Ellis....I love this guy!

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #30,945 of 65,799
I second the Garage1217 amps with Grado's, I've been rocking the RS1e with a Sylvania 6sn7 tube for a month now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back