Grado Fan Club!
Feb 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #30,961 of 66,264
  http://www.headphile.com/page7.html

scroll to deal #6
he's out of the middle one, the 325
the rod stops are very nice

Nice, they even come with locking thumb screws!
Very cool site I saved this to my favorites.
Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #30,962 of 66,264
  Nice, they even come with locking thumb screws!
Very cool site I saved this to my favorites.
Thanks!
beerchug.gif

the thumbscrews is what i was calling rod stops, larry (owner) calls them rod "locks" not blocks, i was confused   
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #30,964 of 66,264
Feb 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #30,965 of 66,264
  Totally agree about leaving the 325 alone!

Good info on where to get a Grado headband…I didn't know about this.
beerchug.gif

I don't have a problem with mods, as long as they're totally reversible.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #30,966 of 66,264

i partially agree with this. if a mod truly improves on the original design, it can be irreversible.

if it has no improvement (recoloured parts, extra holes in weird places, etc.) then it's best left alone.
the rod stoppers are something Grado should do by default in my opinion, especially on the PS1000.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #30,967 of 66,264

i'm ok with modding from the 225 on down, the 325, iffy at best, rs and up, i'd leave as is

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #30,968 of 66,264

i partially agree with this. if a mod truly improves on the original design, it can be irreversible.

if it has no improvement (recoloured parts, extra holes in weird places, etc.) then it's best left alone.
the rod stoppers are something Grado should do by default in my opinion, especially on the PS1000.

I agree, I mean how expensive can it be. We're not talking about a big, complicated shape here. Two small cubes with a hole Inside, and two small srews.

It's not like it's never been done on Grado headphones before. Back when Joseph created the HP1000, John was already working at Grado, given that the PS1000 earcups weight more than the HP1000's...well...need I say more!
rolleyes.gif

i'm ok with modding from the 225 on down, the 325, iffy at best, rs and up, i'd leave as is

A while back, one of my SR80i drvers came undone as I was swapping earpads, and I drew my glue gun faster than Lucky Luke, to fix them.

I'm not sure that I would've done the same, if it would've happened to my PS1k. I might have sent them to Grado, before neeling to say a prayer.
wink.gif

In other words Jay, I kind of agree with you.
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #30,969 of 66,264
  he does tremendous work

It looks like he does real nice work, thanks again for the information.
beerchug.gif

I meant I wouldn't change out the aluminum cups on the 325. I'm really not into modding the sound-signature of a HP, but if its totally reversible like you said, that I wouldn't mind. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #30,970 of 66,264
I have a pair of 225i, with bass mod, holes all opened by previous owner and I was looking for an earpad. I plan on eventually getting wood cups to make this my warmer Grado to compliment my 325i with Magnum drivers. I have the L cush currently on my 325 and I like them on my 225, they sound great, however I am wondering about the G cush and how those would sound, I've read a lot on reducing bass and treble. What can I expect from the G cush. Also are the Earzonk G cush, just as good as the Grado? The earzonk are much cheaper. Any thoughts are appreciated I just wanted impressions based on the fact the my 225i have the bass mod to them.

Thanks,
James

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #30,971 of 66,264
  I have a pair of 225i, with bass mod, holes all opened by previous owner and I was looking for an earpad. I plan on eventually getting wood cups to make this my warmer Grado to compliment my 325i with Magnum drivers. I have the L cush currently on my 325 and I like them on my 225, they sound great, however I am wondering about the G cush and how those would sound, I've read a lot on reducing bass and treble. What can I expect from the G cush. Also are the Earzonk G cush, just as good as the Grado? The earzonk are much cheaper. Any thoughts are appreciated I just wanted impressions based on the fact the my 225i have the bass mod to them.

Thanks,
James

Is the bass too heavy/bloated with all of the holes punched on the 225i and do you feel the need to reduce the amount of bass?
I've tried the Grado (G) cushions on my 80i/325is/RS1i (all un-modded) and didn't care for them, I much preferred the Grado (L) cushions with all of these HP's. The only Grado HP I like much better with (G) cushions that comes "stock" with (L) cushions is the GH-1…and of course the PS1Kx.
Although I've never heard the EZ (G) cushions, from what I understand they use different foam (more dense) than the Grados cushions and are apparently one piece of foam, where as the Grados are made from 3-layers of foam.
I personally would buy the Grados. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #30,972 of 66,264
Is the bass too heavy/bloated with all of the holes punched on the 225i and do you feel the need to reduce the amount of bass?
I've tried the Grado (G) cushions on my 80i/325is/RS1i (all un-modded) and didn't care for them, I much preferred the Grado (L) cushions with all of these HP's. The only Grado HP I like much better with (G) cushions that comes "stock" with (L) cushions is the GH-1…and of course the PS1Kx.
Although I've never heard the EZ (G) cushions, from what I understand they use different foam (more dense) than the Grados cushions and are apparently one piece of foam, where as the Grados are made from 3-layers of foam.
I personally would buy the Grados. 

They are not too bass heavy with the l Cush. Just warmer. 325i is brighter, which I am used to and like a lot. I just wanted to know considering the direction I am taking the 225i, with potentially having wood cups in the future, if the g Cush would be good. if I understand correctly the 325 stock has a little more bass than the 225, and is also brighter. Seems like the bass mod brought up the bass to a 325 level and kept the highs the same. Hopefully wood cups will warm them up a rad more and be a good change of pace from the 325.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #30,973 of 66,264
They are not too bass heavy with the l Cush. Just warmer. 325i is brighter, which I am used to and like a lot. I just wanted to know considering the direction I am taking the 225i, with potentially having wood cups in the future, if the g Cush would be good. if I understand correctly the 325 stock has a little more bass than the 225, and is also brighter. Seems like the bass mod brought up the bass to a 325 level and kept the highs the same. Hopefully wood cups will warm them up a rad more and be a good change of pace from the 325.

The best answer IME I can give you is I personally didn't like my RS1i with the (G) cushions, which are of course wood, so it would come down to a matter of prferrence. I have Vibrolabs "classic" wood cups on my 80i…and to be quite honest it was more of an aesthetic change rather than a sound change. The biggest sound change came from putting Grado (L) cushions on the 80i instead of using the stock (S) cushions.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #30,974 of 66,264
  It looks like he does real nice work, thanks again for the information.
beerchug.gif

I meant I wouldn't change out the aluminum cups on the 325. I'm really not into modding the sound-signature of a HP, but if its totally reversible like you said, that I wouldn't mind. 

We're on the same page buddy.

Back when Joseph was still with us, someone had asked me why I wasn't sending my HP1000 in, to be modified.

I answered that there were multiple reasons why. In all honesty, either one of the following reasons would've been enough to convince me not to go through with this.

1) - Price, if I remember correctly, the total cost was somewhere between $1200 to $1400.

2) - I was affraid that they might get lost, or dammaged during transit.

3) - Joe's health was precarious, so what if the worst happends while he's working on my headphones. If I remember correctly, one Head-Fi member's HP1000 were gone for over a year!

4) - I bought my HP1000 because I loved how they sounded, so what if I didn't like their new sound.

Some might agree that it would've been sacrilegeous to moddify the HP1000, on the basis that it's a limited edition, but then, so are the HF-1, HF-2, PS-1, GH-1, and Bushmills.

That being said, I feel the same way about my RS-1, and my PS1000. When you think about it, these two models might not have the ''special edition'' status per say, but Grado doesn't make them anymore.

Thanks to John, I was able to put my hand on a brand new pair of RS1, wich were my first love. I gladly payed the $700 US asking price, wich is what they retailed for back in 2008. Since they're not being made anymore,, I see my classic RS1 as  ''special'' too, I wanted THAT sound, and I had to pay their price to get it. The same goes for my PS1000.

Sorry for getting away from the main subject, DAMN MEDS!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back